• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Interesting question reposted from bitcointalk.org

yamada

Quote from: fluffypony on Today at 09:13:41 AM
There are two things that concern me:

1. Outputs can still be linked to addresses. If you send 20 DRK and it sends all these other outputs along with it to obfuscate, the 20 DRK still ends up in someone's address. That this can be observed on the blockchain means that analysis is easy, and we all know how often people leak addresses associated with their wallet (eg. posting it up for giveaways etc. etc.) This is an immutable problem in any Bitcoin-forked cryptocurrency that exists, as the solution (stealth addresses computed w/random data) has to be enforced for every transaction from the genesis block. If you enforce it halfway through you're stuck with old outputs that don't use stealth addresses, which makes it exceedingly complex to ensure the anonymityset is not at-risk.

2. Masternodes are an Achilles' heel. Let us say that there are 10 000 masternodes on the network. Their IP addresses and the port they operate on is, by necessity, known to the network. Let's assume that an attacker controls 5 masternodes of the 10 000. Let's also assume that each of the masternodes on the network is on a dedicated server (none of them use a VPS, because a VPS could be trivially owned by the host operating system) and each of these servers is on a 1gbps unmetered, dedicated port (clearly not the case right now, but I'm talking about a future time). How hard would it be for an attacker to knock the other 9995 masternodes off the network, leaving theirs as the only accessible masternodes (and thus not only earning them all the fees, but giving them perfect insight into transactions moving within their controlled group)? Well, NTP amplification attacks have let attackers launch 400Gbps attacks against a single machine from a sole 2mbps connection. SNMP has a theoretical 650x amplification factor. All an attacker needs to do is max out the unmetered port in an obvious attack, and the datacenter will have to react. Even straight up LOIC-style / botnet SYN floods to the port that the masternode has open will lead to the the DC null-routing traffic to that box, typically for 6 hours whilst they wait for the attack to stop. Mitigating this is an extremely difficult and expensive operation for each masternode to individually undertake, and not all DCs will even be able to provide DDoS mitigation at this level. An unsophisticated attacker using extremely traditional tools can knock all of the masternodes off the network except those they control. This is a threat to anonymity.

Incidentally, the other problem with masternodes that nobody seems to have thought of is that the limited number of them will mean they're in direct competition with each other. It is in a masternode operator's financial interests to make life difficult for the rest of them - DDoS attacks, reporting the box to the datacenter, anything that can knock a single competitor off the masternode network means more fees for the remaining masternodes. This is different to PoW mining where, for instance, knocking the pools offline doesn't mean you'll get more transaction fees, as miners always have backup pools. I'm not sure how sustainable this is as a system if it unmistakably pitches operators against each other to fight for fees. Given the cost and capital required to own a masternode, it's appreciable that this will happen as a natural result of wanting to maximise masternode profits.

Quote from: eduffield on Today at 11:15:28

Very good questions. I'm excited that we're starting to see some higher level questions again.

1.) Payee addresses are arguably the less important aspect of privacy. As the sender, it's more important to protect your identity. The other side can simply be addressed by generating a new change address per payment. Between the two of these the system would be completely anonymous. Also, after receiving payment, your client will prepare the funds again, increasing their anonymity.

2.) There's not a perfect solution to this yet, but Masternode operators have an interest in getting more darkcoin and keeping their existing inventment as valuable as possible. By attacking the network, they would cause harm to their investment. Also, the client is resistant to DDOS attack currently and masternode operators are instructed to close all other ports and have some kind of DDOS protection.

As a longer term solution, we could not broadcast the IPs of masternodes, but an identifier. Users could then say they want to broadcast to that masternode, but not actually connect to it. This would hide the identities and create a much more robust system.

