• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

LINUX Wallet Download / Installation Guide:

Our build system now produce files that are not recognized as executables though they are.
I wrote a simple script to install dash-qt from downloaded archive and to give it a nice icon.
Here is what you need to do:

1) After you extracted downloaded archive you should have dash-0.12.0 folder somewhere.
Go inside it, create a file named install_dash_qt.sh and edit it with your favorite editor:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
su -c 'install -m 0755 -o root -g root -t /usr/local/bin bin/dash-qt'
echo "[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dash-Qt
Comment=Dash - Reinventing Cryptocurrency https://www.dashpay.io
Type=Application
Exec=dash-qt %u
Terminal=false
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/dash128.xpm
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/dash
Categories=Applications;Finance;" > ~/Desktop/Dash-Qt.desktop
chmod u+x ~/Desktop/Dash-Qt.desktop
sudo cp ~/Desktop/Dash-Qt.desktop /usr/share/applications/
sudo wget -O /usr/share/pixmaps/dash128.xpm https://github.com/dashpay/dash/raw/master/share/pixmaps/bitcoin128.xpm

2) Right click on empty space in that folder and choose "Open in Terminal". In command line issue:
Code:
chmod u+x install_dash_qt.sh
to make file executable and
Code:
./install_dash_qt.sh
to run it.

Enter your password and shortly after you should have a nice icon on your Desktop and the same icon in Applications.

Enjoy! :smile:

PS. This script reguires wget. Install it first if you don't have it already
Code:
sudo apt-get install wget

Should I use that under tool on wiki for v13 ?
Is that different from
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9568325

Our build system now produce files that are not recognized as executables though they are.
I wrote a simple script to install dash-qt from downloaded archive and to give it a nice icon.

1) After you extracted downloaded archive you should have dash-0.12.0 folder somewhere.
Go inside it, create a file named install_dash_qt.sh and edit it with your favorite editor:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo -s install -m 0755 -o root -g root -t /usr/local/bin bin/dash-qt
echo "[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dash-Qt
Type=Application
Exec=dash-qt %u
Terminal=false
sudo wget -O /usr/share/pixmaps/dash128.xpm https://github.com/dashpay/dash/raw/master/share/pixmaps/bitcoin128.xpm

2) Right click on empty space in that folder and choose "Open in Terminal". In command line issue:
Code:
Code:
./install_dash_qt.sh
to run it.

Enter your password and shortly after you should have a nice icon on your Desktop and the same icon in Applications.

Code:

EDIT:
"su -c" requires you to set root password which "normal"/non-developer users do not have at all (by ubuntu's default)
Changed script to use "sudo -s" instead, give it a try if you had problems before

Any way to make it clickable/executable with a nice icon after I downloaded and installed it?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo -s install -m 0755 -o root -g root -t /usr/local/bin bin/dash-qt
echo "[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dash-Qt
Type=Application
Exec=dash-qt %u
Terminal=false

Code:
Code:
./install_dash_qt.sh
to run it.

Code:

EDIT:
"su -c" requires you to set root password which "normal"/non-developer users do not have at all (by ubuntu's default)
Changed script to use "sudo -s" instead, give it a try if you had problems before

Very nice. Just busted this out and it works perfectly. Super clean icon on my desktop now. You da man UdjinM6

ok... tnx buster !
I suppose I will need to copy bits and pieces to another file, then print? Unless there is a pdf of the method ?
I am SO ticked off at billgates, google, adsense and all those people who have destroyed the value of my vista LT because they
want to track me and cram more ads on my screen. Aargh !
Amidst a bunch of crashes, an overflowing HD, mint running from a jump drive, and a cursor that takes off floating
with a mind of it's own... lol I can't hardly type this without the cursor floating 3 lines up and inserting the text elsewhere!
Why isn't this written for linux?
How many battles to escape being bill's lapdog ?
Open source linux should be the go-to version, run it in a dos window if you must use his product...

