• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

POLL: MN voting participation rate

For a proposals to succeed it should require a minimum participation rate of:

• 30% of all MNs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50% of all MNs

• 60% of all MNs

• 70% of all MNs

• Undecided

• Total voters

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
In theory, a small number of MNOs can attain 25% of all potenital votes, thus allowing for the possibility of collusion, skewed results and less diversification Some might say those MNOs have a greater amount at stake, while others might say it opens the doors to possible abuse. It might be said, in the fiat world, large amounts of wealth in the hands of a few people lead to corruption. What do you think?

If MNs don't vote in a proposal, it could mean they don't care if it passes or not, or that the votes counted so far indicate the option they would choose would pass, or that they didn't want to bother with voting at all. Unless an "abstain" vote option is implemented, you can't tell anything from the participation rate. Therefore, I think there should be no minimum participation rate.

Currently............. 10% to pass

If 4000 MN's - you have to have 400 votes YEA to pass....
....then you have to beat back all the NEA votes to pass

I'm not gonna go into all the math but it works out to be a pretty solid setup in an active community

Those that do not vote have simply ABSTAIN[ed]

We have some dedicated DASH ABSTAIN[er's]

anywho.....

edit-spelling

And the 10% IS the minimum participation rate....

....I left that out......

I don't think we need to save the MNOs from themselves. If a small group has 10% of the nodes, votes yes, and none of the rest of the 90% of the network votes at all (in other words they do not object), then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't pass.

Or to put it another way,
Suppose there are 4000 Masternodes. The first proposal has a unanimous 400-0 vote. The second proposal has 600 more votes on each side, to 1000-600. You're saying that we should allow the second, clearly more controversial one to pass, but *not* the first uncontroversial one because of minimum participation?

Last edited:
I don't think we need to save the MNOs from themselves. If a small group has 10% of the nodes, votes yes, and none of the rest of the 90% of the network votes at all (in other words they do not object), then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't pass.

You have to save the masternodes , because they are enslaved in this 10% without being asked about it. You have to ask the masternodes, what is the percentage they prefer, and fix the percentage according to the wish of the masternodes.

Finally , it is obvious that even if the percentage can be fixed to whatever number, and even if this number is dynamic and can change in the runtime according to the votes of the masternodes, it will never be ok for all types of proposals. Variable participation rate based on the value of the proposal. THIS THE ONLY RATIONAL SOLUTION. Because you need a different participation if there is a proposal that applies taxes to the masternodes, and a different participation if there is a proposal that asks for the forum to change color!

Thus, FOR EVERY PROPOSAL, a DOUBLE VOTE is need.
You should NOT vote (YES/NO/OTHER). You should be allowed to vote (YES/NO/OTHER, minimum participation percentage).

Example: Every masternode, for every proposal, should be allowed to vote like this: (YES, 17%)

The above example assumes that the final minimum participation percentage will be decided according to a fixed selection process.
If your fixed selection process is decided to be the average, and (for a specific proposal) you have the below votes...
(yes, 15%), (no, 20%), (yes, default) <---- for the example lets say "default" is decided (or voted) to be 10%
...then the final minimum participation for the specific proposal is calculated like this:
(15+20+10)/3=15%

Finnaly, if you do not agree with the idea of the fixed-predecided selection processes, then you need a TRIPLE VOTE in order to let the masternodes to decide also the selection processes.

<vote history> <-- why vote history is usefull?
30% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
40% of all MNs 1 vote(s) 14.3%
50% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
60% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
70% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Variable participation rate based on the value of the proposal 4 vote(s) 57.1%
There shoudl be no minimum participation 2 vote(s) 28.6%
Undecided 0 vote(s) 0.0%
</vote history>

Last edited:
<vote history> <-- why vote history is usefull?
30% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
40% of all MNs 1 vote(s) 11.1%
50% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
60% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
70% of all MNs 0 vote(s) 0.0%
*Variable participation rate based on the value of the proposal 5 vote(s) 55.6%
There shoudl be no minimum participation 3 vote(s) 33.3%
Undecided 0 vote(s) 0.0%
</vote history>

Last edited:
Back