Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Moocowmoo's Magic Masternode Maker

Discussion in 'Dash Websites' started by moocowmoo, Dec 22, 2014.

1. nemo

nemo New Member

I'm using your (very nice) service and I'm wondering what happens when the 90 day "Service remaining:" clock runs out? Do we pay more to the original addy or is there a notice of some kind about where and how much to pay? Can we pay in advance to prevent outage? I'm sure you address all this somewhere, but I haven't found it.

Thanks!

2. moocowmoo

moocowmoo Bovine Bit-flipper
    Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

Dash Address:
    XmoocowYfrPKUR6p6M5aJZdVntQe71irCX
    hi nemo, thanks for signing up!

when your subscription nears expiration I'll email you a reminder with the payment address and amount.

email me at [email protected]

also follow me on Twitter for occasional direct message updates: @masternode_me

feel free to ask any questions you may have.

and, thanks again for choosing my service!

3. nemo

nemo New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, moocowmoo.

My first thought is that email would be a security/privacy vulnerability for both of us. What am I overlooking?

It's a quirk of our era that we have all these fabulous communication tools available - if we don't mind who else reads our private correspondence.

Sorry to sound like a curmudgeon - reassure me (please). ;)

4. moocowmoo

Dash Address:
    I use zerobin.net for anything confidential. the "burn after reading" setting guarantees either: only you have access to the message, or you know it was compromised (because the message isn't there to read)

I intend to automate the renewal process eventually, but having a way to contact users is still a necessity due to dash updates and the (very) occasional requirement to resend masternode start due to outages.

any other concerns?

5. nemo

nemo New Member

That's the kind of reassurance I was hoping for. Thank you!

I get your point about needing to contact users - I am not completely relaxed about email or social media for that but I have little at stake so it's not a deal-breaker for me. Heh - I don't use social media (Twitter, FB etc.) at all though. Anyway I hope you find a way to handle it elegantly in time (half-baked suggestion - more signed messages to/from MN addys?). Meanwhile, I'm OK and happy with your service - it has already saved me a lot of time and hassle.

6. moocowmoo

Dash Address:
    You're welcome. I do my best to keep things secure.

Yes, so please do send an email so I can get in touch if need be.
    As far as twitter goes, with two-factor auth and using a vpn it's secure enough for direct messages.
    The message contents aren't anything that would require high security/protection.

Since there's no keys involved, I'm not sure what you'd like to see secured.
    More specifically, the service payment address for each masternode will never change, so you can always refer to your wallet to make sure you're funding the proper address.

Glad you're enjoying the service! I tried to make it as easy as possible.
    Version two is in the works, but I'm a full time daddy so I'm not going to make any promises about delivery time. Maybe early next year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. nemo

nemo New Member

Thanks, moocowmoo, and good luck with parenting - the first twenty years are the hardest.

Perhaps I misunderstand the email vulnerability issue. My impression is that anyone snooping our exchange of email could learn ownership of two Dash addys (your deposit destination and my MN identity). "This email address owns that Dash address" kind of thing. From there a determined snoop could eventually get to "this meatspace-person owns that Dash account", I assume.

Your zerobin.net comment resolves this for single messages, but not for keeping a communication channel open (I think). Maybe if I set up a new dedicated but not throwaway account with some provider.... Gotta think it through more.

As you can probably tell, 'puter security is not my area of expertise. I get a ton of spam directly attributable to the bct email breach a few months back so I tend to be more twitchy about such things than I used to be. Oh - I don't use social media mainly because I'm a hermit irl - it's not a security phobia thing (yet). ;)

8. moocowmoo

Dash Address:
    you are way over thinking this.

Send me your email and get notified when action is required on your part, or don't and keep up with dash's development releases and changing requirements.

I recommend the first option.

9. nemo

nemo New Member

Ouch - you are probably right.

It's an understanding thing. I'm not sure whether your outgoing emails will say something like "Hey everybody, you have to restart your MNs because there is a new release" or "Attention MN owner X12345blahblah your Service Remaining counter has almost expired. Please send n Dash to address Xblahblah23456." It is the latter possible variant that I am fussing about.

Sorry if I am being obtuse - it's not intentional.

10. moocowmoo

Dash Address:
    No need to apologize.
    I apologize for being curt.

Rest assured I'll keep your information confidential.
    Please email me at [email protected] so I can notify you when *needed*.
    It's part of the service you're paying for. :)

11. Cowan

Cowan New Member

Great service! Very easy and cool! Thanks a lot!

12. elishagh1

elishagh1 Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. moocowmoo

Dash Address:
    Very nice, my first article!

You've got one thing wrong though. I'm not a newcomer to the space, I just don't have much time for self promotion and marketing.
    Masternode.me was the first masternode service, started December 2014.

I think my users may disagree with the sentence at the end:
    "still not a finished product with some bugs to be found and fixed so you may run into issues when running the service"
    Either that or they're incredibly quiet people. I haven't had any cancellations or complaints about any issues.
    Most importantly, I haven't had any downtime.

