• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

I Think I've Messed Up

Shrimpydink

So I decided after years of holding Bitcoin to drop some on dash as I think it has promise. So the timeline was

- Installed Dash core wallet
- I bought Dash on Poloniex
- Sent to an address displayed by my wallet
- Dash has never arrived. It's been a while and I've been naively hoping it would turn up or the person it was sent to would send it back.

Either its gone to an address that doesn't exist or that's 2.99 dash as a present in someones wallet?

Anyone got any ideas to help?

Have the Dash left Poloniex? Have you checked the TX on the blockchain explorer.dash.org?

Edit: How did you confirm the withdrawal from Polo? 2FA or email link? If email check that the address shown in the email matches the one from your wallet?

Great idea!!! I checked. It says "Not yet redeemed"

How can I claim it back?

"Not yet redeemed" just means it's still in the address it was sent to. Did you see my edit above? You need to check whether the receiving address shown on the blockchain matches both the address from your wallet and the address shown in your Poloniex withdrawal confirmation email. If they're not the same that should help determine where the error occurred, but unfortunately, if the coins have been sent to an address you don't own, there's no way to recover them

"Not yet redeemed" just means it's still in the address it was sent to. Did you see my edit above? You need to check whether the receiving address shown on the blockchain matches both the address from your wallet and the address shown in your Poloniex withdrawal confirmation email. If they're not the same that should help determine where the error occurred, but unfortunately, if the coins have been sent to an address you don't own, there's no way to recover them

Ahhh poo. I don't have the email. I definately copied and pasted the email address my wallet showed. But now the address is different! Just baffled as to how its happened.

Ahhh poo. I don't have the email. I definately copied and pasted the email address my wallet showed. But now the address is different! Just baffled as to how its happened.

Someone else had a similar thing happen a couple of months ago. He'd copy-pasted the address from his wallet then confirmed the email without double-checking the details. The address in the email was different from the one he had copy-pasted, but because he'd confirmed it Polo took no responsibility. Poloniex support suggested he had picked up some malware which switched out the copied address from his clipboard to one controlled by the attacker, causing the attacker's address to be pasted instead. I don't think he ever found such malware but that was the end of the discussion as far as Polo was concerned.

Do run malware scans on your computer in case that's what happened. It's also worth contacting Poloniex support, though don't be surprised if they only tell you this. If you could find the email and it showed the correct address you could pin it on them, so it's worth looking for it, but if it shows the wrong address I'm afraid Polo are unlikely to help.

Good point. Malware scanned. Nope nothing. I'm gutted. The worst thing about it is that someone with a Dash wallet got 2.99 coins and did nothing.

I'm so sorry. I think the moral of the story is to always double and triple check the address, even if you've copy-pasted it, and including in the withdrawal confirmation email. It's no consolation but the community member I referred to above lost a lot more.

Tallyho you are a star. I really appreciate your help.

I feel so stupid. I cashed out some BTC and bought some dash and was lazy in checking the email. I was sure I copied and pasted the right address! Man.. gutted.

@Shrimpydink can you share the tx id? if I'm following right, you have not yet checked if the receiving address is in your wallet. If it were the 2.99 dash should show in your balance, but you could have a sync problem too (unlikely, but you should try to rule out everything)

is your wallet actually synced and up to date ?
(without 100% sync u will not see your true value !!)

Ok. Now you need to check if that address is in your wallet (it could be that it is there but you have a syncing problem).

Go to the receive tab. There you will see a grid with the headings 'Date', 'Label', 'Message' and 'Amount DASH'. Each line is an address. You don't see the address in the grid, but if you double click on each line you'll see the address. Check if XqKqzJkXsMdwWy73PCoQseDryxajpE8mRL is there.

Commercial OSes are obnoxiously vulnerable to Spyware/Malware/Virii.

Even if you run a VM with a lightweight Linux distro inside that crappy commercial OS, it's still an upgrade.

And gets you on the road to using grown-up OSes.

I find it tragic that people don't realize how terrible commercial OS security is... These sort of losses would occur far less if people knew there were very good reasons to try grown-up operating systems like Linux instead.

Ok. Now you need to check if that address is in your wallet (it could be that it is there but you have a syncing problem).

Go to the receive tab. There you will see a grid with the headings 'Date', 'Label', 'Message' and 'Amount DASH'. Each line is an address. You don't see the address in the grid, but if you double click on each line you'll see the address. Check if XqKqzJkXsMdwWy73PCoQseDryxajpE8mRL is there.

Yep synched and that address is not in there. I have 3 receiving addresses but none of them match that one.

I would say try to contact Poloniex support but they aren't exactly known for quick customer service times... Wish you all the luck getting your coins back, we're working on a new Dash Wallet that will hopefully eliminate issues like this in the future.

Back