• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

List of future development ideas

TanteStefana

Foundation Member
I just thought it would be great to make a list for quick access of things that might be developed for Darkcoin or for the crypto community at large that would benefit Darkcoin. Here are some that have come up already including this thread:

1. send encrypted messages with darksend payments
2. make an escrow trade service that is decentralized (I see this as another type of wallet that might work off fees, where other coin developers would get involved)
3. make some type of exchange between currencies that can be done decentralized from the wallet at an agreed exchange rate between agreeing parties.
4. DACs (decentralised autonomous corporations or communities)
5. CPU miners auto on in QT wallet with auto idle when computer is in use. Possibly run through p2pool as a choice.
6. These cpu miners in the wallet could connect to p2pools by pinging for closest one, via advanced settings.
7. Lightening up the block chain somehow?
8. Give the wallet a notification thing that tells people if there is an updated wallet available or required. BUT LimLims points out this is subject to a single-point-of-failure attack vector
9. A companion program that keeps track of all tax obligations referencing mined coins, bought coins, sold coins, etc... keeping track of current main exchange price at the time of creation, etc...
10. monitor the number of alive master nodes over time, and if it drops dramatically, have a little amber warning light on the send page to communicate that darksend transactions may be less secure (possible DDOS).
11. create a feature of load wallet (.dat file) rather than having to move it to the folder manually? (so you can have several wallets on your machine, easy load)
12. Upgrade to quantum computer resistant algorithms https://darkcointalk.org/goto/post?id=7134#post-7134 read Alex' post to understand ;P
13. Multi coin wallet (keep BTC and DRK accessible in one wallet)

Please comment below to add other ideas you've seen or have, I'll try to keep this list up to date :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There were some ideas thrown around about possibly being able to send either DRK or BTC form the wallet... a sort of self-fulfilling exchange. It would be interesting to see how that worked. It would be decentralized in a real way... It might also be complete chaos, but :)

That's right, let me add that, and let me know if my wording needs improvement :) There have been many thoughts on how something like this might work, so the comment is a bit vague, LOL.

We're only just beginning to see some more clearly articulated ideas about DACs (decentralised autonomous corporations or communities) coming into the mainstream. I'm now understanding just why the established industries (banking, government) would consider DACs a considerable threat.

I'm wondering if Evan is capable of taking the principles of Namecoin a bit further, while harnessing the power of DRK. This would involve a big flagship project, to show how the limits of the DAC can be pushed. Perhaps with some media fanfare to accompany it.

For example, are there benefits to an anonymous blockchain for the following business structures? :-

* Car pools (for an outline see citycarclub.co.uk - a car hire business in London, which rents out its vehicles on a per hour basis)
* Real estate investment (i.e. buying a hotel or shares in a guesthouse, right down to a lockup garage for rent)
* Sports club ownership
* Ownership of clubs/restaurants/cafes via share purchases
* Anonymous 'Kickstarter' or 'Indiegogo' website

Now, the most obvious benefit would be anonymous payout in DRK of the share dividends (in cases where that applies).

I have to apologise because this is more 'stream of consciousness' rather than a solid proposition. I just had to put my thoughts down somewhere. Do any other posters see where I'm coming from? My question to you all is this: how do you think we can we use an anonymous blockchain to disrupt or bypass the central banking/top-down government cartel?

another great one that comes from the bitcointalk forum:

Quote from: AlexGR on March 24, 2014, 11:12:16 PM
I think one of the more mainstream features that we can add at some point is to merge the cpu miners (or their optimized code) with the qt-wallet and automate the process of mining through p2pools.

Quote from: LimLims on March 24, 2014, 11:17:02 PM
This is an excellent idea, both in terms of fostering mainstream adoption and in protecting the coin by distributing the hashrate far & wide.

Heavycoin did this well, with the cpu miner integrated into the wallet: http://heavycoin.github.io/mining.html

Quote from: TanteStefana on March 24, 2014, 11:27:26 PM
Missed this, yes, really cool idea! Only not everyone will want to mine.... it will take up cpu power, so it must be easy to turn off as well
smiley.gif

ozkraut
+ 1 on this. Has to be in the windows wallet to appeal to the masses, clean install and environment detection to allow for switching number of threads / cores depending on usage of pc. Eg full bore if no activity detected and right down to just using one core / idling if it's busy on the pc. Tray icon showing hash and cores used. A nice and dark jingle for an incoming transaction ? Exch rate ticker would be nice too, on a dormant tab that only kicks in when it gets focus. And how about how many dark transactions are taking place right now / last hour or whatever?

People here are right: many more people have heard about crypto and are interested but no killer app for the mainstream user exists to easily get some.

Does anybody here remember Bitmit? I find it strange how nobody has yet moved to replace that site. You would have thought another variant would pop up a few weeks later at most. But still...nothing...

I feel that the slow death of eBay is underway. The fees, not to mention the additional PayPal transaction fees, are a total ripoff. I sense an opportunity for DRK here, and the DRK-friendly community of developers.

I wonder how difficult it would be to create something like Bitmit, which accepts DRK as currency? Or perhaps a selection of three or four carefully chosen altcoins (I think it's important to make a clean break from BTC as it is clearly the NWO coin). Do posters here have any thoughts on that?

