• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Onyx Release & Mining Pools

1000+ individuals? I have 5 myself, I know some who have multiple mn's too, lot more... yea rite!

Also, there can only be so much masternodes while there can be unlimited supply of pools.

Last edited by a moderator:
1000+ individuals? I have 5 myself, I know some who have multiple mn's too, lot more... yea rite!

Also, there can only be so much masternodes while there can be unlimited supply of pools.
Is there any hard limit on the number of pools/mn's? I think having pools and masternodes are just the same. What we need is one single decentralized pool which make sure no one can cheat by having many pools/mn's. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cross-posted from BCT because I think it's relevant to development, and I agree with it:
eahmadov said:
Normally if a darkweb drug market accept your coin that would be a big deal and should have affected the price positively. We have adoption by not only one but two darkweb markets but price market doesn't give a shit about the news. Probably masternode operators are sick of seeing "tx_0_vout_1" and "not_detected" and they are dumping 1000drk at a time.

Everyone knows that we will not get 90% of pools switching to ONYX, yet we prefer to be in denial and stare at the charts like idiots hoping magically 90% will appear. There must be a better solution than being at the mercy of pools.

Unfortunately pools don't understand that their stubbornness hurting them as well. Darkcoin price should be around 20$ now but we are crawling around 2$ because of the damn struggle between MNs operators and pools. At 20$/DRK pools would still make more money even if the profit is split 50/50 with Masternodes.

If we cannot get pools to cooperate and upgrade fast every-time there is an update then this is gonna be a race to the bottom: price will continue to drop and we will see more and more masternode owners dumping their coins to cut their losses. Outcome: lose-lose!

Time to fucking wake up folks. Pools will go ahead and mine the next coin that is profitable. What is masternode operators going to do? Sell their investment for 0.001?

KPzSmCK.png

Cross-posted from BCT because I think it's relevant to development, and I agree with it:

I don't understand how we can wait for 90% compliance when there is a hostile pool (top 4th on drk.mn) taking advantage of the lack of enforcement and controlling 10.40% of the mining. Are we fooling ourselves by setting 90% goal or waiting for weeks while benign masternodes are loosing profit?

With new wallet version I would give only 3 days MAX! to update, who will not will get orphans thats all. If someone decides to have a pool he need to be on time with updates etc...
Month for updating to get enforcment on is IMHO not a good move....

I don't understand how we can wait for 90% compliance when there is a hostile pool (top 4th on drk.mn) taking advantage of the lack of enforcement and controlling 10.40% of the mining. Are we fooling ourselves by setting 90% goal or waiting for weeks while benign masternodes are loosing profit?

Wafflepool is also not paying some blocks but I agree with you. After Waffle updates enforcement should be enabled

Centralised pools are a complete perversion of Satoshi's intent. The sooner they are eradicated the better. And if Darkcoin comes up with a viable means of doing so (we could have have one - decentralised mining via Masternodes) we'll be a hell of a lot better off in all ways.

It would also be excellent PR: Darkcoin solves the 51% problem that hangs like the Sword of Damocles over the head of every other cryptocurrency.

Centralised pools are a complete perversion of Satoshi's intent. The sooner they are eradicated the better. And if Darkcoin comes up with a viable means of doing so (we could have have one - decentralised mining via Masternodes) we'll be a hell of a lot better off in all ways.

It would also be excellent PR: Darkcoin solves the 51% problem that hangs like the Sword of Damocles over the head of every other cryptocurrency.

Mine through the masternode p2pool network?

Mine through the masternode p2pool network?
Or have MNs function as normal pools, whichever works best. But require all mining to happen via MNs one way or another.

Misbehaving MNs can be booted instantly. As things exist now, misbehaving pools have us all at their mercy.

Are you sure you mean the masternodes would perform mining in the form of PoW, or do you mean they are simply responsible for consensus and signing blocks as in a type of PoS scheme? I can understand the latter but not necessarily the former.

I started a thread to try and capture this topic here
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/masternode-proof-of-stake.2720/

Are you sure you mean the masternodes would perform mining in the form of PoW, or do you mean they are simply responsible for consensus and signing blocks as in a type of PoS scheme? I can understand the latter but not necessarily the former.

I started a thread to try and capture this topic here
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/masternode-proof-of-stake.2720/
No, the Masternodes themselves wouldn't be mining (unless they had the spare CPU capacity and the MN owner wanted to), they would act as pools currently act, miners would just have to point their rigs at Masternodes, either specific Masternodes, or ideally just Masternodes-in-general and the network would sort the rest out. Doing it this way would also make much simpler mining integration via the official wallet possible, and might thus encourage more regular users to mine too.

