• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Hello: I'm Darren Tapp (汤德润) a DIF Supervisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
$10,000 is director fees.
$452.64 filing fees for the change in Supervisors
$3,657.50 Legal advice

@TroyDASH had a question on reddit.

So the dash/gold ratio is still 98%/2%, unchanged since the last report in July? Did we just completely toss the original plan or...

Thank you for this question.

relevant facts

Demelza was responsible for placing the orders that executed a balancing strategy. As the DIF funding proposal did not pass for two moths, (it passed the third, thanks Dash Network) it was difficult to support her position. Demelza has moved on to a position at cointelegraph. I feel blessed that Demelza was available to me to help with continuity, and answer my questions.

What the DIF has been doing

We've been reviewing and establishing our vision/mission/goals. In that discussion there is much support for a trading strategy. In fact, there is support for a trading strategy that would be spread over several real asset classes. (A bond is a financial asset not a real asset.) There is also support for using a bot to execute this trading strategy.

Answer of your question

So the previous trading strategy has not been executed as Demelza departed. The DIF is working on updating and revamping the trading strategy and expects to roll it out using a bot so that, among other advantages, the departure of one employee or supervisor won't interrupt the strategy.

A solid foundation

Our work on vision/mission/goals is fonudational to the DIF. Without a clear mission, the work of the DIF could get confusing. Goals also will set a scope for the DIF, and restrict mission creep. The most optimized trading strategy won't matter much if there is no vision or mission for the assets that are being traded.

Dash Network, these are growing pains. It's fine to have growing pains, as long as we grow. I can report that the DIF is indeed growing and maturing.

Last edited:

Ryan Taylor's original description of the DIF included an investment manager. It did not specify an optional investment manager or an eventual investment manager. He even listed the "appointment of an investment manager" as the first task of the newly elected supervisors. The reason for this IMHO is because while it's ok for amateur investors to manage their own money, it's improper for amateur investors to manage OTHER people's money.

My position is and has always been that the liquid investment strategy that the DIF employs must either be devised by a professional, credentialed investment manager, OR if the supervisors themselves devise a plan, it must be somehow ratified by the DAO itself, either by poll or proposal.

Thanks for your comments.

I sorry you don't feel that our supervisors are as talented as I do.

I also am disappointed that you didn't contact me first before you falsely assume, and present to the network, that I am not an accredited investor.

You're just factually wrong on that point, and I would like you to apologize.

Also I know that I don't know everything. I am asking smart people, including Demelza, that have more knowledge than I have about some topics.

I also invite any interested party to inspect Ryan's employment history before DCG. https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-taylor-dash/

Last edited:
I spent a fair amount of time trying to make my concerns and my argument as clear as possible. Please don't take offense as I am simply trying to insure that the DIF we were presented with and which we voted for is the DIF we get.

The DIF may not always have supervisors of yours and Ryan's caliber. IMHO we need to create a structure whereby we insure that a professional investment manager signs off on the investment strategy or else the DAO itself signs off on the investment strategy. If we don't do this we are at the mercy of whoever happens to be elected to supervise the DIF. I made an analogy about this problem. When you get on a commercial airplane, you do not elect a pilot from the passengers to fly the plane. There are trained, credentialed pilots hired to fly the plane.

Last edited:
Geert,

Yes the DIF may not always have supervisors as qualified as our current "dream team." I share your concern.

I joined DCG in 2017 because I was worried that Dash might end up like BTC. I was a strong advocate for DIP 0001 which increased dash's transaction capacity. I left DCG with full confidence that the talent that DCG has can deliver the product as, and better than, advertised.

I do plan to devote thought and time to have the social dynamics of the entire dash ecosystem can be hardened. I've passively sat by and seen social attack after social attack. The Dash ecosystem has responded fairly well to these events and I see it maturing. My concern about having people that don't want peer-to-peer digital cash in the elected positions was a strong reason I wanted to run for these positions.

