• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Is there an iOS Decentralised Wallet?

koalalorenzo

Hello,
I am new here so, please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place, or somebody already answered :sad:

I am using Bitcoin almost Daily with my BreadWallet app on my iPhone, and I would like to know if something similar for Dash is already developed. Do we have it?

I think it is really important to have something user-friendly and decentralised! I don't want to use my Trezor!
Thanks

Thank you! That sounds great :)
Do we know why it was rejected? Usually it's easy to get around this by fixing what they said and/or pushing it twice to Apple
We are going to reapply once some legal issues are ironed out. We think that we were rejected possibly because of the Darkcoin Foundation name. It is now being changed to the Dash Foundation. Once that's done, we are going to reapply, hopefully with better luck.

Thank you! That sounds great :)
Do we know why it was rejected? Usually it's easy to get around this by fixing what they said and/or pushing it twice to Apple
No real reasons were provided. They just kept repeating that Dash is not in the approved cryptocurrency list, but they refused to provide any more info on that list.

We've tried to change the countries of publication and a few more tweaks, but we haven't had results yet. Someone in the community suggested the name of the foundation (which is who created the dev account and is publishing the app) could be an issue and it is about to change, but maybe that won't solve it either. We'll keep trying though.

Apple has always been very hostile to cryptocurrencies and only recently they started accepting Bitcoin. Other coins have had the same problems we are having, so this is not an easy endeavour. In the meantime, you can self compile following this guide (completely ok with Apple's TOS, you don't need to jailbreak phone or anything like that, but you'll need a Mac):
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16646233

In the meantime, you can self compile following this guide (completely ok with Apple's TOS, you don't need to jailbreak phone or anything like that, but you'll need a Mac)

This is awesome, but is still not a smart move: I can build and install the app on my device because I am a Developer.
In my last blog post I exactly pointed to that problem: Bitcoin, and other crypto including Dash, should be user-friendly to go MainStream. People may want to use a coinbase-like service, but we know that this is stupid.

Are there any other implementation/forks of code, like "Copay/BWS" wallets available?

This is awesome, but is still not a smart move: I can build and install the app on my device because I am a Developer.
In my last blog post I exactly pointed to that problem: Bitcoin, and other crypto including Dash, should be user-friendly to go MainStream. People may want to use a coinbase-like service, but we know that this is stupid.

Are there any other implementation/forks of code, like "Copay/BWS" wallets available?
I, and most people here, agree about the need for ease of use. The self-compile method is not, by any means, a solution, just a patch so a few nerds can use the wallet. If we want usage, we need to get that wallet approved by Apple!

I think you are kinda new around (at least you haven't posted much :smile:), so let me recommend that you check Evolution, the next Dash iteration the devs are working in (you have a lot of docs at dash.org/evolution). It is great in terms of ease of use.

As far as I know, nobody has forked BWS yet. It would be awesome... I've been doing multisig by creating raw transactions manually in the core wallet!!! with Electrum it is easier, but I still need to move around a couple things before being able to use it. We are precisely at that moment in which we are starting to fork this kind of pieces to make the ecosystem more complete, but there is a ton of work to do.

You say you are developer, what kind of work do you do? all help is always welcomed :rolleyes:

You say you are developer, what kind of work do you do? all help is always welcomed :rolleyes:
I am a full stack developer, and technically I would love to help a project like this.
ATM, I am learning how to set up my raspberry pi to run a master node. The next step will be to check dash's projects on GitHub.

It's nice that Evolution is being developed, the sad part is that I have not seen a "mobile-first" approach, since the trend is going in that direction (and hardly I will bring my Trezor connected to my MacBook, just to pay the groceries!). I would love to help to develop something that is mobile-first and available for our smartphones.
Do we have any projects, more than the breadwallet clone? I don't want to start something new if somebody already did :)

I am a full stack developer, and technically I would love to help a project like this.
ATM, I am learning how to set up my raspberry pi to run a master node. The next step will be to check dash's projects on GitHub.

It's nice that Evolution is being developed, the sad part is that I have not seen a "mobile-first" approach, since the trend is going in that direction (and hardly I will bring my Trezor connected to my MacBook, just to pay the groceries!). I would love to help to develop something that is mobile-first and available for our smartphones.
Do we have any projects, more than the breadwallet clone? I don't want to start something new if somebody already did :)
Awesome!

