• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Fluctuating price

Dark

Yesterday, Darkcoin was valued at close to 15 dollars. As of about ten seconds ago, it is now $11.57

I'm wondering, what exactly influences the price of Darkcoin? Why does it go up and down? What causes it to rise and fall?

If crypto currencies didn't fluctuate, speculators wouldn't invest and so they'd be worth very little. The fact that people think they can make a profit is the very thing that allows them to... a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Speculators and low market volume combine to create big fluctuations

I think, after the crypto coin market has matured, it will stabilize as much as the stock market. It'll be easier to use as a currency then. It will take a while to go main stream, and despite what people say, I'm sure we'll be main stream. People will want to do anything personal with Darkcoin. Who want's the world to see you buy your undies at Victoria's Secrets? Or have a handbag fetish? LOL, I have my favorite hobbies that my family and friends wouldn't understand (cryptos being one of them) I don't talk about them, don't want the world to know if, like Satoshi, I spent all my time and money on trains. It's my business! I don't think I'm unusual. I think I'm pretty mainstream.

The perceived complexity of cryptocoins in general is what turns away a lot of public/merchants. Anything innovative that challenges the status quo will create the same response. When people perceive more than speculative value in DRK is when its value will really increase.

There's not going to be a specific single reason for that kind of thing, it's the interplay of various unknown and probably unknowable factors at that moment in time. Major trends you can explain, small fluctuations are not necessarily explainable.

The reason Darkcoin is trending UP is because it is superior to Bitcoin in what it provides to the user and there is no way Bitcoin can change direction to match it. Probably most of the Bitcoin economy is avoiding the prohibition of various regimes. Darkcoin is vastly superior for that. As a way to get the human race out of this statist prison, it is very superior as well.

We are still at a point where most and probably the vast majority of people have never heard of Bitcoin. Who has been winning up to this point means jack shit. If this Darksend works right, it's going to be a game-changer.

Back