I admit some of the webpages are ugly and need some attention, but I think that's part of its charm, hehe.
    But seriously, I've just been busy working on other things for the dash ecosystem (dashman, dashvend, armory) is all.
    I'll give masternode.me some much needed love over the next few months as I find time.

In any case, if anybody does find issues, please email me at [email protected] and I'll get things straightened out!

• Like Like x 2
  14. MangledBlue

MangledBlue Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< One of moocowmoo 's Biggest phan's right here - WOOT!

15. Carlh

Carlh New Member

@moocowmoo Are your service down? I've been trying to get in contact with you via masternode.me, to get some shares in a masternode. Currently looking at getting into half a masternode.

16. moocowmoo

Dash Address:
    Hi @Carlh , not down, just backlogged. Took the weekend and Monday off and have many requests to answer still. I'll reply to your email now.

17. Fount4inhead

Fount4inhead Member

When you setup your second MN do you just add the config line from the wizard to the previous one in the MN.conf file?

18. splawik21

splawik21 Grizzled Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Dash Support Group

19. abob54

abob54 New Member

Great site, good value, thanks a ton for providing this. Maybe some UI improvements in the future? :)

20. nemo

nemo New Member

I'm still very happy with Moocowmoo's masternode.me service and I've been renewing it without incident for quite a while. This time I was thinking of storing the 1000 Dash MN collateral on a Trezor rather than in a 'puter wallet. I've found instructions for using a Trezor as a server for a MN, but nothing specific for just using masternode.me with a Trezor. Does it need anything special or am I overthinking things (again)?

• Old Old x 1
  21. moocowmoo

Dash Address:

I've created some instructions here: https://masternode.me/docs/trezor/

Email me if you have any questions!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  22. espressodelisi

espressodelisi New Member

Hi moocowmoo!,

I was using your shared masternode service. I received a payment for every 7 or 8 days and I was very happy.
    Now my last payment was 9th october and it's been 12 days. is there any problem or this is just normal? I know it's based on luck to get the payments on time. I hope everything is ok.

23. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

Has nothing to do with his service. Sometimes you get outliers. When you run only one node, you notice it more dramatically.

There is a degree of entropy involved in nodes being selected for payment.

While odds are that you'll flip a coin 100 times, and it'll land on heads half and tails half... Sometimes there's that day where you flip it 10,000 times, and it lands heads 10,000 times. It's a fluke. It's rare. But, it can happen.

If you run 170 nodes, you see it happen every day. But, you also notice the times that you get a payment in only 6.5 days. Or 3 days. Or somehow you never left the short list, and got 4 payments in 6 hours on the same node...

Weird shit happens with even a small amount of entropy. Because it's entropy. Sometimes it's in your favor. Sometimes it's not.

#53 camosoul, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. espressodelisi

I'm not complaining. His service is best for me. Before that I was getting paid in every 7 or 8 days, it was very periodic. this is the first time I see this so I get worried. Now I can wait, no problem. That 25 dash in that share is the money I'd like to hodl long time. unfortunately I can not buy more because I am broke.

25. thephez

thephez Member
    Dash Core Team

Hey, I was getting concerned too and looked into this. Sounds like you may have a share on the same MN I do. If you search for the address of the masternode on https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/, you will be able to see the last time the MN received a payout. The address will be in the payout report email you receive - at the top of the email right after "BLOCK REWARD masternode". In my case, entropy is the culprit and everything is normal (nothing to be concerned about).

#55 thephez, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  26. espressodelisi

Thanks for the info.

My share (only tiny 25 dash) is in this masternode. is that the same?
    XkxX38U5vzgn2SuBk7NmzSx2sZyrXsCxS4

When I look up, it gets the last payment on 9th october. I think it's just us getting unlucky this time. I do not think it's down. I'll just wait. no worries.

27. espressodelisi

it's been 17 days since last payment. I'm starting to get worried. is something wrong?

28. espressodelisi

Finaly I received a payment yesterday. This time we were very unlucky.

29. moocowmoo

Dash Address:
    A couple of my shared masternodes didn't get started on the 12.2 network
    properly and I didn't notice until 8 days ago.

These two shared nodes are now in the selection queue. They'll get paid soon.

005 last payment: (18 days, 4 hours ago) queue: 255/4481 (selection pending)
    025 last payment: (21 days, 10 hours ago) queue: 251/4481 (selection pending)

Sorry about that!

30. Fine

Fine New Member

Hello moocowmoo,

I have some trouble with restarting my masternode (ID 91683190) after 12.03 update. Yesterday I got my reward and I waited until you updated the bench of hostnodes to v0.12.03 this morning. Then I restarted my masternode by DMT (v0.9.20 - protocol version 70210) and I got "PRE ENABLED". But later it changed to "SENTINEL_PING_EXPIRED" and finally a "RESTART REQUIERED". I did a restart a second and third time but it didn't solve the problem.

DASH Ninja shows me this (unfortunately can't post the link bc I'm a new user):

Is there any possibility that I can solve the problem from here?

#60 Fine, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018