Pre-proposal: Dash Product Placement in Hollywood productions

GrandMasterDash

Grizzled Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Jul 12, 2015
Well, if you're not going to drop some names on us, then I'm voting no.
Will dash get Mr Robot? Billions? Startup?

jimbursch

Mar 5, 2017
if you're not going to drop some names on us
But if you read Julie's posts, you see lots of names being dropped on us. Of course we can't promise specific placements on specific shows; that's simply not how product placement works.

Think of HERO as Dash's Hollywood talent agent. Every actor knows that their agent can't promise them a part in any show they want. The agent works the studios, production companies, and industry relationships to get a part for the client. That's what HERO will do for Dash. And unlike an actor, Dash can bring some deal sweeteners in the form of placement fees and assets.

By the way, there's another thing we should consider. Dash will be the first and only crypto currency that will hire a Hollywood agent, and I think the sheer novelty of that will draw a lot of interest from entertainment industry press. If there is one thing that Hollywood loves, besides fame and money, it is fads, and you know they feel the heat being generated by crypto at this time. You and I know that this isn't just a fad, but Hollywood doesn't care.

GrandMasterDash

Grizzled Member
Jul 12, 2015
But if you read Julie's posts, you see lots of names being dropped on us. Of course we can't promise specific placements on specific shows; that's simply not how product placement works.

Think of HERO as Dash's Hollywood talent agent. Every actor knows that their agent can't promise them a part in any show they want. The agent works the studios, production companies, and industry relationships to get a part for the client. That's what HERO will do for Dash. And unlike an actor, Dash can bring some deal sweeteners in the form of placement fees and assets.

By the way, there's another thing we should consider. Dash will be the first and only crypto currency that will hire a Hollywood agent, and I think the sheer novelty of that will draw a lot of interest from entertainment industry press. If there is one thing that Hollywood loves, besides fame and money, it is fads, and you know they feel the heat being generated by crypto at this time. You and I know that this isn't just a fad, but Hollywood doesn't care.
$200K for mere speculation, no commitment to anything specific.

I hear what you're saying and to some other larger organisation it's probably worth a punt.. and that's the key word here, punt.

What else would $200K buy for dash? Dash was previously offered it's own documentary and that was rejected due to cost. And here you are, nothing specific, when I'm thinking it could be better spent elsewhere.

GrandMasterDash

Grizzled Member
Jul 12, 2015
Perhaps it's worth reminding and comparing that core have been talking about a high profile ad they've managed to arrange that was made at a fraction of the cost.

TheSingleton

Mar 27, 2017
$200K for mere speculation, no commitment to anything specific.

I hear what you're saying and to some other larger organisation it's probably worth a punt.. and that's the key word here, punt.

What else would $200K buy for dash? Dash was previously offered it's own documentary and that was rejected due to cost. And here you are, nothing specific, when I'm thinking it could be better spent elsewhere.
While I mostly agree with you if the budget isn't full, I think this is still worth it. And I don't expect the budget to be completely used up this month.

Reactions: akhavr

jimbursch

Mar 5, 2017
@TheSingleton makes a good point. There is no opportunity cost at this time.

@GrandMasterDash -- if after reviewing HERO's track record of success for many clients over 20 years in the industry you are not convinced this is a good proposal, can I get an abstain? ;-)

I also want to emphasize the point that Julie makes about the value of product placement inside a production vs. an ad-spend. The placement lives on with the production forever -- into syndication, reruns, future binge-watchers on Netflix. It also lives on in its association with a loved program, characters, and actors. Ads are fine for what they can do, and yes, you can spend less money on an ad. But here is an opportunity we can afford and that will pay dividends well into the future -- a future that will soon include Evolution.

We can even feature a Dash placement in an ad -- "Dash: digital cash as seen on..." (Mr. Robot, Silicon Valley, Billions,... sorry, name dropping is a time-honored Hollywood foible).

GrandMasterDash

Grizzled Member
Jul 12, 2015
I get the whole product placement thing. I fully understand it could raise dash's profile. I am not against product placement.

I simply don't like the risk-reward being presented i.e. zero specifics.

When I mentioned the dash ad, I fully understand it's apple and oranges. My point was, core applied lateral thinking and came up with the goods at a fraction of the normal cost. Where is the creativity and innovation in this proposal? What is going to make this product placement any different than, say, two FBI agents talking about "bitcoin" and "the dark web"? Yes, dash digital cash might be a novel product placement, but that's because it's a unique product, not a novel placement or creative solution. Now if, for example, you would selling us a $2M placement at $200K because you was going to try something novel never done before... then you might have me.

jimbursch

Mar 5, 2017
@GrandMasterDash -- you drive a hard bargain and I totally respect that, and I respect your view and your vote.

