• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: DASH TEXT - SMS Wallets for Everyone (Exclusively for Dash) - FIRST STAGE VENEZUELA

Would you support this proposal?

• Yes

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • No (Please tell us why)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I dont know yet (feel free to ask any question)

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Thanks for your pre-proposal. I think this is a fantastic idea that supports all the other initiatives in Venezuela. I too am also concerned about the associated costs of text messaging in utilizing this method as the primary way of sending Dash. It's a shame if we have to make Dash transactions more expensive in this instance when we've tried so hard on the protocol level to keep fees low, so finding some way to address added costs seems important. Perhaps you could contact cellular service providers about a possible partnership, where transmissions through your network are sent at a lower cost or subsidized in some way (i.e. like "toll free" telephone numbers)?

What kind of options would users of your service have for actually obtaining Dash in the first place? It's great that they would have the means to hold and send Dash, but how would they go about getting it in the first place, would it have to be sent from another user?

What network features would such users have access to (InstantSend, PrivateSend, etc)?

Hello Arthyron, thanks for your support !

Additional costs are not really a concern, phone companies are heavily regulated, the most basic phone plans give you 500 to 1000 SMS per month, and additional costs are 30 VEF per SMS, which is practically free, the Dash Network fee in VEF is around 7000 VEF to put it into perspective.

People can receive Dash into their Dash Text wallets by giving anyone his associated address, once inside the system, people can send and receive with their phone numbers, but can always send and receive from any kind of wallet using traditional addresses.

We will be giving 1$ in Dash to 1000 people, but the best way for people to earn Dash is to work and get paid in Dash, and now a lot of people have a way to charge, we think this is gonna help us in the Dash Merchant Freelancer program, now more people will be motivated to help us get to more merchants since they can now charge their freelancer commission fast and easy.

Atm just basic Tx will be available, for the use cases of these wallets we project that most people would not use InstantSend and PrivateSend, but we do want to add them in the future to have a more complete product.

- Lorenzo Rey

This seems a very cost effective proposal with a big upside. If this assists in usage and penetration of new markets you have my votes.

A big bonus is this being adapted to other countries.

This seems a very cost effective proposal with a big upside. If this assists in usage and penetration of new markets you have my votes.

A big bonus is this being adapted to other countries.

Hello ewok, thank you so much for your support ! And yes we want to take this to many countries in the future.

-Lorenzo Rey

Thank you man, and yes we know about that project, already took inspiration from them and will continue to !

-Lorenzo Rey
Lorenzo, you said above you are not holding users funds, so users are not depositing Dash into an address for which you control the private key? Then users would need a smartphone app or light server running somewhere else that can sign their own transactions and respond to the SMS API calls ?

Hi everybody how are you! I think it's not good or very good, but it's EXCELLENT! I'm going to mention my reason why:

1. Connectivity and use: In Venezuela, we are experiencing a very difficult situation with connectivity, not only from the Internet connection, but also at the level of telecommunications operators, since there are areas where coverage at the Data service is non existent and to be take others options.

2. Technical Feasibility: Now this moment, several banking institutions use SMS messaging as a means of mobile payment, and a large flow of daily transactions is made. If banks are using P2P as an alternative to the means of payment, I believe that our as a community can create and develop something much better for Dash users.

3. Massification, adoption and use: I have an idea that I am developing (Possible Startup), Where can I use at Dash as a means of payment. This proposal that you are offering covered an existing and valid need in regions where Internet access is limited, where should can use 2G mobile coverage which is currently what exists in those areas of the country. From own experience that there are areas of the country where CDMA1X technology is still used for technical feasibility. This would allow many people to adopt and use DASH as a means of payment for products and services in the remote area where the limitations exist.

4. Economic and social development: a community where the economy can be promoted and their education, can make its sustainable as well as more advanced prepared for the adoption of other projects or businesses related not only to Dash but also to other means of payment in the medium or long term.

5. Tropicalization and validation: The success of this project and that are stakeholders to it can be repeated in countries where they have the same variables or conditions, countries in Africa, the Middle East remote areas where connectivity is reduced and lead to the tropicalization of this tool.

