• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mike Hearn quits Bitcoin, help me invite him to Dash

tungfa

I was fully relaxed. Did you see me use caps, bolded text and 3 exclamation points ? :) I just don't consider fuck a dirty word and don't see a need to type it like this f....

The idea of that sentence was to let people act independently. Even an imperative "Please do NOT" coming from a profile labeled "foundation" could disarm people and stifle present & future independent initiative. That was my whole point. Hard sometimes to convey the right message in writing. Sorry for spiking the adrenaline. Wasn't my intention.

Last edited by a moderator:
i kick him in the nuts
:grin: Talking about Mike Hearn I assume. Care to maybe expand a bit on the idea? Are you upset about the fall in Bitcoin price? Not sure why he had to say he sold all his Bitcoins. That was really uncalled for but some of his arguments are valid. Maybe try and get less emotional and try to separate the wheat from the chaff in his statement.

Some people accused he lied in some of the points he made but I haven't seen many pointing out exactly where Mike was wrong.

What do you think about the 0 confirmation feature which Mike says it's a very bad idea? I see Bitcoin Classic is all for that.

Isn't RBF the proposed change in Core and not Classic? Not to start a bitcoin-centric conversation on a DASH forum, but I was under the impression the only real change in Clsasic was 2MB blocksize.

Doing zero-conf business in Bitcoin was ALWAYS asking for trouble (satoshi recommended 6 confirmations to be safe, IIRC).

RBF simply forces users to adhere to the same system that happens when real blocks are mined, to prevent further conflicts and problems down the road.

Now if there was a separate network tier built into Bitcoin that handled consensus for the zero-conf transactions before they are mined, well that would be a different story...oh wait, you mean it's already a true story? What is Dash?!

Doing zero-conf business in Bitcoin was ALWAYS asking for trouble (satoshi recommended 6 confirmations to be safe, IIRC).

RBF simply forces users to adhere to the same system that happens when real blocks are mined, to prevent further conflicts and problems down the road.

Now if there was a separate network tier built into Bitcoin that handled consensus for the zero-conf transactions before they are mined, well that would be a different story...oh wait, you mean it's already a true story? What is Dash?!

It certainly wasn't a full proof system but Mike makes a very good point, saying certain Bitcoin core devs totally ignored the fact that there is such a thing called risk management. Lots of merchants were perfectly happy with that. Satoshi dice which contributed a lot to the popularity of Bitcoin did same thing.

This is why, I think, DASH has a great opportunity now to present InstantX as a great viable safe alternative.

He clearly wanted Bitcoin to be VISA, which it's not--and never will be. Bitcoin is what it is. If you fundamentally change it, it becomes something other than Bitcoin.

The whole point is that you have something that simply exists, like gold, which is stable and not centralized or game-able. Like a fact of nature, it just IS...and that's why people have diversified their portfolios into it as a real store of wealth. Once you get to that point, you can't change it much, because it is that very unchanging nature which gives it investment value (aside from its practical usefulness, which is of lower importance like with gold). If it dynamically adjusts to everything, then it has less value of its own, and becomes a payment system.

He clearly wanted Bitcoin to be VISA, which it's not--and never will be. Bitcoin is what it is. If you fundamentally change it, it becomes something other than Bitcoin.

The whole point is that you have something that simply exists, like gold, which is stable and not centralized or game-able. Like a fact of nature, it just IS...and that's why people have diversified their portfolios into it as a real store of wealth. Once you get to that point, you can't change it much, because it is that very unchanging nature which gives it investment value (aside from its practical usefulness, which is of lower importance like with gold). If it dynamically adjusts to everything, then it has less value of its own, and becomes a payment system.

Sorry, I fundamentally disagree with this. The limited supply of a currency is given way too much credit.. the flexibility and mindshare of a currency are more important. I'll tell you why...

"Frictionless payments" is one of cryptos main pillars... that the cost of transfer is next to zero. This means, in a truly liquid and competitive market, I can own, say, 1000 dash and pay for something in bitcoin (or vice-versa) at almost no cost... what was the total supply? - I mean, I didn't mine any new bitcoin right? Just that my total net worth was divided between bitcoin and dash.

Back