Getting a $2M placement is our goal, we just can't promise it. If we did, we wouldn't be honest.

This town is full of hucksters who will promise you the moon and the stars, and leave you penniless and heartbroken.

I think Julie has had a long successful career in Hollywood in part because of her integrity, which is what attracted me to her company. When it comes down to it, we are making an investment in HERO Entertainment Marketing Inc. on behalf of Dash. As with every investment, there is risk, but I think with HERO the risk is minimal.

Julie Weinhouse

Jun 9, 2017
@GrandMasterDash, we are trying to stay out of the discussion because we would prefer that the Dash associates communicate without outside influence, but I feel some input is required per your last post.

I have attached a still from Fate of the Furious. The film has grossed over $1.5 billion dollars internationally and this photo of Ludicrous using a clearly branded Razer laptop has amassed an estimated media value of $10 million. The fee to production was zero. We simply provided clearance and loaned laptops. If your feeling is that a product placement exposure like this one would not be beneficial to the expansion of Dash's popularity, then I am on your side; this program is not right for the brand. But the most important take way from this as pertains to your thoughts, is that HERO did not know how the final exposure would turn out when the placement deal was made.

A nice model to compare what we do to is roulette. By engaging HERO, Dash is enabling us to put as many Dash chips on the table as possible thus increasing the odds that the silver ball will fall into a slot with a number we've covered. It would be disindigenous for me to suggest that HERO would not profit from Dash as a client. We are a business and our model requires that we have clients. Half of our roster has been with us for more than a decade (RE/MAX, Lumber Liquidators, Haworth Office chairs, etc.) and Razer has just signed on for two more years. So, the decision to retain us should be made with an understanding of all of the facts surrounding HERO, our track record and our reputation.

Attachments

Reactions: bhkien
May 19, 2017
I think this is a great marketing practice in principle, but Dash does not have the level of ubiquity that Razer has. Every gamer recognizes the Razer logo because we've been buying their keyboards and mice for 20 years.

Unless a character specifically went out of their way to explain the Dash block chain to someone, this doesn't seem like something that would facilitate any kind of retention. You would have to secure an unfeasible amount of dialogue.

Silicon Valley featured the Samsung Gear VR in Season 2, but they referred to it as the Oculus because Samsung Gear VR is too many syllables.

Amanda B Johnson recently did a great video on the embryonic state of Dash brand recognition. I tend to agree with her.

Just my two cents. :)

jimbursch

Mar 5, 2017
This proposal is about brand recognition and positioning, not user acquisition. We want to move the needle from "Never heard of Dash" to "Dash? That's digital cash, right?" Our message is brilliantly simple "Dash: digital cash" and we can place it in a context, in our culture, far ahead of every other crypto. In fact we can so identify the concept of digital cash with Dash so that every other crypto, including Bitcoin is excluded.

Super8

Mar 27, 2015
I think this is a great marketing practice in principle, but Dash does not have the level of ubiquity that Razer has. Every gamer recognizes the Razer logo because we've been buying their keyboards and mice for 20 years.

Unless a character specifically went out of their way to explain the Dash block chain to someone, this doesn't seem like something that would facilitate any kind of retention. You would have to secure an unfeasible amount of dialogue.

Silicon Valley featured the Samsung Gear VR in Season 2, but they referred to it as the Oculus because Samsung Gear VR is too many syllables.

Amanda B Johnson recently did a great video on the embryonic state of Dash brand recognition. I tend to agree with her.

Just my two cents. :)
I think it is quite easy to envisage a scene where a character is making a bitcoin payment (and frustrated by having to wait a long time for a confirmation) and another character says something about Dash Instant send... maybe this is a little bit heavy handed and blunt... but, I think you get the picture.

GrandMasterDash

Grizzled Member
Jul 12, 2015
One of the problems I have is, it is easy to imagine "bitcoin" being mentioned or discussed without anyone paying for such placement.

jimbursch

Mar 5, 2017
it is easy to imagine "bitcoin" being mentioned or discussed without anyone paying for such placement.
Which is exactly why we need an agent in Hollywood representing Dash. HERO is reviewing scripts every day, looking for opportunities for their clients. If they see bitcoin mentioned in a script, that is a golden opportunity for Dash. At the very least, they will contact the writers, producers, etc. and educate them about Dash digital cash and of course try to persuade them to use it in their production.

It's going to be a tough sell in the beginning, no doubt about it, but as Dash rises and bitcoin sunsets, it will get easier. This is why we are doing a 1-year engagement; we are playing a long game that, in time, will pay off big time.

Reactions: Uppercut and akhavr

Tallyho

Mar 15, 2015
Proposal Evaluation Committee

Hi jimbursch,

Here is your first PEC Report.

