• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Front-end Team Evolution Demo Video #1

I gather the answer is no, but just to clarify, will a person's contact list be visible to others, whether through viewing their profile, or blockchain analysis, or other methods?

I'm sure many people consider this sensitive information.

Okay, where to start...
  1. Who can see the metadata about my contacts? Honestly, I would barely use this if anyone can view my contacts. More so with blockchain because it makes deniability impossible.

2. I assume (guess) you will be using round-robin dns for the DAPI. How are you going to deal with security, especially at a state level, where dns has sometimes been compromised.

3. Are there practical limits to the number of contacts I can have? Say, for example, I'm a social influencer with 100,000K subs. How do I pay / engage that many people?

4. Will you extend this to payment codes for other cryptos? I am not suggesting we host multiple chains! But it seems to me, this could easily manage the keys for, say, bitcoin. Usernames that worked with bitcoin (and others) would be a huge deal.

5. Seems to me, this is going to generate HUGE amounts of network data and storage. Huge hardware requirements, but OTOH, it means MNOs are going to be FILTHY RICH! :-D Will sharding be implemented early on or later?

6. I still think you need to sit down and think hard about username management. I know they are not free, but name squatting will still be a major issue.

The privacy question was answered by one of the devs, Alex Werner, as a response to one of the YouTube comments.

To summarize his response, V1 (beta release) will not have any additional privacy features to keep others from seeing your contacts. Those will come down the road and could take up to a year. Core doesn’t want to delay Evo V1 for another year just for privacy so those who really want these features will have to wait.

Good thing is that the vast vast majority of the mainstream don’t care about privacy. If they did, they wouldn’t constantly be using sites like Facebook. The V1 release will be good enough to begin on-boarding the masses. This will increase the price, which in turn will give us more money in the budget to get features like privacy out the door as fast as possible.

The privacy question was answered by one of the devs, Alex Werner, as a response to one of the YouTube comments.

To summarize his response, V1 (beta release) will not have any additional privacy features to keep others from seeing your contacts. Those will come down the road and could take up to a year. Core doesn’t want to delay Evo V1 for another year just for privacy so those who really want these features will have to wait.

Good thing is that the vast vast majority of the mainstream don’t care about privacy. If they did, they wouldn’t constantly be using sites like Facebook. The V1 release will be good enough to begin on-boarding the masses. This will increase the price, which in turn will give us more money in the budget to get features like privacy out the door as fast as possible.

I completely disagree, I think you've completely misjudged public perception for what they care about. Say, for example, you have a regular bank account and you have various monthly payments setup. Would you mind that I can see your contacts as Coinbase, Verizon and democrats.org? Retro-fitting privacy would, in all likelihood, give dash a poor reputation, no less than the dreaded instamine issue that haunts us to this very day.

I completely disagree, I think you've completely misjudged public perception for what they care about. Say, for example, you have a regular bank account and you have various monthly payments setup. Would you mind that I can see your contacts as Coinbase, Verizon and democrats.org? Retro-fitting privacy would, in all likelihood, give dash a poor reputation, no less than the dreaded instamine issue that haunts us to this very day.

Well for one, I didn’t make this decision and that is what is going happen whether you like it or not... so I am not sure why you are attacking me.

Secondly, none of this is linked to your actual identity so the bank account example doesn’t make any sense. It is still just pseudonyms on the blockchain. And nobody is forcing you to use a pseudonym that you have used previously. If you register on the blockchain as ilovepeanuts2915 and have a contact listed as Coinbase, how am I to know that is same person I am responding to now — much less your indenity IRL.

Furthermore, as I said, people don’t have to use this if they are really concerned about privacy. You will not be forced to use Evo. You can wait for better privacy or never use it at all. You can still use the core wallet like you do today, mix, and protect your privacy as you see fit.

However, I think you are very mistaken if you think concern over some entity scraping the blockchain for a pseudonym contact list will slow adoption of Evo — and more wrongheaded if you think Core should delay for a year to please the minority.

It is well understood by most that the vast vast majority perfer convience and ease of use over privacy.

Well for one, I didn’t make this decision and that is what is going happen whether you like it or not... so I am not sure why you are attacking me.

Secondly, none of this is linked to your actual identity so the bank account example doesn’t make any sense. It is still just pseudonyms on the blockchain. And nobody is forcing you to use a pseudonym that you have used previously. If you register on the blockchain as ilovepeanuts2915 and have a contact listed as Coinbase, how am I to know that is same person I am responding to now — much less your indenity IRL.

Furthermore, as I said, people don’t have to use this if they are really concerned about privacy. You will not be forced to use Evo. You can wait for better privacy or never use it at all. You can still use the core wallet like you do today, mix, and protect your privacy as you see fit.

However, I think you are very mistaken if you think concern over some entity scraping the blockchain for a pseudonym contact list will slow adoption of Evo — and more wrongheaded if you think Core should delay for a year to please the minority.