Is ethereum really billgates money?
How much does the plot thicken?

sry... I'm pretty upset right now... more stress, more stress, I need more stress!!!
Best
rc

ok... tnx buster !
I suppose I will need to copy bits and pieces to another file, then print? Unless there is a pdf of the method ?
I am SO ticked off at billgates, google, adsense and all those people who have destroyed the value of my vista LT because they
want to track me and cram more ads on my screen. Aargh !
Amidst a bunch of crashes, an overflowing HD, mint running from a jump drive, and a cursor that takes off floating
with a mind of it's own... lol I can't hardly type this without the cursor floating 3 lines up and inserting the text elsewhere!
Why isn't this written for linux?
How many battles to escape being bill's lapdog ?
Open source linux should be the go-to version, run it in a dos window if you must use his product...

Is ethereum really billgates money?
How much does the plot thicken?

sry... I'm pretty upset right now... more stress, more stress, I need more stress!!!
Best
rc

Sorry that your windows vista is not functioning properly. I don't use windows, only linux. Anyways I created a PDF of the guide for you, hope it helps. You can dowload the pdf here,

Also if you want some live help join us on slack Ill be glad to see what I can do.

https://digitalcash.signup.team/
Can get invite from there

tnx buster !
I get error 404 if I try to open that in a new tab...
Much to learn ! lol
I tried slack... it does not like this 32 bit machine.
I will get a 64 bit machine going, then hop over there...
Beginning to run mint from a usb on this machine, will try for a dual boot system on the 64 bit machine... mint, and #7...
Hope to run mint from an ssd, and leave 7 on the hdd.
...tried again... maybe I should be in mint to access that pdf ?
Manana... burned out now.
Best
rc

tnx buster !
I get error 404 if I try to open that in a new tab...
Much to learn ! lol
I tried slack... it does not like this 32 bit machine.
I will get a 64 bit machine going, then hop over there...
Beginning to run mint from a usb on this machine, will try for a dual boot system on the 64 bit machine... mint, and #7...
Hope to run mint from an ssd, and leave 7 on the hdd.
...tried again... maybe I should be in mint to access that pdf ?
Manana... burned out now.
Best
rc

I guess link expires. I'll need to try different site to put doc. Gotta wait till I get home to my computer though.

Tnx Buster !
Battling w/ crashing lt right now. Switching to another, better machine. Running fedora today, from usb...
Best
rc

Thanks to UdjinM6 for the magical computer incantations - for a moment there I actually felt like I understood Linux!

Yep whoever said all Linux users are tech savvy hadn't met me !

After this;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dash.org/dash
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dashd dash-qt

How to start it ? what is the command ?

cd into the dash bin folder, then ./dash-qt

Pablo.

Hi guys! I was trying to use DASH Core and make its blockchain and wallet directory be shared between Windows (being held in C:/DASH) and ArchLinux (which would then access the C: directory in order to load the blocks). It goes really smooth when I open it up on Arch, but upon returning to Windows it crashes. Has anyone met with the same issue here and found a way around it?

5) Encrypting the Dash Wallet

After fully synchronizing with the Dash network it's highly advisable to encrypt your Dash wallet with a password. Using a password you have never used before and is impossible to guess is the safest way to go with. Please review the Strong Password Ubuntu Documentation to ensure you safety even further.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StrongPasswords

Note: Make sure to keep your password safe somewehre so you will never lose it or get it stolen.

To encrypt your wallet click "Settings" and click "Encrypt Wallet...".

nKuM7jV.png

Now it should ask for a passphrase, enter your password in both fields and click "OK". It will ask for a confirmation, click "Yes".

hCJF8rD.png

At this point the wallet will be encrypting itself so don't click anything. When it's finished you will see this notification screen. Please read and understand it and than click OK.

z7YszZ4.png

The Dash Wallet will close, you can start it again by clicking the Dash-qt file.
Your wallet is now encrypted (hopefully with a strong password). Remember to save your password in a safe place, without it you will be able to access your funds.

Once I have completed step 5 and encrypted the wallet where does the encrypted wallet get saved? Dash-QT closed and I reopened it, but I'm none the wiser to where the encrypted wallet is. I chose default file structure when first running dash-qt and I can see in this guide that it says this is in the home dir, but I've looked in there and can't see anything relevant.

Also when selecting backup wallet from the client, is this unencrypted when you save it? I noticed that I could not opt to save on my usb disk, only the local computer. Is this normal?

Back