As far as I know nobody is working on any other iOS wallet than the one QuantumExplorer did (and considering how things are, I'm not sure anybody would want). On Android there is already a functional wallet by HashEngineering. tomasz.ludek and fulltimegeek are also Android devs doing things.

Hi koalalorenzo

I'm lead dev of the Evolution web/mobile team and we are taking a purely web & mobile first approach in fact we don't have plans for a desktop client yet (although that will come, and current QT wallet can be used without the additional Evo functions).

The web & mobile wallets we are building will be the first decentralized SPV wallets for any crypto currency, as they connect directly to the Masternode layer without needing a 3rd party gateway, meaning users can have highest level of decentralization from browsers and mobile devices and also merchants can integrate payments with the same decentraliztion and without needing e.g. BitPay or setting up their own fullnode infrastructure.

We have web developers and Android developers, but no one in iOS yet. We are currently still in the design / prototyping phase so if you're interested you should think about joining Slack and seeing if there's anything you want to work on.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Cheers

Andy

Hey koalalorenzo, sorry I'm late to this thread. I would have loved to work more on the iOS wallet if I could release it. I spent about a month with back and forths with apple over the rejection. Trust me I tried everything and it was extremely annoying. If you download the wallet you can see the effort I put into it. I had a lot of plans for it as well including being able to control masternode voting and many others. However with Apple declining it I just pretty much stopped work on it. Anyone is free to fork it since it is on github under quantumexplorer/dashwallet. I will resume work on it if Apple ever allows it in the store.

Has anybody tried going over the head of the people at Apple? I don't know if it would work in this case, but I've had great success directly contacting CEOs by email with complaints. This may not work in a case like this, since it's not a customer service issue. But it couldn't hurt to try?

If the CEO route doesn't work, you could always email the board of directors, or even target people in the organization that are a layer or two below CEO but still high enough to approve an exception. There's a good chance it won't work, granted, but how else are they going to know what Dash is unless we tell a decision maker?

FWIW, it's usually very easy to figure out an internal email address. Just find the name of the person you want to target, and the email address will usually follow one of the following formats:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

P.S. Tim Cook's email address is [email protected], so if he wasn't eager to help, you could find the VP in charge of the apple store and use that same format to contact him.

Nevermind. Tungfa said not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I think:

Has anybody tried going over the head of the people at Apple? I don't know if it would work in this case, but I've had great success directly contacting CEOs by email with complaints. This may not work in a case like this, since it's not a customer service issue. But it couldn't hurt to try?

That is usually "one shot", so the project has to be really developed and Dash has to be under a "good looking". The fact that...

However with Apple declining it I just pretty much stopped work on it. Anyone is free to fork it since it is on github under quantumexplorer/dashwallet. I will resume work on it if Apple ever allows it in the store.

Makes it harder to believe that the project is in a good status. I admit that I still have to install it on my iPhone, but if it is just a clone of the bread wallet with few line changes and the same style, it makes no sense to be approved form their eyes. I am guessing that a single case, of a software developed during just one month is not worth a "one-shot" email. Instead a well known cryptocurrency, with stable and known partners may lead to a better light to the eyes of who is reading: Remember that the CEO (or who you are talking with) usually does not care about our points and they see only their goals (money, quality, time usually).

I say that more effort is required in order to make it "acceptable" and allow others to consider it, not just like "another alt-coin app".
I truly believe that other alt-coins went through this process, but only some of them had "names" connected to it that are making it "good-looking" (see: Ethereum has Microsoft and IBM and probably it will be easy to release a mobile wallet by sending an email to the "CEO", when they will reach that development phase). Maybe we should wait until Evolution release.

What do you think?

please do not spam mail the management !
I really do not believe in this and think it is more counterproductive than anything

I really do not believe in this and think it is more counterproductive than anything

I never suggested spamming anybody. I suggested crafting a single well-reasoned response and giving it a shot. It's been extremely effective for me over the years.

But if y'all don't want to do that, it's cool. I can't say the existing approach appears to have been too successful so far, but maybe better fortune is in your future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have to agree... don't forget that SPAM is annoying, but if it is done to with the perfect timing and by doing the right "homework", it may be effective!

Back