I'm really excited to see these things, to be done here in Venezuela and with export quality, where you can meet needs, leverage them and in turn allow us to move forward as a sustainable community and sustainable society. Count on my vote!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

¡Hola a todos como están! ¡Me parece no Bueno ni muy Bueno sino EXCELENTE su propuesta! Les voy a mencionar el por qué:

1. Conectividad y uso: En Venezuela estamos viviendo una situación muy difícil con la conectividad, no solo de parte de la fluidez de la conexión a internet, sino también a nivel de las operadoras de telecomunicaciones, ya que existen áreas donde la cobertura a nivel de servicio de datos es inexistente y se tiene que recurrir a otras opciones.

2. Factibilidad técnica disponible: Actualmente varias instituciones bancarias usan como medio de pago móvil la mensajería SMS, permitiendo así realizar un gran flujo de transacciones diariamente. Si los bancos están usando los P2P como alternativa a los medios de pago, creo que ustedes como comunidad puede crear y desarrollar algo muchísimo mejor para los usuarios Dash.

3. Masificación, adopción y uso: Yo actualmente tengo una idea que estoy desarrollando (una posible startup) donde se pueda integrar a Dash como medio de pago, esta idea que ustedes están proponiendo cubre una necesidad existente y valida en regiones donde el acceso a internet es limitado o nulo, solamente donde puedan usar cobertura móvil 2G que actualmente es lo que existe en esas zonas del país, por experiencia propia se que hay áreas del país donde todavía se utiliza tecnología CDMA1X por factibilidad técnica. Esto permitiría que muchas personas adopten y usen la cripto como medio de pago para productos y servicios en zona remotas donde existan las limitaciones.

4. Desarrollo económico y social: Una comunidad donde se pueda impulsar la economía y a su vez promover su educación dará sustentabilidad y sostenibilidad a la misma, así estarán más adelantadas y preparadas para la adopción de otros proyectos o negocios relacionados no solo con Dash sino con otros medios de pago a mediano o largo plazo.

5. Tropicalización y validación: El éxito de este proyecto y que vayan asociados con el mismo podrán replicarse en países donde presenten las mismas variables o condiciones, países de África, Medio oriente o zonas remotas donde la conectividad sea mermada y conlleven a la tropicalización de esta herramienta.

De verdad me emociona ver estas cosas, que se hagan acá en Venezuela y con calidad de exportación, donde se pueden cubrir necesidades, apalancarse en ellas y que a su vez nos permitan avanzar como comunidad sostenible y ser sociedad sustentable. ¡Cuenten con mi voto!

I met every member of this team at CriptoLatinFest in Bogota, Colombia (June 2018). I believe in them as members of the community. They are hard workers and knowledgeable about Dash and Crypto.
  • Will each user have a different public Dash address that he can review on a blockchain explorer? Who will have access to the private keys?
  • If this new project receives funding, how will working on it effect your other projects that are already funded and in progress?
Thank you!
ec1warc1

I met every member of this team at CriptoLatinFest in Bogota, Colombia (June 2018). I believe in them as members of the community. They are hard workers and knowledgeable about Dash and Crypto.
  • Will each user have a different public Dash address that he can review on a blockchain explorer? Who will have access to the private keys?
  • If this new project receives funding, how will working on it effect your other projects that are already funded and in progress?
Thank you!
ec1warc1

Hello Edward! thanks for your comment and support, regarding your questions:

- Totally, phone numbers will be used as seeds to generate keypairs which generate addresses, these addresses are unique to each individual and people can look them up in any explorer. BlockCypher handles these keys. If you want to claim your private keys DashText will provide a command for people to get them, with added security steps of course. However, it’s much safer not to broadcast your private key over SMS. And for the use cases of these wallets, access to your address is more than enough for most people.
- This project will not affect our other projects in any regard, since the majority of the development is being done by a fresh team of developers that I am leading.

Thanks again for your support Edward!
-Lorenzo Rey

@LorenzoRey I agree, sending a private key over SMS is a bad idea. It would be better to request that the user send his Dash to a different wallet, one that he controls. What other reason could there be to request the private key? Could you explain a little more what you mean by "BlockCypher handles these keys"?

Also:
  • how will working on this new project effect your other projects that are already funded and in progress?

@LorenzoRey I agree, sending a private key over SMS is a bad idea. It would be better to request that the user send his Dash to a different wallet, one that he controls. What other reason could there be to request the private key? Could you explain a little more what you mean by "BlockCypher handles these keys"?

Also:
  • how will working on this new project effect your other projects that are already funded and in progress?