When it's time for me to depart the DIF I expect I'll have the same confidence in my replacements as I have in Dash Core Group.

Let's circle back to this, privately, in about two weeks. I think a private discussion would be more productive.

@EUsouth

I don't know if the monthly assignments will have the same flavor, but I can report the November is an exciting month for the DIF.

This month, we are pleased to announce that we have secured an opportunity for the DAO should they choose to accept it. We also have put in a pre-proposal about requesting funds for replenishing our reserves.

As for assignments, we are working on vision, mission, and goals. One major reason for this is to limit scope so that we can focus on success in a limited area. Last week, the DIF voted to approve text of the DIF's vision.

==VISION==
The DIF will

• Facilitate the solicitation, negotiation, and due diligence of investments of potential interest to the Dash DAO
  • Guide entrepreneurs seeking funding from the DIF by educating them on the process and best practices to improve the chances for a successful investment
  • Manage reserves for the network in a manner that balances the needs to grow the reserves, and to limit risks
  • Seed the liquidity and growth of emerging Dash financial markets or products
  • Conduct all activities with a high degree of transparency - while providing a bridge to the needs of potential partners desiring to protect non-public information
==END VISION==

So our next step is to draft and approve a mission that supports this vision. As far as assignments go, I'm hoping vision, mission, goals can be completed by the end of the calendar year. After that the next assignment will be process, and I hope this will involve a discussion of continuity, and robustness as an institution.

When you get on a commercial airplane, you do not elect a pilot from the passengers to fly the plane. There are trained, credentialed pilots hired to fly the plane.

Something maybe worth bearing in mind on that point, when we want a pilot to fly a Saturn lander we don't hire someone with Saturn lander piloting credentials because they don't exist yet. Distributed economics is a whole new field, no one has credentials in it because those credentials don't exist yet. I'm not saying we should pick some random member of the public from the street and put them in charge but I would urge caution on trying to apply long established but often totally inappropriate methods from a similar field. Practically every industry is littered with outdated methods and practices simply because that's the way it's always been done.

The DIF board of supervisors has formed an IT subcommittee.

The IT subcommittee will handle some IT needs of the DIF such as website etc. However, the main task is to investigate and research trading strategies using bots and report back to the whole board of supervisors.

The members of this subcommittee are:

Darren
Hytham
Michael

Here's the 2020 Q3 DIF Board of Supervisors report. Note this only reports through the end of September. This is prepared in conjunction with the balance sheet which is liked above and you can find it here. https://github.com/DashInvests/dif-communication/blob/master/DIF-balance-sheet-2020-Q3.pdf

I signed this report with my personal key.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Dash Investment Foundation Board of Supervisors 2020 Q3 Report

An election for Dash Investment Supervisors was completed in July. Darren Tapp and Hytham Abdel-Karim were elected to fill two supervisor roles. A third elected supervisor declined to accept. While the minimum two supervisors required by law was fulfilled, Michael Lewis agreed to continue in his role. Darren was onboarded as the only new DIF supervisor from the election.

Darren was elected chair by Hytham and Michael.

Ryan and Rodrigo were invited to DIF meetings to evaluate how they could contribute. A special meeting was held with only the three sitting supervisors, Darren, Hytham and Michael. At that meeting there was a unanimous vote to appoint Ryan and Rodrigo to fill two additional vacancies. The board is permitted to fill vacancies as required.

In September the DIF BoS met four times. We discussed these topics with the following conclusion.

1. Should the DIF run masternodes?

--There was general agreement that the DIF should not run masternodes.

--Running masternodes will tend to dilute other masternodes of the DAO and would lead to potential conflicts with ability to vote on DIF proposals with network-provided funding.

2. Set Goals

- --Mission and Vision for the organization should be made clear before taking any actions

- --General support for a balancing strategy among real assets

- --General support for investing in companies that support Dash’s growth

- --General support for acting as a DAO savings account (e.g., act a repository for the DAO to accumulate assets that it can vote to deploy toward investments)

3. Jakob form ReadyRaider attended a meeting and the DIF BoS formulated a response to a proposal from ReadyRaider.

- --Outcome was a MOU contingent on their proposal passing.

