Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Mike Hearn quits Bitcoin, help me invite him to Dash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TaoOfSatoshi, Jan 15, 2016.

1. TaoOfSatoshi

TaoOfSatoshi Grizzled Member

2. MangledBlue

MangledBlue Well-known Member

He's got a job now....

3. flailingjunk

flailingjunk New Member

He doesn't need to write a single line of code to do great things for us. An endorsement from Mike could get more disillusioned bitcoiners to pay attention to dash then a year of the marketing budget.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

That's pretty explosive stuff

5. Sapereaude

Sapereaude Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I propose some kind of a strike team,a chair, ropes and a feather..

edit:After his endorsement of course.

• Like Like x 1
  6. crowning

crowning Well-known Member

To be honest I think the better strategy would have been to invite him to the _current_ Dash implementation (v0.12.0.55 or v0.12.1.x) so he can see and test how it works and how the _working_ code looks like.

From there you could additionally point to the next planned thing, Evolution.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sangoku

sangoku Active Member

In first invite him to take a soda at Miami ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. sangoku

sangoku Active Member

9. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

PLEASE do NOT email him !!!

what are we ? desperate ?
    this is not our style , let the team take care of this (if they wanted to) but do not bombard him with emails now,
    i belive he has some corporate job anyway already !!

• Like Like x 5
  10. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I believe everyone's free to do whatever the fuck they want. It's not like you can form a tyrannical consensus behind some action and expect all to comply.

You're right though. He has a job and even before getting this new job he has been busy doing expensive consultancy work just like the overrated Peter Todd.

They're both free to join if they want but I think both of them are highly overrated and bringing their egos here won't do much good. Personal opinion ofc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TaoOfSatoshi

The tweet has been pretty popular so far, it has lots of link clicks to the Evolution page. That's partly the reason why I did that, to highlight our differences for others.

If Mike actually joins us, that's a bonus. Every time someone likes or RTs, he'll see it in his timeline.

• Like Like x 1
  12. buster

buster Guest

I think our current developers are amazing. Additional developers would be great but only if they prove themselves like every other developer working on DASH has.

Also Mike just quit bitcoin and wrote a long detailed post about why he thinks it will fail, etc. It's like the guy didn't get what he wanted so he cries like a bitch. Meanwhile NY Times publishes a profile piece detailing the departure and the events leading up to it.

I'm not discounting this guy's contributions to bitcoin. But if he was an employee of mine and wrote a departure post like this about my company, I wouldn't be giving him any positive reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Museifu

Museifu New Member

Mike Hearn has switched teams, all right:
    http://bravenewcoin.com/news/30-top-banks-and-mike-hearn-have-now-joined-r3-global-consortium/

According to Mike Hearn and R3 Consortium, the face of "Crypto 2.0" will be brought to us by the following:
    [​IMG]

You guys really want this man anywhere near DASH? Think it's a coincidence that Hearn jumps ship after cooking IP logging/blacklisting into BitcoinXT, publishing a hit piece in the New York Slimes and taking a cushy new job with a consortium of banker scumbags?

I think DASH is just fine without him.

#13 Museifu, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
  14. InTheWoods

Foundation Member

Museifu

You're right about the blacklisting part but XT had some cool stuff planned that's already part of DASH. Mike is right when it comes to Bitcoin being stuck and not being able to do more innovation due to Chinese miners who call the shots. Some of his criticism is legit.

buster

Yeah you could make the case way he acted was not properly thought out and maybe bit spineless. He sold out and then made this post which he knew was gonna negatively affect the price. He probably went short as well or some bs. I have mixed feelings about the guy but a big chunk of his criticism is legit. He makes some perfectly valid points.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Museifu

Museifu New Member

InTheWoods
    I agree wholeheartedly, a lot of the criticisms of Bitcoin Core are valid and something needs to be done about the blocksize; a compromise between speedy, secure transactions and maintained decentralization, if such a thing is even posssible within bitcoin.

What I'm wondering is why both XT (with its IP blacklisting) and now Core (with reversible transactions) both have such malicious "features" cooked in at the protocol level? And now this high-profile hit piece in the "Paper of Record" as Hearn jumps ship to essentially help Goldman, JP Morgan, Citigroup, et. al. in their bid to subsume the decentralized vision of Crypto as a whole?