Couple of notes:
• There is NO pass/failure mark. The percentage simply allows us to create a Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals. The idea being that a MNO with very little time can concentrate on Proposals at the bottom of the list only. MNO’s with more time will obviously look at all proposals as per normal.
• The evaluation also enables the Evaluators to look for scammers etc and red-flag a proposal that is a possible danger to Dash. They have more time and tools to look for the tell-tale signs.
• How did the Evaluators decide on marks: PEC Evaluator Guidelines https://goo.gl/Futw1d
• MNO’s have been very lenient in the past. So even if you have, what you might consider a low mark, you might still pass the Vote ;)
Most Important: The evaluation is to give you an idea of where you can improve your proposal to have a better chance of earning MNO votes.

When you improve your proposal, please color all new material in red and don’t delete any word/sentence, but use strike through. This will make it easier for the evaluator to find changes, when she or he re-evaluates your improved proposal. The MNO’s will also so be interested to see what you changed to improve your proposal.

Since you were unlucky enough to submit your Pre-Proposal just as the PEC started, you had a handicap: You did not know the importance of the Dash Project Proposal Template https://goo.gl/m0jgfS . This Template was created some years ago by the MNO’s to get all the information that they need to make an informed decision. It is also the easiest way for you to earn extra marks. If your proposal did not cover a question in the Template – just put the Heading and answer in your detail doc. If your proposal does cover the question: Just put the Heading with the words: See original Proposal.
E.g.: Project Scope - Milestones and Schedule: See original Proposal.

We know this is a painful bureaucratic exercise, but once you’ve done your improvements for this 1st one, the next couple of improvements (maybe just one?) will be easy, and of course – you are bound to have more proposals in the future!

Good luck!
170624 jimbursch-Hollywood Tallyho R1.jpg

zmyslowasowa

Mar 3, 2017
It's a great idea!
You have to think about it now as may take some time before Dash actually appears in a movie/show.

MizzyMax

Feb 14, 2017
This is a lot of money we would be trusting you with , with very little commitment shown. Once you prove you can successfully conduct the bug program, then I would suggest you put in this proposal.

jimbursch

Mar 5, 2017
Thanks @MizzyMax

I decided a couple of weeks ago to postpone this proposal because I didn't think conditions were right for it in this cycle. And, you're right, it needs to wait until I have established a good track record managing large projects for the Dash community.

I am thinking of reworking this into a larger Dash Hollywood project that will promote Dash in the entertainment industry here in Los Angeles.

MizzyMax

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @MizzyMax

I decided a couple of weeks ago to postpone this proposal because I didn't think conditions were right for it in this cycle. And, you're right, it needs to wait until I have established a good track record managing large projects for the Dash community.

I am thinking of reworking this into a larger Dash Hollywood project that will promote Dash in the entertainment industry here in Los Angeles.
Great! Its good to see a community member like you in Dash utilizing large amounts of the Treasury funds. We have a lot to spend and it's great you are finding routes to give it use. Best of luck with you!

zmyslowasowa

Mar 3, 2017
Being cheap doesn't pay off in the end.
If we want to do something big (and I hope we do), it is a good idea to rely on a pro.
Relying on amateurs may be a good idea sometimes but it can also mean wasting time and money.

djcrypto

May 27, 2014
For those of you who are finding yourselves leaning toward HERO's program, the next questions to consider are, what is Dash's story and what is the most concise way to communicate it both visually and verbally?
I think Julie is right - if we want to make the leap from nerd tech to something people want to learn about and use, we need a way to tell Dash's story in a popular show like Silicon Valley. This would create incredible buzz and desire to learn about and use DASH. As much as our crypto-anarchist ideals wouldn't like to admit, Hollywood is still the major source of social engineering in the West and IMO we must use the system to our advantage. I will vote yes (x4) on this and will be excited to see what HERO can do for DASH.

Reactions: akhavr

Super8

Mar 27, 2015
I think we should be ambitious concerning projects like this. Think BIG. BE BOLD. (Fortune favours the brave.)

Having contacts like Jim's in the Hollywood world are probably rare in the Crypto space. We should take advantage of opportunities like these.

Reactions: CaptAhab

djcrypto

May 27, 2014
I think this could be an huge win for DASH and well worth the investment.
It would generate buzz and raise awareness at the same time.

I think Silicon Valley would be a perfect target.
Imagine Bighead being too broke to pay for a slurpie and "DASH Accepted here" sign at the register. Then Guilfoyle uses DASH to pay instantly via QR code. Then a line such as "I like privacy and speed. You should too".

That said, I would like to see this proposal in Q3 so that any potential exposure could be done to compliment Evolution.

Reactions: Super8

craigums

Jul 7, 2017
I think that a great way to communicate the dash story would be to have a protaganist character use it to his advantage to outsmart someone. That would both show part of its USP as well as adding brand awareness.

Reactions: Super8