There are two things that concern me:

1. Outputs can still be linked to addresses. If you send 20 DRK and it sends all these other outputs along with it to obfuscate, the 20 DRK still ends up in someone's address. That this can be observed on the blockchain means that analysis is easy, and we all know how often people leak addresses associated with their wallet (eg. posting it up for giveaways etc. etc.) This is an immutable problem in any Bitcoin-forked cryptocurrency that exists, as the solution (stealth addresses computed w/random data) has to be enforced for every transaction from the genesis block. If you enforce it halfway through you're stuck with old outputs that don't use stealth addresses, which makes it exceedingly complex to ensure the anonymityset is not at-risk.

2. Masternodes are an Achilles' heel. Let us say that there are 10 000 masternodes on the network. Their IP addresses and the port they operate on is, by necessity, known to the network. Let's assume that an attacker controls 5 masternodes of the 10 000. Let's also assume that each of the masternodes on the network is on a dedicated server (none of them use a VPS, because a VPS could be trivially owned by the host operating system) and each of these servers is on a 1gbps unmetered, dedicated port (clearly not the case right now, but I'm talking about a future time). How hard would it be for an attacker to knock the other 9995 masternodes off the network, leaving theirs as the only accessible masternodes (and thus not only earning them all the fees, but giving them perfect insight into transactions moving within their controlled group)? Well, NTP amplification attacks have let attackers launch 400Gbps attacks against a single machine from a sole 2mbps connection. SNMP has a theoretical 650x amplification factor. All an attacker needs to do is max out the unmetered port in an obvious attack, and the datacenter will have to react. Even straight up LOIC-style / botnet SYN floods to the port that the masternode has open will lead to the the DC null-routing traffic to that box, typically for 6 hours whilst they wait for the attack to stop. Mitigating this is an extremely difficult and expensive operation for each masternode to individually undertake, and not all DCs will even be able to provide DDoS mitigation at this level. An unsophisticated attacker using extremely traditional tools can knock all of the masternodes off the network except those they control. This is a threat to anonymity.

Incidentally, the other problem with masternodes that nobody seems to have thought of is that the limited number of them will mean they're in direct competition with each other. It is in a masternode operator's financial interests to make life difficult for the rest of them - DDoS attacks, reporting the box to the datacenter, anything that can knock a single competitor off the masternode network means more fees for the remaining masternodes. This is different to PoW mining where, for instance, knocking the pools offline doesn't mean you'll get more transaction fees, as miners always have backup pools. I'm not sure how sustainable this is as a system if it unmistakably pitches operators against each other to fight for fees. Given the cost and capital required to own a masternode, it's appreciable that this will happen as a natural result of wanting to maximise masternode profits.

Well we can dismiss the issue raised in 1) outright just because he cant sort darksend transactions, I'd love to see this guy map out some DS+ Txids...LOL

And his points in 2) are not realistic. The network admins wont just sit there idle while he does an unsophistacted attack, taking down every master node except the attackers?...cmon. The attacker and his 5 (lol) masternodes would be vulnerable to ddos as well. Besides all anonymised Drkcoins would still be anonymous, network would still run secure, and the attacker spends a bunch of money...its just not there.

Nothing is invincable but the attacks this guy raised wont work.

1) I'm creating new addresses for each of my transactions by default. The new 0.9.x bitcoin branch is even encouraging this by the request payment button.

2) If I see my MN is DDOS'd I would simply withdraw the funds, shut down the VPS and setup a new one. Takes around 10 minutes and the attacker needs to redirect his DDOS. Not sure if a distributed attack on several hundred/thousend nodes is really practical.

This may be a concern for darksend 1, but I don't really see it being applicable for darksend+. DS+ keeps a pool of pre-mixed coins in other addresses already broken down into various standard denominations, and sends a couple to the recipient. In this scenario, there isn't a 20 input being spent and the recipient ending up receiving 20. An input of 16 will be sent from some pre-mixed address, and an input of 4 will be sent from some pre-mixed address. Those 20 coins( the 16 and the 4) were most likely broken down and mixed from other transaction/s not totaling 20, so that amount following doesn't really apply there either.

Enforcing halfway isn't a problem here either, as the wallet keeps track of how many mixing cycles things have been through, and will mix the old inputs just the same.

Back