• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Evolution update

AndyDark

Hi everyone,

I'm Andy Freer and currently leading the Evolution web/mobile development team and reporting to Evan.

I thought I would give some background on the Evo development and a (very) brief update as to where we are for those who are interested.

Team structure

Our team is designing & developing DAPI and everything exterior to that, such as the API libraries, Evo wallets, client libraries, SDKs, usage samples, documentation and also the ecosystem components to communicate & provide that when Evo is launched, and the team is currently segmented between Web and Mobile contributors.

The core layers of Evolution such as DashDrive and DAPI internals are being developed by the core team so it's a collaboration between teams with DAPI being the touch point we interoperate via, with Evan guiding the overall system architecture & development.

Development Status

We have mapped out the full top-level Evo architecture now and have prototypes / proofs of concept code for most of the areas we need (which are mainly Dash Social, Dash Wallet and Dash Pay).

The next step will be organizing and integrating some of these projects into the full suite of repositories we need, along with finalizing some of finer details of how some of the components will operate and interoperate, and speccing everything.

So we are still in essentially design/prototype phase but soon we will be full-swing into the development phase and it will get easier to communicate what the progress is and enable contributors to work more productively.

Questions

If there are any questions you have that are in our team's area me or one of the other team members can try to answer it here. I don't think many team members are big forum users as we spend most of our time communicating about development on Slack so apologies if answers are delayed or posts are missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it true that currently the whole team is mainly concentrated on DASH Evolution?

Another simple question: a plan for PrivacyProtect (Darksend v2) as well as a Faster PrivacyProtect implementation are on the roadmap 2016 ( https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-2016-roadmap.8068/ ), it has been announced on February 18th 2016. Could you please update on the status of those extremely important items?

Or are those two items somehow not so important?

Technical question:

I cloned the source repository with Evolution on my Ubuntu box:

Code:
$ git clone https://github.com/evan82/electrum-dash.git evolution

When I start ./electrum-dash or ./electrum-dash-env from the evolution directory, then I get the following Python error:

Code:
ImportError: No module named coinhash

Please help!

dark_wanderer:

"Is it true that currently the whole team is mainly concentrated on DASH Evolution?"

Not at all, the core team are working on Dash 12.1. Tier 3 Dash Evolution is all new developers including myself. Core is generally c++, T3 is mostly higher level languages like Javascript, Python, Java etc, so this has opened more opportunities for community members to contribute which is what has happened.

"a plan for PrivacyProtect (Darksend v2) as well as a Faster PrivacyProtect implementation are on the roadmap 2016..."

DSV2 / PrivacyProtect are core areas mainly so not part of our work directly, i'm not sure of the progress right now but I know they are core team priorities.

dark_wanderer:

"Is it true that currently the whole team is mainly concentrated on DASH Evolution?"

Not at all, the core team are working on Dash 12.1. Tier 3 Dash Evolution is all new developers including myself. Core is generally c++, T3 is mostly higher level languages like Javascript, Python, Java etc, so this has opened more opportunities for community members to contribute which is what has happened.

"a plan for PrivacyProtect (Darksend v2) as well as a Faster PrivacyProtect implementation are on the roadmap 2016..."

DSV2 / PrivacyProtect are core areas mainly so not part of our work directly, i'm not sure of the progress right now but I know they are core team priorities.
Thanks, Andy. May be we should create another thread for discussing DSV2 / PrivacyProtect ? I assume that it is not only me who is interested to know more about the progress!

One question for understanding (may be a stupid one):

Can DASH Evolution provide a similar kind of functionality as OpenBazaar?

Buyer <-> Seller in DASH/DarkSend and instant transactions without intermediaries, with multisignatures to prevent fraud? Who would play the role of a moderator?

I also wonder if a darknet operator could choose Evolution for running something like Silk Road.

One question for understanding (may be a stupid one):

Can DASH Evolution provide a similar kind of functionality as OpenBazaar?

Buyer <-> Seller in DASH/DarkSend and instant transactions without intermediaries, with multisignatures to prevent fraud? Who would play the role of a moderator?

I also wonder if a darknet operator could choose Evolution for running something like Silk Road.