The timing and progression of events is all very curious. Whatever the case, though, the argument for DASH as a true competitor to bitcoin couldn't be stronger amidst this tumult.

#15 Museifu, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  16. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Whilst I agree we can do without Mike Hearn onboard, I don't see much point in Banker Bashing, regulators must take equal blame. I know, they're all slime bags, but all of these cryptos are private money and it was inevitable banks, retail and others would join in, however perverse it might be. People will speak with their wallets, that's all we need to know.

Like others here, we may not like his style, especially with blacklisting etc, but he did make some very good points.

And personally, I think our budget for R&D should be a lot more.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Museifu

Museifu New Member

GrandMasterDash
    I certainly concur in spirit, but when bankers own/are the regulators, is there really a difference? Of course not.

Everything else... spot on ;)

18. oaxaca

oaxaca Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Banks, yes. Bitcoin is destined to become the system of record for Wall Street banks.
    Retail on the other hand, is OURS. Bitcoin (and sidechains and what not) cannot compete with DASH.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

yo relax !
    i said "Please do NOT"
    i didn't say "nobody is allowed" !

you can do whatever the f... you want out there,
    knock yourself out !

• Like Like x 1
  20. bluebit

bluebit Active Member

I replied to his blog post :)

21. rightaboutnow

rightaboutnow New Member

i kick him in the nuts

• Like Like x 1
  22. TaoOfSatoshi

All hell is breaking loose. I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  23. InTheWoods

Foundation Member

tungfa

I was fully relaxed. Did you see me use caps, bolded text and 3 exclamation points ? :) I just don't consider fuck a dirty word and don't see a need to type it like this f....

The idea of that sentence was to let people act independently. Even an imperative "Please do NOT" coming from a profile labeled "foundation" could disarm people and stifle present & future independent initiative. That was my whole point. Hard sometimes to convey the right message in writing. Sorry for spiking the adrenaline. Wasn't my intention.

#24 InTheWoods, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  24. InTheWoods

Foundation Member

:D Talking about Mike Hearn I assume. Care to maybe expand a bit on the idea? Are you upset about the fall in Bitcoin price? Not sure why he had to say he sold all his Bitcoins. That was really uncalled for but some of his arguments are valid. Maybe try and get less emotional and try to separate the wheat from the chaff in his statement.

Some people accused he lied in some of the points he made but I haven't seen many pointing out exactly where Mike was wrong.

What do you think about the 0 confirmation feature which Mike says it's a very bad idea? I see Bitcoin Classic is all for that.

#25 InTheWoods, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  25. Museifu

Museifu New Member

Isn't RBF the proposed change in Core and not Classic? Not to start a bitcoin-centric conversation on a DASH forum, but I was under the impression the only real change in Clsasic was 2MB blocksize.

26. InTheWoods

Foundation Member

Museifu

It's live and kicking already. It was already implemented in Bitcoin core without having an open debate about it and asking the merchants, many of whom are not happy with it.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Bridgewater

Bridgewater Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Doing zero-conf business in Bitcoin was ALWAYS asking for trouble (satoshi recommended 6 confirmations to be safe, IIRC).

RBF simply forces users to adhere to the same system that happens when real blocks are mined, to prevent further conflicts and problems down the road.

Now if there was a separate network tier built into Bitcoin that handled consensus for the zero-conf transactions before they are mined, well that would be a different story...oh wait, you mean it's already a true story? What is Dash?!

#28 Bridgewater, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  28. InTheWoods

Foundation Member

It certainly wasn't a full proof system but Mike makes a very good point, saying certain Bitcoin core devs totally ignored the fact that there is such a thing called risk management. Lots of merchants were perfectly happy with that. Satoshi dice which contributed a lot to the popularity of Bitcoin did same thing.

This is why, I think, DASH has a great opportunity now to present InstantX as a great viable safe alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  29. David

David Well-known Member
    Dash Support Group

I try to stay away from BCT...what all hell is breaking loose?