• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Has Evan - or any DEV.......

M

MangledBlue

eduffield
and DEVs

Curious question, with all the Apple stuff going down.
Have you, Evan, or any of the DEVs, been contacted by any "GOV representatives"?
Recently or in the past - concerning DASH?

As far as I know, nope. But maybe that is what they told us to say :tongue:

Now seriously (but again, as far as I know, I can't speak for everyone in the team), we have been contacted a couple of times in the past by press (I remember Fox News Texas, but there was someone else) because there was some noise about us and dark markets. We did a statement and that was it. If you search a little you can find the video in the forums. Also, we have been contacted by authorities in China because of a big ponzi scheme that was using our name last year, but it had nothing to do with tech, so it doesn't compare.

Truth is, we are still too small to really get any attention.

This is just an Apple marketing tactic. They are rotten and already share their data. It's a discussion meant to fool your average moron user into thinking the company's cool.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...lling-government-demand-build-backdoor-iphone

While we applaud Cook's rebelliousness, we wonder just how much of it is merely theater. After all as Snowden previously revealed, the NSA already has full access to all the iPhone data it needs. Recall from "NSA Mocks Apple's "Zombie" Customers; Asks "Your Target Is Using A BlackBerry? Now What?" where we noted something quite amusing:

the NSA itself mocks Orwell, using a reference from the iconic Apple "1984" advertisement...

... As it says the man who has become "Big Brother" is none other than AAPL's deceased visionary leader Steve Jobs...

... And is so very grateful for Apple's paying client "Zombies" who make its job so much easier

Lucky for Tim Cook, the American collective may have "secure" phones, but its memory lasts 15 minutes tops.​

I seriously doubt this is marketing tactic.
They can easily access Cloud info - but to actually crack the phone.......

I seriously doubt this is marketing tactic.
They can easily access Cloud info - but to actually crack the phone.......
While we applaud Cook's rebelliousness, we wonder just how much of it is merely theater. After all as Snowden previously revealed, the NSA already has full access to all the iPhone data it needs.

saying it twice doesn't add more weight

Thought you've missed that part since it was in the quoted section. It's not about the cloud stuff, it's about full access to the phone. They already have that. iPhones are the most hackable phones ever. They are designed to be spyware devices. You can't even remove the battery.

I have never been contacted by any gov. representative, neither German, nor US.

Though i understand some of your scepticism, watch out not to cross the line of paranoia :)

I live in a country were the usage and creation of computer algorithms for protecting your privacy is not considered as being illegal. If that ever changes, something is miserably wrong.

You know I luv's ya Flare - You're a good man.
But I have to stir the pot from time to time
I am NOT a YES man and I don't just follow the herd
I am committed to DASH tho
I've been here since nearly the beginning
- only missed out for the first 2 months
but you'll never hear me scream instamine BS - lol

It was a simple question but - hummmmmm - why no answers?

I do thank you for your reply
I guess the person that should really answer is Evan
He holds the REAL keys to the castle :p

Luv's ya bro.

It was a simple question but - hummmmmm - why no answers?

To actually give you an answer, no contacts from govs, police or services so far. Only coin devs who want their wallet fixed or forked Dash and need help.

And people who ask if I _really_ look like Halle Berry :smile:

Perhaps Dash should implement a warrant canary?

Not really sure though what the government could compel the developers to do that would negatively impact users.

Perhaps Dash should implement a warrant canary?

Not really sure though what the government could compel the developers to do that would negatively impact users.

we talked about that warrant canary a while back and there are a lot of obsticals to it !
(it sounds easier said than done)

But because of it being obtained illegally they cannot use it as evidence in court.

In this case, since it's a terrorism case, using the evidence in court won't matter since these cases are not trialed in a public court, right?

To actually give you an answer, no contacts from govs, police or services so far. Only coin devs who want their wallet fixed or forked Dash and need help.

And people who ask if I _really_ look like Halle Berry :smile:

I always wondered who that was! LOL I'm not good at faces or names, so I had no clue!

But because of it being obtained illegally they cannot use it as evidence in court.

Really? I'm sure they could get a warrent?

Actually, I was told by another member that the issue is that if you enter the wrong password more than 10 times in an iphone, it wipes. So they want to get into the data on that phone/phones. The only way to do that, apparently, would be to do a software "upgrade" which either disables this or allows them in another way. The problem is, if this is created, then it can be used on any phone. If it leaks, it makes everyone's phone vulnerable??? I don't understand it, and probably got the details wrong, but that was the gist of what I got :p

Maybe it's a matter of giving away the key?

Back