• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: Dash Wallet for Android - Maintenance and Support

Because of this statement, I plan to add the functionality to view and restore the wallet from the seed words. It was rather easy to add the function to view the seed (recovery phrase). Once implimented this app will support BIP39 (https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039.mediawiki), but its recovery phrases won't necessarily be compatible with any other software.

There is an existing deterministic wallet Coinomi that supports dash.

And I think Jaxx is also compatible with Coinomi, i.e., the same seed words in Jaxx and Coinomi will generate the same dash addresses.

So it would be really good if you could remain compatible with both of these wallets. Less user confusion and better convenience restoring into any wallet with the same seed.

There is an existing deterministic wallet Coinomi that supports dash.

And I think Jaxx is also compatible with Coinomi, i.e., the same seed words in Jaxx and Coinomi will generate the same dash addresses.

So it would be really good if you could remain compatible with both of these wallets. Less user confusion and better convenience restoring into any wallet with the same seed.

I agree. There are plans in Dash Core to be an HD wallet also (https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...-another-wallet-e-g-mobile.14545/#post-123792), for which there are plans to have the same derivation path as Coinomi and Jaxx.

I am giving thought to changing Dash Wallet for Android to use the same derivation path, but I need to retain backward compatibility with the current scheme.

hi guys

i have an idea that we believe can help us in scaling the user base dramatically

we want to implement facial recognition in the app and give $5 for everyone who signs up and $5 ( or even less for certain countries) to those who refer others

i have a team which is working on facial recognition and OTP verification bit in a normal app

how easy / difficult is it to integrate with the dash wallet and release it to the play store

This proposal period is complete, though a few things remain.
1. The release of v5.14 (which allows of for the use of recovery phrases) is underway at about 60%.
2. The F-droid release didn't work yet. The main developer for F-droid left and there is currently no answer to our issue on publishing on that service.

For the remaining weeks of this month, we will be submitting one or two updates to fix bugs that are reported by Google Play. Additionally work will begin on adding BIP44 support. This will allow full compatibility with dashwallet for iOS and some limited campatibility with other Dash wallets such as Jaxx and Exodus.

hi guys

can you add couple of videos that explain what dash is etc in the app ??

also a map of nearby dash merchants ( like what the blockchain app does )

are these possible , feel free to raise extra dash for these

thanks

hi guys

i have an idea that we believe can help us in scaling the user base dramatically

we want to implement facial recognition in the app and give $5 for everyone who signs up and $5 ( or even less for certain countries) to those who refer others

i have a team which is working on facial recognition and OTP verification bit in a normal app

how easy / difficult is it to integrate with the dash wallet and release it to the play store

For me this would be very difficult to integrate. My knowledge of additional interfaces and camera's is very limited.

hi guys

can you add couple of videos that explain what dash is etc in the app ??

also a map of nearby dash merchants ( like what the blockchain app does )

are these possible , feel free to raise extra dash for these

thanks

We could add a link to videos about Dash in the help section. This would have a low priority as this month we are working on fixing bugs.

This past week we found a big memory leak and made another change that resolved several users of out of memory errors, which has made this app more stable. For the rest of the month we will be monitoring feedback from emails and google play crash information and reviews.

Thanks guys , we are dropping facial recognition for now , so just focus on videos and merchant map

also can we clone your app from github add extra features release on Play store , would there be any issues ??

Thanks guys , we are dropping facial recognition for now , so just focus on videos and merchant map

also can we clone your app from github add extra features release on Play store , would there be any issues ??

There will be some issues. Cloning and publishing modified source is easy. There are some difficulties, if you wish to maintain your own app and publish it to Google Play:
1. There is continual work being done by a few developers on the Dash Wallet code. We continue to issue updates to the code so users won't have as many bugs. If you clone the app, you will need to keep it updated from our source for bug fixes and new features. Although if your developers are really good and fix some bugs, I may add some of that code into my version.
2. Our app is on Google Play and only we can publish that version since we own the application id and the signing keys. If you clone your own and you will need to rename the application and maintain a separate account for it. There will be competition, but competition can be a good thing.

Of course you could also submit pull requests to our repo and we will consider adding the changes to our code.

Thanks a lot for lengthy reply , the main issue does Google allow cloning , I understand they place some sort of ban on guys who clone or copy other apps

If that's the case we might need to come to a collaboration sort of thing we will discuss later
Thanks

@HashEngineering finding your own dash address is kind of night mare on the android app can you make it easier please

I am recommending your app to all our users 1000s of them and they are giving all this feedback

Check out the jaxx wallet and their UI it's really so good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170823-204836.png
    Screenshot_20170823-204836.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 142
@HashEngineering any plans on decreasing the fee to 0.0001 instead of 0.001 now that its official , we are planning to launch a mass campaign for the developing countries so every penny counts

Last edited:
Once the fee's are lowered on the Dash Network, we will issue an update for Dash Wallet to lower the fees in the app.

We will consider making a change to the user interface to put the QR code for the next address on the main screen.

yes please right now its incredibly difficult to copy and paste your own address and send it to others , look at much simpler UX in jaxx wallet ..

Once the fee's are lowered on the Dash Network, we will issue an update for Dash Wallet to lower the fees in the app.

We will consider making a change to the user interface to put the QR code for the next address on the main screen.
12.2 locked and loaded , waiting for your update to the App so we are fully ready for our marketing with the lowest fees on the market

Can we include mesh network in the Android app which could work in a crisis sort of situation given the fact that the data requirements are low mesh networks can help ... This is a future proof concept which we can market

I think the idea of the mesh network is that various android phones could connect to each other directly (not via the internet which will require mobile data), though at least one will need to connect to the internet to get information from the dash network.

There are many reasons why this will be difficult.
1. The app, to reduce data usage, uses Bloom Filters which means that it only receives data relevant to the addresses in its own wallet. Any other devices connected to this device wouldn't be able to receive any coins. They could send, though.
2. This relates to #1. The app is not a service node and does not keep the blockchain on the device and it does not answer requests from other nodes for block and transaction data, nor does it support bloom filters to devices requesting them.

One way to sort of support the benefit of the mesh network is to have in a particular area, one user who can have a WiFi hotspot on his device that others can connect to or the area has its own internet connection and a WIFI channel. There needs to be a way to connect to the internet to so the miners can mine sent transactions and confirm them.

i am very glad that you replied to this point .

The big reason to have mesh network just as a back-up is to give people confidence that things will indeed work when say they lose the network or something , while the shopkeeper still has access to the internet. Mesh networks are developing rapidly and with increasing internet censorship happening across the world mesh network can provide that resilience.

you also know that soon dash blockchain will soon be broadcast over satellites ,so having the mesh network as a back-up creates this invincibility for dash users from state oppression sort of thing

hope this make sense

Thanks. That makes sense. The app does support sending transactions over bluetooth and NFC. This may help achieve some aspects of mesh networks.

Back