• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mining...is it still a viable option?

acidburn

Hello,

Given the recent news relating to the MN pay-outs, I've been giving some thought to obtaining a mining ring. I've looked at a few on ebay but was then informed that these operate at a loss (electric v reward).
So I'm left wondering, is mining no longer an viable option? Or would I be best building my own rig rather than a second hand one off ebay?

What you think... I do have a budget but I'm worried that it might restrict me in terms of reward

Speaking from experience, looking at the rewards of mining by the current DRK/BTC and BTC/USD rates is short-sighted. I remember people back in 2011 saying "Bitcoin mining isn't profitable! Don't do it!"... I remember the lamenting posts from miners complaining about things like: "I'm only making about 3.50 BTC per day with my rigs. Think I'm gonna cut my losses and get out!" Imagine if that guy had just kept his GPU farm running and saved every last coin he mined until ASICs hit the market. He might have had a pile of 500+ BTC and be driving a Porsche now.

The real question to ask yourself is if you have faith in DRK as a crypto-currency and believe it will grow, as I do. If your answer is also yes, then mine, mine, mine, fool!!! :)

Speaking from experience, looking at the rewards of mining by the current DRK/BTC and BTC/USD rates is short-sighted. I remember people back in 2011 saying "Bitcoin mining isn't profitable! Don't do it!"... I remember the lamenting posts from miners complaining about things like: "I'm only making about 3.50 BTC per day with my rigs. Think I'm gonna cut my losses and get out!" Imagine if that guy had just kept his GPU farm running and saved every last coin he mined until ASICs hit the market. He might have had a pile of 500+ BTC and be driving a Porsche now.

The real question to ask yourself is if you have faith in DRK as a crypto-currency and believe it will grow, as I do. If your answer is also yes, then mine, mine, mine, fool!!! :)

I definitely agree with you. I was farming BTC with my laptop for about 1 week with 30 mh/s and I earned 0.05 everyday. Then I stopped it, because I was scary for the gpu of my laptop. I am regretting now that I was not brave enough to risk some little money for gpu farm.

Hmm. Thanks guys. I believe dark has a lot of potential and with the two recent additions to the dev reab, it's speaks volumes.

Can anyone help cost up a rig? Does it need to be expensive?

Back