• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal - Dash Governance by Community

yidakee

Foundation Member
Dash Governance by Community - DGbC

The idea sparked into my mind the other day, following some forum discussions and some official Slack discussions.

I personally hate seeing funds go to waste each month, in a sense that they’re there, ready and available, yet don’t get used because all the proposals don’t add up to the exact available amount.

Some out-voted proposals exceed the available total, or others get down-voted, so they’re not funded. This leaves a gap each month where funds are not produced, nor burned. In essence, they’re useless.

My idea would be a month-to-month proposal that attempts to “fish” these remaining funds and allocate them to further the development of Dash. They would be held and managed by the community.

The workflow would mimic that of DGbB. Anyone in the community can propose a project, and put it up to vote.

If the vote is passed, the requested funds are sent, and the project monitored by the community.
It would necessarily need to be a month by month only thing, as the amount is completely unpredictable.

If the vote(s) do not pass or there are funds left overs, these roll over to the next month.

Don’t want to get too ahead of myself, this is not a formal presentation, but a feeler pre-proposal/discussion thread.

How do you feel about this so far? Ask me hard questions.

Brainstorm Addendum:

- If this were to to happen and fail, the 'fished' funds can be either burnt, donated to the Foudation, or any other end, voted on formally by Masternode from a formal proposal to the DGbB.
- Funds held in a multisig address by veteran team&community members
- no project can exceed 33% of total fund, and after 3 funding rounds all remaining funds are liquidated or burnt to prevent fund build-up / greed down-vote / risk exposure.

Last edited:
Dash Governance by Community - DGbC

The idea sparked into my mind the other day, following some forum discussions and some official Slack discussions.

I personally hate seeing funds go to waste each month, in a sense that they’re there, ready and available, yet don’t get used because all the proposals don’t add up to the exact available amount.

Some out-voted proposals exceed the available total, or others get down-voted, so they’re not funded. This leaves a gap each month where funds are not produced, nor burned. In essence, they’re useless.

My idea would be a month-to-month proposal that attempts to “fish” these remaining funds and allocate them to further the development of Dash. They would be held and managed by the community.

The workflow would mimic that of DGbB. Anyone in the community can propose a project, and put it up to vote.

If the vote is passed, the requested funds are sent, and the project monitored by the community.
It would necessarily need to be a month by month only thing, as the amount is completely unpredictable.

If the vote(s) do not pass or there are funds left overs, these roll over to the next month.

Don’t want to get too ahead of myself, this is not a formal presentation, but a feeler pre-proposal/discussion thread.

How do you feel about this so far? Ask me hard questions.

IS THIS WHAT YOU THINK THE DGBB IS FOR?

;]

If there are funds left overs, these roll over to the next month.

I agree with that, and I wonder why this is still not implemented.
I though it was obvious that leftover budget funds should roll to the next month, and I am surprised when I discovered that this is not happening.

Where are they, those funds? how many are they? Can you point to a link, can you show those leftover funds to us?

Last edited:
The DGBB I would hope.... power and/or privileges like these usually equates to corruption.

In the current framework though it couldn't be the DGBB, it would have to be whoever controls the payout address. Unless we're talking about changing the protocol itself to allow for rollover

I agree with that, and I wonder why this is still not implemented.
I though it was obvious that leftover budget funds should roll to the next month, and I am surprised when I discovered that this is not happening.
Where are they, those funds? how many are they? Can you point to a link, can you show those leftover funds to us?

This is cross posting from your other thread. You've still not understood how GGbB works, so I kindly ask you to let those who do understand how Dash's governance models work to debate.
There are no leftover funds to point to. There are monthly un-allocated funds however.

In the current framework though it couldn't be the DGBB, it would have to be whoever controls the payout address. Unless we're talking about changing the protocol itself to allow for rollover

This would not be at a protocol level. I'm talking about submitting a proposal each month, near the end of the vote cycle, to try and 'grab' the leftover funds so that we can allocate them to something useful. IMHO it would be great to implement this at a protocol level no doubt. Right now it would have to be a month-by-month thing.

This is cross posting from your other thread. You've still not understood how GGbB works, so I kindly ask you to let those who do understand how Dash's governance models work to debate.
There are no leftover funds to point to. There are monthly un-allocated funds however.

This would not be at a protocol level. I'm talking about submitting a proposal each month, near the end of the vote cycle, to try and 'grab' the leftover funds so that we can allocate them to something useful. IMHO it would be great to implement this at a protocol level no doubt. Right now it would have to be a month-by-month thing.

How do you expect to manage/ let someone manage that budget proposal?

