• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Locked "Dash Announcements" thread on BTC?

i do not think there is need for that
announcements can be found on a ton of social media pages and whatnot
bct is nutz, i would not invest another minute in there

I was thinking it'd be a nice, clean list instead of the godawful troll spam the open threads have become, it wouldn't show up much in the new posts list but at least when it did it'd be worth reading. Some sort of core project presence is needed there, as bad as it is it'll be a hub for crypto info for some time to come but I can see why the thought of maintaining anything there wouldn't appeal :/

TanteStefana came up with the same proposal in a private chat, and i think we agreed that the ANN thread is a legacy and starts to get unuseful/harming.

I for my take would rather close the ANN thread as soon as possible and leave Bitcointalk behind. We have more than enough information resources (see https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=13795346) and should start to get rid of the BCT dependency.

Dash should start to grow up and stand on it's own, many of the "large" cryptos don't even have a ANN page on BCT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't agree. We need Bitcointalk to grow. We can't accept trolls beat us in our own home. They can't win.

btw, if we close the thread trolls will continue posting in the alt discussion forum about Dash, so is no sense.

I vote no.

I can't agree. We need Bitcointalk to grow. We can't accept trolls beat us in our own home. They can't win.

btw, if we close the thread trolls will continue posting in the alt discussion forum about Dash, so is no sense.

I vote no.

I wouldn't say Dash needs BCT to grow, its a central point but only one amongst many and I can't honestly see new users staying there long, the trolling is way out of hand and puts a distorted view on any serious topic and in the Alts section the mods have little or no interest in getting it under control. No, if anything just being in that place these days is guilt by association.
---
I'd never really considered that when posting in the announcements thread but now you mention it... yeah, I think I'll be sticking to self moderated threads in the alts section from now on anyway, folks can gripe about censorship all they want but there's not much else you can do when some folks seem to have a licence to troll :/

The current ANN thread has to stay open. Why close any avenue? If a single new user finds that thread and goes on to contribute to the community or even invest in a single DASH it's worth it.

The current ANN thread has to stay open. Why close any avenue? If a single new user finds that thread and goes on to contribute to the community or even invest in a single DASH it's worth it.

True but if 100 other users are put off by the FUD then it could be an overall negative and getting the right first impression counts way more than trying to sway someone who's had a bad one.

True but if 100 other users are put off by the FUD then it could be an overall negative and getting the right first impression counts way more than trying to sway someone who's had a bad one.

It's a brain teaser all right. I can only insert the famous Oscar Wilde quote here:

oscar-wilde-slide-014-001.jpg

If we close the thread THERE they will come HERE and give the moderators lots of work.
And of course they will start other threads there.

If I were a troll I would, immediately after we close our thread, start a new one with the title "[ANN][DASH] Dash | First Anonymous Coin | Inventor of X11, DGW, Darksend and InstantX" :grin:

Which is the stance of eduffield and Minotaur on this matter :)

My opinion is the thread should stay open for many reasons. First it is part of our history, the coin was launched there and it is the longest and most active altcoin thread on that forum.

Secondly, there is really no reason to close it. We should give more credit to people in crypto in general. We are all here right? Most people on this forum are Dash supporters many of whom came from Bitcointalk originally. So I don't see the issue really, people are smart, we should focus on developing and promoting Dash our work will speak for us. The Bitcointalk thread should stay open and unmoderated.

Love and hate are two sides of the same thing, the real enemy is indifference.

Maybe but we seem to be in the "Then they fight you..." stage with them at the mo and they could do a fair bit of harm, I'm sure it would be an attraction to the folks who have already woken up to what's going on over there but those folks are a minority within a minority.

The idea I had was that we would close the announcement thread (I mean, we launched almost 2 years ago! There is no announcement anymore!) and open a moderated thread in the alts section called the "notification" thread.

I wrote:
I honestly thing that that thread should be closed. I don't think it helps us at all anymore. I think everyone who is going to learn about us from that forum has. It's only damaging our reputation, and enticing our members to answer and look like suckers (being trolled in like a fish)

That's why I think a moderated thread with several people able to moderate so that trolls don't get more than a few minutes exposure if that much, would be a good idea. From there, we can ask our membership not to engage on inflammatory threads (which only bumps those up on google) And get a more organized, mature and thoughtful thread going.

We can't even discuss anything anymore. If it's slightly controversial, everyone thinks it's trolling (including myself) and goes on the defensive - even here on this forum. It's not healthy and they're winning. Our community is large. If we make a new thread in the regular alt section, it'll be higher up in the chain for browsing BCT. And I have no doubt that we're so popular that people will move their threads to the alt section. After all, an Alt Coin thread doesn't belong in the announcement thread after a reasonable time has passed. It should have a proper thread in the main body of the forum.

I honestly thing that that thread should be closed. I don't think it helps us at all anymore. I think everyone who is going to learn about us from that forum has.

Well, if you think you've seen trolling wait until the thread is closed. It would be a nightmare. More threads than ever would spring up, more people would rise up to fight the trolls, and things would get worse. I can just see the self-righteousness now: "they were scared of the truff, so they closed their thread and are trying to hide. We win. We will never let them escape, get out your pitchforks." and on and on and on.

We kinda haveto let the thread live. And no, there are always more people who have yet to learn about us via that thread.

Well, if you think you've seen trolling wait until the thread is closed. It would be a nightmare. More threads than ever would spring up, more people would rise up to fight the trolls, and things would get worse. I can just see the self-righteousness now: "they were scared of the truff, so they closed their thread and are trying to hide. We win. We will never let them escape, get out your pitchforks." and on and on and on.

We kinda haveto let the thread live. And no, there are always more people who have yet to learn about us via that thread.

Yes but then it becomes an us and them situation and that place is overrun with speculators and a lot of folks won't want to stay there, where do they go? We don't have to do anything, the Geckos will do it for us.

EDIT: And then they'll try to sell the poor fscks doge all over again... Christ, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I'm sure it's just two words. How long has it been since you've gone to the front lines? LOL. Not that I want you to expose yourself to fire, just saying you were smart enough to leave quite some time ago :)

LOL, I'm sure it's just two words. How long has it been since you've gone to the front lines? LOL. Not that I want you to expose yourself to fire, just saying you were smart enough to leave quite some time ago :)
At least a year now since I gave up my role as Trolljegeren. I do kinda miss it. I've just been lounging about in my hot tub filled with the blood of the weak hands... I got fat!

DASH Evolution will be a complete departure... I figure it deserves a new ANN thread. Most people still have no idea that we gave up coinjoin a long damn time ago. They're so used to clonecoins' non-development cycle that they've never bothered to look. They think they know already... ...cryptotards...

Back