Masternodes would continue to do all that they already do, just have miners under control as well.

Yes, this would be a big shake up and involve a lot of work, but Evan + team are competent and I think it's the direction we should be heading. Let's make the most of Masternodes... :smile:

miners would just have to point their rigs at Masternodes, either specific Masternodes, or ideally just Masternodes-in-general

While I'm interested in p2pool implementations involving masternodes, onion routing (masternode ip masking) would (should!) hide the ips' p2pool might need. Proxy services (servers) could be built to support the p2pool traffic as a onion/garlic-routed service frontend separate from the masternodes themselves. They could be rewarded a fraction of the block for handling the p2pool traffic.

... miners would just have to point their rigs at Masternodes, either specific Masternodes, or ideally just Masternodes-in-general and the network would sort the rest out...

Please ask a pool-operator of your choice what hardware/bandwidth/maintenance effort is needed to operate a pool and report back.

I have PM'd Propulsion to ask about specs/bandwidth.

Does propulsion run p2pool nodes? That, I think, should be our ultimate goal. Distributed everything-possible. (and estimates from many sources to calculate max p2pool bandwidth)

Does propulsion run p2pool nodes? That, I think, should be our ultimate goal. Distributed everything-possible. (and estimates from many sources to calculate max p2pool bandwidth)
He runs the darkcointalk pool. I don't see it being an issue - whatever specs/bandwidth are needed, all those pool ops out there aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts... they presumably cover server costs.

He runs the darkcointalk pool. I don't see it being an issue - whatever specs/bandwidth are needed, all those pool ops out there aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts... they presumably cover server costs.

Running a pool requires a lot of ressources (a mid-sized one). You're talking a few servers in cluster, ssds on most of them, proxys, an excellent ddos protection, great sysadmining knowledge, a lot of time, and then even more time.. You can't do this on a 5$ vps like you can run a masternode with.

As far as bandwidth requirements goes, its usually couple tb's a month mining traffic/blockchain/front-end traffic. You also need quality providers to ensure people can properly connect to you. That itself isn't cheap.

You keep spitting on the mining side of thing. Doing it via masternodes vs non-masternodes result into just different kinds of centralisation.

Diversity being a good thing, you want to get rid of any of it. If people don't agree to the same terms as masternodes, they should have their world too unless you want to establish a nazi-alike regime in here.. seems to be what you're preaching for.

Just keep in mind.. who is paying to your masternodes ;)

PS: We do cover the servers and a little extra for our time, but the amount made clearly is cheaply paid for the amount of time involved in keeping a stable and secure operation. We've been here a couple of months, sucks to see people like you trying to tear up Darkcoin

Running a pool requires a lot of ressources (a mid-sized one). You're talking a few servers in cluster, ssds on most of them, proxys, an excellent ddos protection, great sysadmining knowledge, a lot of time, and then even more time.. You can't do this on a 5$ vps like you can run a masternode with.

You keep spitting on the mining side of thing. Doing it via masternodes vs non-masternodes result into just different kinds of centralisation.

Diversity being a good thing, you want to get rid of any of it. If people don't agree to the same terms as masternodes, they should have their world too unless you want to establish a nazi-alike regime in here.. seems to be what you're preaching for.

Just keep in mind.. who is paying to your masternodes ;)

PS: We do cover the servers and a little extra for our time, but the amount made clearly is cheaply paid for the amount of time involved in keeping a stable and secure operation. We've been here a couple of months, sucks to see people like you trying to tear up Darkcoin

Dude, pools ain't paying crap at the moment. I am only getting "tx_0_vout_1" and "not_detected" from greedy pools for more than a week now. if this is gonna repeat every time we have a new release then there is no incentive to run a masternode. The current system has put us in a downward spiral.

Dude, pools ain't paying crap at the moment. I am only getting "tx_0_vout_1" and "not_detected" from greedy pools for more than a week now. if this is gonna repeat every time we have a new release then there is no incentive to run a masternode. The current system has put us in a downward spiral.

I'm all up for a 3 to 5 days enforcement. People that have darkcoin pools usually follow and are aware of updates. Those who wait on purpose are just greedy and should be enforced upon.
I updated within 1 hour to make sure lonecrouton would not be mad.

Back