It is well understood by most that the vast vast majority perfer convience and ease of use over privacy.

I am disagreeing with you so I'm sorry if it came across as attack. You had said, "Good thing is that the vast vast majority of the mainstream don’t care about privacy.", which I simply take as your opinion, so I countered.

You say none of this is linked to an actual identity but someone like Coinbase will collect KYC, so they will indeed be able to link to other contacts. Keep in mind, it may well be mobile apps that are integrating the DAPI, thus they may well have your phone number, wifi identity, location and more. Yes, users don't have to accept such terms, but what are the realistic alternatives if the app provider is something of a oligopoly?

As for waiting another year, I think that's a distortion of the facts, Core have already taken a significant time to get to this point. Having said that, I don't see how it could take a whole year to add privacy. First, I think it could be achieved within 6 months. And secondly, we could possibly integrate with the Enigma project.

A user could create multiple usernames, but this just exasperates problems i.e. having to manage multiple usernames / emails / passwords, which no one wants.

For me, this is such a significant issue, I will be voting down Core until they resolve this. I say this with the best intentions because I don't want to be spending millions later in PR recovery exercises when we can avoid it now.

I am disagreeing with you so I'm sorry if it came across as attack. You had said, "Good thing is that the vast vast majority of the mainstream don’t care about privacy.", which I simply take as your opinion, so I countered.

You say none of this is linked to an actual identity but someone like Coinbase will collect KYC, so they will indeed be able to link to other contacts. Keep in mind, it may well be mobile apps that are integrating the DAPI, thus they may well have your phone number, wifi identity, location and more. Yes, users don't have to accept such terms, but what are the realistic alternatives if the app provider is something of a oligopoly?

As for waiting another year, I think that's a distortion of the facts, Core have already taken a significant time to get to this point. Having said that, I don't see how it could take a whole year to add privacy. First, I think it could be achieved within 6 months. And secondly, we could possibly integrate with the Enigma project.

A user could create multiple usernames, but this just exasperates problems i.e. having to manage multiple usernames / emails / passwords, which no one wants.

For me, this is such a significant issue, I will be voting down Core until they resolve this. I say this with the best intentions because I don't want to be spending millions later in PR recovery exercises when we can avoid it now.

You think it could be achieved in 6 months, based on...what?

You are well within your rights to vote down Core. A single MNO, be it you or me, can’t sink a proposal so I am not particularly concerned about that. Given the overall excitement about the Evo demo and the general lifting of the communications veil, I seriously doubt Core will have trouble getting proposals approved.

As for identity, Coinbase knows who you are so yes they can data mine you — but so can Facebook and millions upon millions use their service. I stand by my claim that a temporary lack of privacy will not a barrier for Joe Nobody using Evo.

Lastly, a Evo backend dev stated that it could take up to a year to add privacy. I simply reported what he said so I don’t see how I am distorting facts. If you have some ideas to speed things along then you should take that up with Core.

No merchant will want their customer list or vendor list exposed, so this would be a non-starter without privacy.

I feel like we are just speculating until we hear directly from Core on this issue.

No merchant will want their customer list or vendor list exposed, so this would be a non-starter without privacy.

I feel like we are just speculating until we hear directly from Core on this issue.

Feel free to check out the YouTube comments yourself. Alex Werner’s (Evo dev) response is in there.

Maybe your reading of his comment will be different from mine.

Btw, I am not sure why a merchant would care if somebody found out that they are dealing with ilovepeanuts2915, but I won’t rehash a point that I have already made. Also not sure why so many people think that most will use their actual identity (or business name) as a user name in Evo. Some will, most won’t — and in any case, it won’t be easy for a third party to definitively prove (beyond a doubt) that user name “Starbucks” is actually the company or just some rando. (Unless of course they had something on their site stating that this is our Dash user name. )

Last edited:
If you are going to use your real name as your evolution username then fine, have a whinge. 99% of people will use some handle like Sweatysocks442, why would I care if I bought dildos under that username when no one can link it to my real identity?

This is a non-issue for MVP launch imo and something we can optimize later on down the track as a nice to have.

So what username should a legitimate business use?

And please reflect on how companies like Coinfirm work; they make two-way sharing agreements, which is how they are able to put names to public addresses. Exposed contact lists is handing them a golden opportunity.

So what username should a legitimate business use?

And please reflect on how companies like Coinfirm work; they make two-way sharing agreements, which is how they are able to put names to public addresses. Exposed contact lists is handing them a golden opportunity.

Starbucks contact list is exposed and found that a username called sweatysocks442 bought 5 coffees a day. Nobody knows who owns the handle is in real life. What’s the fuss about?

Legitimate businesses can use whatever username they like as long as there is some way to verify its them. Like a merchant verification. Look on eBay, there are real world businesses using heaps of different usernames.

Back