I completely agree, and have been amazed that ebay continues strongly despite the fees?!?! Unfortunately, I'm not a developer, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I'd also like to add an idea inspired by the Munich Project. Truncating the block chain, or somehow lightening it up without losing any security :)

I completely agree, and have been amazed that ebay continues strongly despite the fees?!?! Unfortunately, I'm not a developer, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I'd also like to add an idea inspired by the Munich Project. Truncating the block chain, or somehow lightening it up without losing any security :)
eBay continues to rake in the cash cause it's the biggest and easiest to use. I sold 3 things this week, never sold anything before. Once I saw the fees I grabbed my head, 10% of final selling price + PayPal fees which works out somewhere around 14% for me, that's highway robbery.

I think it would be great if something like the Tor protocol was built into the DarkCoin Qt. As long as addresses can be easily linked to IP addresses, DarkCoin isn't as anonymous as it could be. Along the same lines, it would be nice if a new address was generated every time you send or receive DRK.

I think it would also be really helpful to have a DRK smartphone app (something like blockchain.info) so that people can make and receive payment outside of their homes. It would be really heloful have a merchant exchange like Coinbase that lets you convert directly to and from USD.

It would be really cool if the PoW algorithm changed every month. That would pretty much ruin the prospects of DarkCoin ASICS, but it it might be impossible to implement securely.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a team of full-time software developers? It's fun to make believe, though...

I think it would be great if something like the Tor protocol was built into the DarkCoin Qt. As long as addresses can be easily linked to IP addresses, DarkCoin isn't as anonymous as it could be. Along the same lines, it would be nice if a new address was generated every time you send or receive DRK.

I think it would also be really helpful to have a DRK smartphone app (something like blockchain.info) so that people can make and receive payment outside of their homes. It would be really heloful have a merchant exchange like Coinbase that lets you convert directly to and from USD.

It would be really cool if the PoW algorithm changed every month. That would pretty much ruin the prospects of DarkCoin ASICS, but it it might be impossible to implement securely.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a team of full-time software developers? It's fun to make believe, though...
There was a comment about tor before, but I forgot what was said, sorry! But I think a main problem is that tor centralizes anonymity and you'd have to trust them, it doesn't sit well with what we're trying to do, but any coin can go through tor if the user prefers to.

There is a bounty for an android app, hope someone does make something!

We're not in any foreseeable danger of having asics on x-11. Not sure if the plan is to keep asics away if that should be something in the future. There are arguments on both sides of that coin.

Well, Evan is doing this full time, and like an entrepreneur, he's in here working every day. I don't know if InternetApe is on this full time, but I suspect he's putting in easiy 40/hrs a week, not full time for regular programmers, LOL

[quote author=Xdragon link=topic=421615.msg6127341#msg6127341 date=1396972309]
Hirocoin has nice little feature built in its wallet, which tells you that new update is available. Would be great for Darkcoin to have it in near future.

From bitcointalk forum

I think an update notification in the wallet would effectively represent a single-point-of-failure attack vector.

Hack update server --> push hacked update to all clients --> take over network.
I don't think TS is talking about an actual update button or anything like that. Just a note that says that a new version of the wallet is available.

Husband just came up with one. What if the darkwallet, or a companion tool were to keep track of your tax obligations. Every time you mine up coin, it takes the current cost of the coin from cryptsy and notes it, keeping a running log with outputs at the end of the year so all you have to do is put that information in your taxes? It would be nice for those willing to pay their taxes :)

I noted the problem :) Remember, this is kind of a brain storming list, not everything will warrant being done :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good idea from LimLims:
author=LimLims link=topic=421615.msg6138366#msg6138366 date=1397038672
author=eduffield link=topic=421615.msg6138181#msg6138181 date=1397037587
The idea of masternodes is to create a very expensive network similar to mining, where users invest money to make money. If you decide to be malicious, the only power you have is to not allow transactions for that 2.5 minutes, in which case you forfeit the money the network will pay you.
If all nodes were able to do it, the network would be vulnerable to sybil attacks. See my conversation with Anonymint.
The network is still vulnerable to sybil attacks with expensive nodes, but only by wealthy entities, and they would have to invest heavily in darkcoin to be able to do so, which would have the effect of strengthening the coin. I crunched some of the numbers, and you'd need a LOT of sybil nodes (50%+) to be able to snoop on a significant number of DS transactions where multiple mixing stages are employed. Which might be potentially feasible for a very motivated large organisation, but can be mitigated by specifying a high number of mixing stages (5-20).
Also, as the above poster pointed out, DOS on master nodes may be a problem. E.g. if an attacker DOS'd all the genuine master nodes successfully (which is unlikely, but this is hypothetical), only their own sybil nodes would remain, meaning anonymity is gone for that period. One way to mitigate this might be to have some network health indicators in the client. E.g. monitor the number of alive master nodes over time, and if it drops dramatically, have a little amber warning light on the send page to communicate that darksend transactions may be less secure. Or a graph of alive master nodes over time might be even better.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've added anything here! Well over at Bitcointalk, Dusty11 came up with a good one, I quote:
"Does any coins wallet have a feature of Import wallet (.dat file) rather than having to move it to the folder manually?
Not a big thing but would be a cool feature. Along with update notifications."

That would be a really nice improvement to the wallet, don't ya think?. Up it goes on the list :)

multi adress, multi coins and p2p exchange :
the wallet.dat become <drk-key>.dat
In the same folder we can have <drk-key1>.dat <drk-key2>.dat ....

and in the neer future have <btc-key>.dat and other coins to implement p2p exchange with <dark exchange node>

Back