• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

WTB Laptop from US-only website mailed to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernando

Powered by Dash
Foundation Member
I'm cheap when it comes to buying hardware and I also prefer the US keyboard layout, so I want to buy a laptop from the US in a very specific way and have it sent to me to Europe.

The specificity is that the website from which I want to buy only offers limited quantities for a limited time, so I will be monitoring it, and ping whoever helps me when the one I want when it is available. Last time I bought from them it took a couple of weeks to find it, but once it is available this has to be done fast, so I prefer to arrange the details in advance. They only accept US credit cards, thus the need for help (last time I bought I had someone to do this for me). Also, I want to buy as many things in crypto as possible so we create a real economy!

I can't know the exact cost at the moment, but it will likely be around 800-1200 USD, plus the cost of shipping it to Europe.

I'll pay 110% of price and shipment costs in Dash or BTC at the USD exchange rate in Coinmaketcap at the moment of the purchase. I'm happy to escrow the funds in advance with someone we agree upon, so when the purchase has to be made we have all this already solved.

Due to the complexity of all this and the trust required, I will only do this with someone known in the community that I feel comfortable with. No offence to all new people here, I'm really happy we are growing, but I will not deal with you this time :smile:.

Please write me a PM so we can arrange details in private.

Have you tried Amazon Global? Sager ships to Europe as well.

You will have to pay a custom fee regardless of where you get it, even if it's a gift from a friend. If you buy a laptop for $1k you will have to pay EU VAT on top of that, so add a 21% Spanish VAT on top of 1k and you end up paying $1210 for a $1000 laptop.

Have you tried Amazon Global? Sager ships to Europe as well.

You will have to pay a custom fee regardless of where you get it, even if it's a gift from a friend. If you buy a laptop for $1k you will have to pay EU VAT on top of that, so add a 21% Spanish VAT on top of 1k and you end up paying $1210 for a $1000 laptop.
I know this way of doing things have some additional costs, but it still makes sense for me. I like Lenovo Thinkpad laptops. I've had several and they have always been great. They have best the trackpoint in the market, which is one of the most important things for me because I hate using touchpads and mice (I know, I may be the only one using that red button in the middle of the keyboard, but I find it so much more efficient that I fail to understand how everyone thinks differently :smile:).

Lenovo has an outlet in the US (outlet.lenovo.com) where they sell products in different conditions, usually from returns and that kind of stuff. Discounts as high as 50% on list price. Some of the products they have are old, but when they upload a batch of products sometimes there are some really new ones. I wipe out everything on arrival, so I don't care if someone has started the computer once or twice. Besides that, Lenovo is more expensive in Spain, so the combination of discount plus higher prices here, more than offsets the difference. Last time I bought a 2.2k USD laptop at a 50% discount. That same model costed around 2.7k EUR here, so even if shipping and vat it was still way cheaper.

Maybe it doesn't make much sense to go to all this trouble, but as I said, I'm cheap :grin:

All is arranged with someone that reached me over PM.

Hi.
I'd be interested to know how this went.
I've been signed up to the US Lenovo sales newsletter since I lived and worked in Texas six years ago.
Wish I'd bought one then while I was over there.

Currently have a HP Pavillion with i7 2670QM. Actually not a bad laptop, especially since the repaste i did on the CPU and GPU with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

Looking to make an upgrade when AMD brings out mobile versions of their Ryzen 8 cores, if they turn out to be as good as I expect.
So, hopefully Lenovo brings out a few models with those processors and decent graphics cards ( RX480 or better ) at a killer price compared to Intel/Nvidia combos.
In which case, I'll be having a good look at their US offers, especially Black Friday and X-mas holiday deals.

Hi.
I'd be interested to know how this went.
I've been signed up to the US Lenovo sales newsletter since I lived and worked in Texas six years ago.
Wish I'd bought one then while I was over there.

Currently have a HP Pavillion with i7 2670QM. Actually not a bad laptop, especially since the repaste i did on the CPU and GPU with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

Looking to make an upgrade when AMD brings out mobile versions of their Ryzen 8 cores, if they turn out to be as good as I expect.
So, hopefully Lenovo brings out a few models with those processors and decent graphics cards ( RX480 or better ) at a killer price compared to Intel/Nvidia combos.
In which case, I'll be having a good look at their US offers, especially Black Friday and X-mas holiday deals.
This went great. Someone from the forum approached me directly, but preferred not to publish his name publicly. We communicated for a while until he saw a laptop that meet my requirements, bought and sent it. It is a T460 with i7, 32 GB RAM, 512 SDD HDD and touch screen; and it costed around 1050 USD + around 200 USD in shipping to Europe. I'm right now using it :)

This went great. Someone from the forum approached me directly, but preferred not to publish his name publicly. We communicated for a while until he saw a laptop that meet my requirements, bought and sent it. It is a T460 with i7, 32 GB RAM, 512 SDD HDD and touch screen; and it costed around 1050 USD + around 200 USD in shipping to Europe. I'm right now using it :)

I like the look of the new T570, but will wait for cheaper Ryzen powered 8 core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back