Yes, BlockCypher is a well known BlockChain Solutions company, they are allies to Dash.

Regarding your other question, I mistakenly hit the "post reply" button before finishing the entire post, so I edited it with the answer, however I will paste it in this reply as well:

"- This project will not affect our other projects in any regard, since the majority of the development is being done by a fresh team of developers that I am leading."

I should also add that there's is synergy between the projects. Dash Help will be providing official support to Dash Text. So any questions or doubts you have as a user you can easily give us a call or use our live chat or ticket support on our website.

And also this will help us in the Dash Merchant program, Dash Text wallets are perfect for merchants who operate in places with bad reception, and are also great in our freelancer program, we can now have more people working to bring us more merchants since they can be paid via SMS !

Thanks again for you comment

-Lorenzo Rey

Last edited:
me gusta esta propuesta, aquí en Republica Dominicana se usan muchos los mensajes de texto para operaciones de los "colmados" pequeños negocios en las calles del país "bodegas" en Venezuela. puede servir mucho para la red de pagos, esperaremos a ver como evoluciona y luego expandirlo por acá. saludos.

The idea is not bad, I really like this proposal.

But I think there is a shortage in the security part about the wallets that should be clarified in their proposal document or that should be integrated, although it does provide a solution to people who do not have the purchasing power to have a smart phone and we know that having a wallet of a dash in a smart phone is very safe, placing a use case: I as a user of DashText, how can i know that I am safe when using the platform, it would be ideal to clarify how security works and how they will make Dashtext users feel safe. Taking into account that users of DashText in Venezuela without purchasing power of a smart phone, are sure to be with their phones walking on the street, which would make me feel safe knowing that my non-smart phone could be stolen? and the funds with her too, or that my phone number could be cloned? I think that is what should be clarified before more than one solution becomes a problem for people.

Regards!

Lorenzo, you said above you are not holding users funds, so users are not depositing Dash into an address for which you control the private key? Then users would need a smartphone app or light server running somewhere else that can sign their own transactions and respond to the SMS API calls ?

We generate the wallets using Blockcypher, so they hold the funds, they are a respected blockchain solutions company and an ally to Dash. Users don't need to run any additional software what so ever.

-Lorenzo Rey

Hi everybody how are you! I think it's not good or very good, but it's EXCELLENT! I'm going to mention my reason why:

1. Connectivity and use: In Venezuela, we are experiencing a very difficult situation with connectivity, not only from the Internet connection, but also at the level of telecommunications operators, since there are areas where coverage at the Data service is non existent and to be take others options.

2. Technical Feasibility: Now this moment, several banking institutions use SMS messaging as a means of mobile payment, and a large flow of daily transactions is made. If banks are using P2P as an alternative to the means of payment, I believe that our as a community can create and develop something much better for Dash users.

3. Massification, adoption and use: I have an idea that I am developing (Possible Startup), Where can I use at Dash as a means of payment. This proposal that you are offering covered an existing and valid need in regions where Internet access is limited, where should can use 2G mobile coverage which is currently what exists in those areas of the country. From own experience that there are areas of the country where CDMA1X technology is still used for technical feasibility. This would allow many people to adopt and use DASH as a means of payment for products and services in the remote area where the limitations exist.

4. Economic and social development: a community where the economy can be promoted and their education, can make its sustainable as well as more advanced prepared for the adoption of other projects or businesses related not only to Dash but also to other means of payment in the medium or long term.

5. Tropicalization and validation: The success of this project and that are stakeholders to it can be repeated in countries where they have the same variables or conditions, countries in Africa, the Middle East remote areas where connectivity is reduced and lead to the tropicalization of this tool.

I'm really excited to see these things, to be done here in Venezuela and with export quality, where you can meet needs, leverage them and in turn allow us to move forward as a sustainable community and sustainable society. Count on my vote!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

¡Hola a todos como están! ¡Me parece no Bueno ni muy Bueno sino EXCELENTE su propuesta! Les voy a mencionar el por qué:

1. Conectividad y uso: En Venezuela estamos viviendo una situación muy difícil con la conectividad, no solo de parte de la fluidez de la conexión a internet, sino también a nivel de las operadoras de telecomunicaciones, ya que existen áreas donde la cobertura a nivel de servicio de datos es inexistente y se tiene que recurrir a otras opciones.