2 of 3, or 3 of 5 multisig address by veteran team members&community members

Or do you mean a project?

First answer was fine.

I'm fine with that, as long as we get a way to ensure it doesn't *accidentally* turn into a priority.

Wouldn't it create some weird incentive not to approve certain budgetary items in an effort to "save" the Dash for the next "possibly" cool project?

First answer was fine.

I'm fine with that, as long as we get a way to ensure it doesn't *accidentally* turn into a priority.
Wouldn't it create some weird incentive not to approve certain budgetary items in an effort to "save" the Dash for the next "possibly" cool project?

I guess. That really depends on the voting mechanism. I have a few ideas about it, but still need to think harder on this. The whole idea behind this is to get people involved with Dash a little more, spark the creative juice, maybe even a little VC funding to later propose something to the DGbB itself?

Anyway, we could think of a mechanism to prevent that, like for example, no project can exceed 33% of total fund, and after 3 funding rounds all remaining funds are liquidated or burnt ? I-ll put this in the OP for now. but welcome more ideas on it.

I guess. That really depends on the voting mechanism. I have a few ideas about it, but still need to think harder on this. The whole idea behind this is to get people involved with Dash a little more, spark the creative juice, maybe even a little VC funding to later propose something to the DGbB itself?

Anyway, we could think of a mechanism to prevent that, like for example, no project can exceed 33% of total fund, and after 3 funding rounds all remaining funds are liquidated or burnt ? I-ll put this in the OP for now. but welcome more ideas on it.

I like the idea as a whole, just needs a little preparation before application.

I like the idea as a whole, just needs a little preparation before application.

Absolutely agree. That is the whole point of this thread. Either make something rock-solid to propose, or drop the idea entirely. I'll be updating the OP accordingly.

Absolutely agree. That is the whole point of this thread. Either make something rock-solid to propose, or drop the idea entirely. I'll be updating the OP accordingly.

You didn't catch my funny!

-1 Troll point /u/Yidakee

Also, maybe we can vote on the ways to use this as a "micro dgbb"? :D

For buying smaller things like single contractors for cheap work or w/e? (Thats an example...)

You didn't catch my funny!

-1 Troll point /u/Yidakee

Also, maybe we can vote on the ways to use this as a "micro dgbb"? :D

For buying smaller things like single contractors for cheap work or w/e? (Thats an example...)

i don't quite follow, mind expanding? The idea really is a 'micro DGbB' though.

i don't quite follow, mind expanding? The idea really is a 'micro DGbB' though.

Whole - Preparation - Application....

Anyways, my point was like say we wanted to hire someone or purchase something relatively cheap/unimportant that the entire Dash community doesn't need to vote on, for example a software to organize everyone or something like that.

Like what if we wanted to throw $100 at some specific website for a small ad campaign, it could come fro this, no?

Again, just examples.

Whole - Preparation - Application....

Anyways, my point was like say we wanted to hire someone or purchase something relatively cheap/unimportant that the entire Dash community doesn't need to vote on, for example a software to organize everyone or something like that.

Like what if we wanted to throw $100 at some specific website for a small ad campaign, it could come fro this, no?

Again, just examples.

Precisely. Use Fiver.com to create material, buy a domain and wordpress theme for a project, organize or sponsor a small event or initiative, fund a dev for some sort of development one might imagine but has no skills... Imagination is the only limit.

Precisely. Use Fiver.com to create material, buy a domain and wordpress theme for a project, organize or sponsor a small event or initiative, fund a dev for some sort of development one might imagine but has no skills... Imagination is the only limit.

Just to be a dick, we (certain people) have suggested this idea a few times, but hey atleast its catching on! :D

Just to be a dick, we (certain people) have suggested this idea a few times, but hey atleast its catching on! :D

Some people talk, other people do. It came to my attention Evan proposed this himself a while back, but nobody stepped up. Totally missed it or I would have proposed this before. It shouldn't be too difficult.

What could be difficult is to keep this civil and professional so we can attract people to this initiative, create something formal and gain Masternode approval. If we collectively work to get this up and running in a nice and smooth way, only good things can come out of it.

Some people talk, other people do. It came to my attention Evan proposed this himself a while back, but nobody stepped up. Totally missed it or I would have proposed this before. It shouldn't be too difficult.

What could be difficult is to keep this civil and professional so we can attract people to this initiative, create something formal and gain Masternode approval. If we collectively work to get this up and running in a nice and smooth way, only good things can come out of it.

Not all of us have the "ability" or "privileges" to simply DO like you sadly :p

Good initiative though! Let's see where it goes!

Back