4. The DIF using reserves to improve mixing speed or privacy by providing mixing liquidity was discussed.

- --It is not clear weather providing more liquidity would speed up mixing experience of users significantly

- --Unanswered question about technical improvements being more helpful

- --Concern that transparency of the DIF might actually compromise mixing privacy.

5. The DIF started evaluating Quadency third week of September.

- --Outcome of that is a proposal to the network https://www.dashcentral.org/p/DIF-Decision-Proposal-Quadency

6. Three other opportunities were explored. We are still evaluating two of them.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1
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=azTr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Launching DIF blog.

Please note the Dash Investment Foundation is launching a blog. A few initial posts have been put up here:

We're experimenting with IPFS. This blog can be found at the hash QmSeBYFjfkTTN5SpyahwczxtuKLneNko6xtbgM4Aq1qzuc
We'll need to update the hash when we update the blog.

The DIF is investigating making markets to increase liquidity and advance the FastPass Network.

The FastPass network has identified one strategic DASH/USDT market they would like the DIF to make.

Other supervisors and myself are uncomfortable with USDT exposure, so I had a call with the exchange and explored the creation of a DASH/USD pair. The initial discussion went well and it is hoped that a new DASH/USD pair will launch. The DIF is exploring making this pair with a professional service or our own humming bot instance.

The blog has been updated, the new hash is QmcoT5j6cHLta6NYGwLJyQB5r26Nm7iydRSAzRYrQNejfj

I see from your blog that you have taken the training wheels off and are now going to invest without input from the DAO. That's your prerogative. It was my hope that you would seek approval from the DAO for illiquid investments and rely upon a professional Investment Manager for your liquid investments, but you are the elected supervisors and I am just a shadowy anon with a big mouth.

I have full faith in the current supervisors. My main concern is that we maintain the caliber of supervisors we have now. I hope we can keep Ryan on as DIF supervisor indefinitely. Is it possible for him to run as supervisor next time?

I would like to thank all the DIF supervisors for your service to the DAO. It's important, and we appreciate it.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to make my concerns and my argument as clear as possible. Please don't take offense as I am simply trying to insure that the DIF we were presented with and which we voted for is the DIF we get.

The DIF may not always have supervisors of yours and Ryan's caliber. IMHO we need to create a structure whereby we insure that a professional investment manager signs off on the investment strategy or else the DAO itself signs off on the investment strategy. If we don't do this we are at the mercy of whoever happens to be elected to supervise the DIF. I made an analogy about this problem. When you get on a commercial airplane, you do not elect a pilot from the passengers to fly the plane. There are trained, credentialed pilots hired to fly the plane.

I know Geert probably took the time to vote DIF elections, wish we had had more applicants, but the Dash Watch voting process has a horrible UX.

@EUsouth
==VISION==
The DIF will

• Facilitate the solicitation, negotiation, and due diligence of investments of potential interest to the Dash DAO
  • Guide entrepreneurs seeking funding from the DIF by educating them on the process and best practices to improve the chances for a successful investment
  • Manage reserves for the network in a manner that balances the needs to grow the reserves, and to limit risks
  • Seed the liquidity and growth of emerging Dash financial markets or products
  • Conduct all activities with a high degree of transparency - while providing a bridge to the needs of potential partners desiring to protect non-public information
==END VISION==

So our next step is to draft and approve a mission that supports this vision. As far as assignments go, I'm hoping vision, mission, goals can be completed by the end of the calendar year. After that the next assignment will be process, and I hope this will involve a discussion of continuity, and robustness as an institution.

Darren, I love the vision...did you guys end up creating a mission? Did you also create the financial report for q4 2020? Last I saw was a pdf on darrentap.com....is there a section on the dashinvests site for that? I may have missed it....

Anyway....you guys have been KILLING IT at the DIF...so keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back