2. Factibilidad técnica disponible: Actualmente varias instituciones bancarias usan como medio de pago móvil la mensajería SMS, permitiendo así realizar un gran flujo de transacciones diariamente. Si los bancos están usando los P2P como alternativa a los medios de pago, creo que ustedes como comunidad puede crear y desarrollar algo muchísimo mejor para los usuarios Dash.

3. Masificación, adopción y uso: Yo actualmente tengo una idea que estoy desarrollando (una posible startup) donde se pueda integrar a Dash como medio de pago, esta idea que ustedes están proponiendo cubre una necesidad existente y valida en regiones donde el acceso a internet es limitado o nulo, solamente donde puedan usar cobertura móvil 2G que actualmente es lo que existe en esas zonas del país, por experiencia propia se que hay áreas del país donde todavía se utiliza tecnología CDMA1X por factibilidad técnica. Esto permitiría que muchas personas adopten y usen la cripto como medio de pago para productos y servicios en zona remotas donde existan las limitaciones.

4. Desarrollo económico y social: Una comunidad donde se pueda impulsar la economía y a su vez promover su educación dará sustentabilidad y sostenibilidad a la misma, así estarán más adelantadas y preparadas para la adopción de otros proyectos o negocios relacionados no solo con Dash sino con otros medios de pago a mediano o largo plazo.

5. Tropicalización y validación: El éxito de este proyecto y que vayan asociados con el mismo podrán replicarse en países donde presenten las mismas variables o condiciones, países de África, Medio oriente o zonas remotas donde la conectividad sea mermada y conlleven a la tropicalización de esta herramienta.

De verdad me emociona ver estas cosas, que se hagan acá en Venezuela y con calidad de exportación, donde se pueden cubrir necesidades, apalancarse en ellas y que a su vez nos permitan avanzar como comunidad sostenible y ser sociedad sustentable. ¡Cuenten con mi voto!

Hello Manuel! Completely agree with everything you said, thanks for taking the time to write such an elaborate response to this pre-proposal. Comments like yours give us extra energy to work even harder. Thank you so much for your support Hermano!

-Lorenzo Rey

me gusta esta propuesta, aquí en Republica Dominicana se usan muchos los mensajes de texto para operaciones de los "colmados" pequeños negocios en las calles del país "bodegas" en Venezuela. puede servir mucho para la red de pagos, esperaremos a ver como evoluciona y luego expandirlo por acá. saludos.

Gracias por el apoyo! Esperamos que Dash Text se utilice en el futuro en muchos "colmados". Jaja

-Lorenzo Rey

The idea is not bad, I really like this proposal.

But I think there is a shortage in the security part about the wallets that should be clarified in their proposal document or that should be integrated, although it does provide a solution to people who do not have the purchasing power to have a smart phone and we know that having a wallet of a dash in a smart phone is very safe, placing a use case: I as a user of DashText, how can i know that I am safe when using the platform, it would be ideal to clarify how security works and how they will make Dashtext users feel safe. Taking into account that users of DashText in Venezuela without purchasing power of a smart phone, are sure to be with their phones walking on the street, which would make me feel safe knowing that my non-smart phone could be stolen? and the funds with her too, or that my phone number could be cloned? I think that is what should be clarified before more than one solution becomes a problem for people.

Regards!

Hello Jose, thanks for your support, very good questions, we will publish an FAQ with a lot of focus on security when we publish the proposal on DashCentral. But for now I can give you the following answers:

- Dash Text wallets are not meant to be your primary tool for storing your funds, for example, you got cash in your physical wallet and someone steals it from you, you just lost those funds. Just like you shouldn't carry all your fiat money in your pocket, you shouldn't carry all your Dash in a Dash Text wallet, these are wallets for microtransactions and to make your life easier in the streets, we will be very clear about this when marketing the product.

-However Dash Text wallets will be safer than just cash in your pocket, funds are controlled by the phone number, if someone steals your phone, you can just call the phone company and report that SIM card as stolen and they will shut it down, then you just ask them for a new SIM card with the same phone number and you'll have access to your funds again in your new phone.

-Phone cloning is a very unlikely scenario and one that requires a lot of work from the attacker, since these wallets are not meant to store much funds, we do not see an incentive here for thieves. However we will explore other possibilities to defend users against this type of threat.

Thanks again for your questions!

-Lorenzo Rey

Last edited:
Back