• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pay to name Evolution Concept

camosoul

I see a problem with some of the claims made in the recent DIP5 blog.

1) QR Codes are intimidating.

Since when?

2) Paying to a username is simpler.

No, actually, it isn't.

The username still has to be input. It still has to be acquired. Type it I, I troducing user error? Slower than scanning a QR Code.

And it also breaks the chain of inherent knowledge.

Once received, how does the receiver know from when we it came? In the conventional model, it doesn't matter, because a unique address had been presented for the transaction. But now, everything goes to a central point. How does the vendor know which customer sent it for which transaction? This was I weren't to the transaction model previously, but now it's broken.

This smells of the continued complete lack of interest in the vendor's needs. To the point of taking a bad vendor experience and making it worse.

Further, I see talk of deliberately avoiding any fiat bridge.

You have to bridge the gap before you can fill the gap.

Like it or not, vendor's vendors are forced to be in bed with legacy systems. You have to make it easy for them to bridge that gap.

Is adoption not the goal anymore? You had the golden feature with InstantSend, but still aren't capitalizing on. How do you expect to reach adoption if there's still nowhere anyone can use DASH in real life? And the reason for that being, you continue to make the vendor experience completely untenable.

You need simplicity. People walk up, scan, agree, fiat appears in the vendor's bank account. The vendor has the option to learn more, and if they so choose, hold a percentage as crypto, certain transactions, or shut off fiat conversion at some future point as they learn more, and if they feel like it.

Adoption will occurred when people can actialla use it. The only remaining barrier is that vendor's still can't do what they need. Evolution)DIP5 looks like a solution in search of a problem that actually generates new problems.

I'm not the only one that tried to bring something like this to market only to have the DASH community, and even some of the leadership, FUD and shut down every single project aimed at this. Even to the point of holding known bugs to use as an excuse.

Do you really intend to reach adoption by deliberately staying in your echo chamber?

As I understand it pay to usernames will just be another option.

So there will be pay to qr, pay per nfc and pay to username/pay paymentrequests.

You probably won’t find pay to username interactions too often in real life. Usually you will fulfill payment request the merchants gives you in these various ways.

I totally agree regarding the avoidance of fiat bridges. We need to get way from the fiat hating attitude. If we want to switch the currency behavior of the world we need to have bridges for this multi year long process. I’m not sure how to fix this attitude but it’s certainly a conversation we need to have

I don't think paying to a username is intended to be used for merchant point of sale, just for sending funds to people who are in your contact list. Someone correct me if I am mistaken

Hi Camosoul,

You may want to read up on the comments on : https://www.dashcentral.org/p/Dash-Nation-DFO-2018-2019
This "Pay to name Evolution Concept" thread of yours is getting flagged as a "Shitpost" by DeepBlue in there and i'm not sure why.

I don't think paying to a username is intended to be used for merchant point of sale, just for sending funds to people who are in your contact list. Someone correct me if I am mistaken

It is still unclear to me how DashCore wants to implement DIP 5 exactly, with regards to both users and merchants.

Last edited:
Hi Camosoul,

You may want to read up on the comments on : https://www.dashcentral.org/p/Dash-Nation-DFO-2018-2019
This "Pay to name Evolution Concept" thread of yours is getting flagged as a "Shitpost" by DeepBlue in there and i'm not sure why.

I could be wrong, but I don't think DeepBlue was referring to the OP. :D

It is still unclear to me how DashCore wants to implement DIP 5 exactly, with regards to both users and merchants.
I think camo has some good points but also think the jury is still out on this until we actually see how it is intended to be used by merchants and consumers. I can't imagine a POS where someone has to type in a pay-to-username being a good idea either but I don't think that's what DCG is actually doing. Or are they? o_O

I could be wrong, but I don't think DeepBlue was referring to the OP. :D

Then i'm thoroughly confused who DeepBlue was referring to in this thread and more importantly .. why.
If DeepBlue was referring to the first reply on OP (which comes near his mentioned 12:00 (AM ?) CEST time yesterday), it still does not make any sense to me.

DeepBlue -1 point,21 hours ago
There is an official term to what I'm describing i.e. lots of low quality posts designed to disrupt or damage the healthy functioning of a discussion forum. According to Wikipedia the behaviour I have described is officially called "shitposting"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shitposting

I notice there are some new shitposts today in the GENERAL section of the forum and once again some of the contributors are the ones I've already reported yesterday. Again with inane contributions.

Here are the Shitposts in the General section of forum today 12:00 CEST time:

https://www.dash.org/forum/topic/general-discussion.2/

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...above-board-slim-abnormal-and-membrane.41347/

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/pay-to-name-evolution-concept.41334/

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/how-do-i-start-crypto-currency-trading.40735/

If you read the above posts ask yourself these questions:

Have these post added value to the forum?

Have these post taught me something new or enabled me to see things from a new perspective?

Have these posts challenged my way of thinking?

Have these posts enabled me to better understand someone's point of view?

Have these posts elaborated on a worthwhile theme that is associated with DASH?

If we deleted these posts what damage would it do to the forum? What would we lose?

In my opinion these are "shitposts" They are pushing valuable content articles further down the page which means they are damaging quality posts because content "below the fold" of the page is less frequently read. Therefore they are disrupting the health of the forum in my opinion.

qwizzie 0 points,17 hours ago
Can you please explain why you think the "pay-to-name-evolution-concept" from Camosoul is a "shitpost", when we are even having a proposal polling of the network about it ?
(https://www.dashcentral.org/p/DIP5-BlockchainUsernamePricingModel)

Unless you are referring to a specific comment inside that thread, but so far i can tell none of the comments qualify as being labeled a "shitpost" and they all seem to be on-topic.

Last edited:
A simple test. Go to google and try to create a new account / username that you actually want. It's a very frustrating process to find one where you don't add a string of random numbers just to make it unique. Let alone short usernames. This is what happens when things are free or affordable.

Not to mention, every service wants you to create Yet Another Username, and invariably you can't get the same username across all platforms.

If usernames are optional, it might be simpler to use phone numbers and let the masternode network deal with SMS verification in a distributed fashion i.e. each node can choose the SMS provider.

I can't imagine QR codes being removed. The only "easier" thing about user names, is when you make recurring payments, or pay friends for lunch, or your kids for allowance. And their main use will be to see where your Dash went/to whom. QR codes obviously win. Since everyone is getting used to QR codes due to a million daily uses, I wouldn't think that is an issue. However, paying to a "name" is far more private as the wallets generate a new address each time for the general user. True, a POS will do that for a store, but I don't know of an "easy" way to do this via a general user. Also, I'm sure it will be combined. When you get your friend's info, it could be delivered via QR code. So basically, I don't know who wrote that comment, but I agree with Camo, it's not correct. These things will not be mutually exclusive, but rather inclusive and will be amazing. I can't wait :)

To be (hopefully) clearer, The user name is kind of the lowest level of usability that Evolution supplies. Sure, it'll be nice to get your friend's name and be able to pay each other for stuff by simply choosing their name on a list in your wallet, but what happens under the hood will have many more uses that increase privacy without any general user interaction, and the applications that can be built on it are endless.

Last edited:
Back