• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Moving CoinJoin out of the protocol and into a separate wallet (e.g., fork of Wasabi)

While I was researching JoinMarket I found this:

Nice list. So far I've not had this happen to me but it adds fuel to my caution. There is also this retrospective attack on privacy:

All these events encourage me to just steer clear of centralized exchanges. I'm thankful that DEXs are more common and a little more liquid than they used to be. Still a long way to go but we're getting there.

Moving coin mixing out of the Dash protocol and into separate wallets and networks decentralizes this feature. There is that magic word everyone loves so much.

Now how are you going to argue against that?

CoinJoin is a privacy (not anonymity) and fungibility feature, why in the hell would we want to trust it to a 3rd party when we already have LLMQs devoted coding to it?

I'm glad you asked Agnew. The Dash implementation of CoinJoin is terrible in comparison to Wasabi! We don't take advantage of Tor, and we can't offer "masternode blinding" for coin mixing. Wasabi offers both these things right now. If you don't want to use the Wasabi zkSNACKS coordinator, we could launch our own coordinator. It's open source.

I'm glad you asked Agnew. The Dash implementation of CoinJoin is terrible in comparison to Wasabi! We don't take advantage of Tor, and we can't offer "masternode blinding" for coin mixing. Wasabi offers both these things right now. If you don't want to use the Wasabi zkSNACKS coordinator, we could launch our own coordinator. It's open source.

Not as easy as it sounds, the upstreams for Equihash don't match X11 requirements, but let's go changing the basic architecture of Dashcore right before we prepare for a Dash Platform release. Brilliant!

Last edited:
IF Wasabi works with Bitcoin, I assume a fork for Dash would not be THAT much work and would not involve any change to Dashcore.

CoinJoin is a privacy (not anonymity) and fungibility feature, why in the hell would we want to trust it to a 3rd party when we already have LLMQs devoted coding to it?

Slight technical clarification - LLMQs are unrelated to / not part of CoinJoin which predated them by a number of years.

"Privacy is the ability to keep some things to yourself, regardless of their impact to society. ... So privacy is a concept describing activities that you keep entirely to yourself, or to a limited group of people. In contrast, anonymity is when you want people to see what you do, just not that it's you doing it."

It's more complicated than you suggest Agnew. You might choose to mix your coins before donating to a public address for a controversial project, and in that case you would be using Dash to anonymize the transaction. If you use mixing to send funds to people you already know, then I suppose you are using Dash for the purpose of privacy..

The only thing we can say is that Coinjoin allows one to send Dash such that the originating address cannot be known, but is one of a finite set.

Back