These suggestions / questions (Open Bazaar,Markets) all come down to the Masternote network
and eventually you could run (nearly) anything you wanted on there
but
there is a standing vote in the community
currency 1st
and anything else (Markets or Messaging or encrypted this and that....) after
+ as evan and the team are all public figures (in the US and abroad)
any 'illegal' activities (silk road ...) on the network
would not be happening :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
any 'illegal' activities (silk road ...) on the network
would not be happening :wink:
I would like to remind you that the Silk road operators did not ask Satoshi whether he would be happy if drugs are sold for Bitcoin.

And, likewise, the DASH developers will not be asked to endorse drugs trading with DASH, DarkSend and InstantX.

I would like to remind you that the Silk road operators did not ask Satoshi whether he would be happy if drugs are sold for Bitcoin.

And, likewise, the DASH developers will not be asked to endorse drugs trading with DASH, DarkSend and InstantX.

obviously you can use Dash as a currency wherever wanted or needed
no worries
but hosting silkroad on the MN Network would be a totally different legal spiel !

obviously you can use Dash as a currency wherever wanted or needed
no worries
but hosting silkroad on the MN Network would be a totally different legal spiel !
Actually, my original question was about DASH Evolution and OpenBazaar.

Can I sell my old laptop for DASH? Can I pay for a small project using this platform?

Or am I asking the wrong questions about Evolution?

Also, I would like to try the demo version. Four days ago I posted a Python import error I get. Is there any update on that issue? If questions are welcome here, why are they not answered???

Actually, my original question was about DASH Evolution and OpenBazaar.

Can I sell my old laptop for DASH? Can I pay for a small project using this platform?

Or am I asking the wrong questions about Evolution?

Also, I would like to try the demo version. Four days ago I posted a Python import error I get. Is there any update on that issue? If questions are welcome here, why are they not answered???

Open Bazaar does not accept Dash, only BTC for now

Evolution will be a payment platform, not a trading platform (when launched)

i think the demo version is not for public testing (i might be wrong, lets see what AndyDark sais)
it was a prototype for the Miami Conference.

Open Bazaar does not accept Dash, only BTC for now

Evolution will be a payment platform, not a trading platform (when launched)

i think the demo version is not for public testing (i might be wrong, lets see what AndyDark sais)
it was a prototype for the Miami Conference.

Yea but seeing as we are a Bitcoin fork, we should be able to take the payment module and add Dash into the project I'm sure, thats what the OB devs told me on Reddit a while back...

Yea but seeing as we are a Bitcoin fork, we should be able to take the payment module and add Dash into the project I'm sure, thats what the OB devs told me on Reddit a while back...

yes, it is totally possible, that is not the problem
but
it does not mean they will pull it in the end or not
a pure Dash Market is too early we believe, Dash parallel;el to BTC on OB would be perfect
but that would depend on them to accept the pull request (they never confirmed this as they have their hands full with launching OB and are way behind in that for now)
we were in touch with them a couple of times and have discuss this over and over before
eventually yes hopefully
now is wrong timing
:rolleyes:

Actually I have contacted OB development team and asked about the possibility of Dash integration few weeks ago.
They told me that current OB architecture is very closely integrated with BTC - it is literally hard-coded there. OB is not designed in a way to integrate other currencies and it looks like the only possibility to integrate Dash into it is a fork.

Actually I have contacted OB development team and asked about the possibility of Dash integration few weeks ago.
They told me that current OB architecture is very closely integrated with BTC - it is literally hard-coded there. OB is not designed in a way to integrate other currencies and it looks like the only possibility to integrate Dash into it is a fork.
So, what should be a preferred way to sell a laptop for crypto:

1) Use OpenBazaar and Bitcoin
2) Use DASH Evolution
3) Fork OpenBazaar and implement DASH support

?

I have the impression that the goals of DASH Evolution are not clearly defined. I hope that I am wrong, otherwise we can forget about mass adoption.

So, what should be a preferred way to sell a laptop for crypto:

1) Use OpenBazaar and Bitcoin
2) Use DASH Evolution
3) Fork OpenBazaar and implement DASH support

?

I have the impression that the goals of DASH Evolution are not clearly defined. I hope that I am wrong, otherwise we can forget about mass adoption.

You can actually recreate OpenBazaar as an Evolution app without needing most of the OB infrastructure.

Back