Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Evolution update

Discussion in 'Development Tech Discussion' started by AndyDark, Mar 1, 2016.

1. TanteStefana

TanteStefana Grizzled Member
    Foundation Member

I don't like the way OB works, with the doubling up of payments, etc... there should be an easier way, but aside from that, I still desperately desire to see Dash build a marketplace that is hosted on the MN network's sharded storage, so it can be accessed by users as easily as ebay. Illegal sales could be reported and deleted (community regulated) which *should* keep masternodes safe legally. have a small fee off the total sale go to the MNs for hosting, and it's win-win.

Sorry, it's my dearest hope so I keep bringing it up

2. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

In this vain, I'd like to see people able to deposit funds in a smart contract that, when totalling 1000 dash, can be used as a Masternode collateral. That way, grouped collateral can be trustless. Rewards could go to a secondary address to be withdrawn, split and pay for services. That could even be automatic as well.

• Like Like x 3
  3. dark_wanderer

dark_wanderer Member

setup.py install did not succeed, as I reported above, and so it could not have fixed anything. ./electrum-dash still crashes with an import error.

I installed all the Python dependencies for Electrum as well as DASH Electrum according to the shipped documentation.

It happens quite often that developers (I am a developer myself) publish something that works on the developer machine/environment only :))) I cannot believe that it is only me who gets those errors with the source repository version, although typically people do not start with the source version. But let's wait for a first release, may be we will be able at least to start it without errors.

I still hope that one day I will be able to sell my old laptop for DASH without having to use Bitcoin, PayPal, ebay etc.

4. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Active Member

Sounds like it can't find the GUI files it's looking for, tried searching the source for "electrum_dash_gui" to see what it's expecting to find? Might be they're still being worked on or need symlinks. It's a long time since I ran the version in Evans repository and I a similar error due to a problem with pip and another external module on my system but iirc that prevented me running any version, not just the one in development.

5. AndyDark

AndyDark Well-known Member

Hi babygiraffe. That's a good point, we could fit HD multisignature in to the current account structure without much trouble. We also have plans for different levels of authorization built into the auth protocol.

We've been trying out PayPal and Google Wallet but actually Stripe would be the closest to our strategy as it's the easiest to use and least hassle for users. Our first DashPay feature will just be a 'pay with Dash' button though without any frills, but we can build those up and have planned most of that out when designing the architecture.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AndyDark

Hey Tante. I can see how we could do this with the architecture we are planning but it won't be in V1. Main things we would need are a way for users to manage products and sell using moderated multisig contracts. Both of those could be added as hardwired features so if we add those I would say OB would be doable and they can be added in without changing the current architecture.

Another strategy is allowing apps to store data in DashDrive which would enable more complex apps to decentralize their provision and payment functions but that's something to consider later. There are some issues with that though e.g. once we start storing application content that might have legal ramifications and also one large app could use a lot of storage and API activity in the system so the economics would have to be worked out and if that fits in with the overall strategy.

I hear what you're saying though about OB built on Dash that would be cool, in the mean time adding Dash to OB would be good though I think :)

• Like Like x 5
  7. AndyDark

Hey Jeremy. Yes part of the planning of the architecture has been to enable this later if we want. Our strategy is a bit different though, what we consider an 'app' is something like Twitter or Shapeshift or a webstore, they are centralized external services that we provide decentralized financial services for, rather than thinking of apps as code running inside the blockchain like in Ether that you need a p2p wallet to access. Therefore personally I think we would have more like contracts as decentralized business logic that apps can run on the Dash blockchain to add value to the API service they are already consuming.

We won't build it for now though because we just want the basic Evolution in the market, which is signup/login (DashSocial), basic evo wallet (DashWallet) and basic merchant 'pay with Dash' button (DashPay)

• Like Like x 5
  8. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

Awesome, AndyDark, that'd work. Sorry, I can't help myself, but could you guesstimate when we'll see the first Evo implementation in Testnet? Also, I got a Dash in my electrum/evo sample wallet, is it gone forever now? LOL.

9. AndyDark

TanteStefana hard to say, design process is completing soon so it will be easy to map out the work schedule. Could be 12 months for fully working version with the current workforce. I'm hoping we can accelerate that though and get more developers involved once everything is specced using DGBB, it could really help us speed up development.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ryan Taylor

Ryan Taylor Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member

Take a look at Braintree (a PayPal company) too. They started after Stripe, but they have been outgrowing them. The model and API are very very similar, but they are doing a few things differently that you might find helpful. Really happy that you are using these as models! They are all the best in the industry. If you make life easy for programmers and gateway service providers to integrate, it really helps with adoption.

11. AndyDark

Yes I like Braintree, similar to Stripe like you say. We've been prototyping with a lot of solutions lately and comparing them to make sure Evolution architecture can provide the common thread of functions going forward. This all comes under the DashPay brand and like you say we want to make that easy for developers and gateway providers to integrate to make adoption more attractive.

The first thing to do with that will be letting them integrate DashPay into their app just like a normal 'client-server' system with e.g. a JavaScript lib for the frontend and a NodeJS/Ruby/PHP sdk for their server that talks to our 'API', with the difference obviously on the backend our AI is powered by our P2P network, but apart from some extra security steps from their perspective it's just as easy to work with as any other online payment provider.

DashPay at Evolution launch will be super simple though, you signup for a Dash account and fill in some additional fields to become a merchant (DashPay API-key), then you add your 'app' in the Dash system (e.g. my web shop) and then you can display your 'pay with Dash' button that will create a payment request in the Dash system similar to a Stripe checkout/charge. It's more like IAP at that stage but then we can start adding on more complex functions like order/customer info, subscriptions, refunds, discounts etc. It means we will have a list of 'apps' in the Dash system tied to users we can query and rate too.

• Like Like x 7
  12. oaxaca

oaxaca Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Why not submit a proposal now (soon)? If you had more DASH available, do you have any coders in mind that could jump in?

• Like Like x 4
  13. AndyDark

oaxaca I hadn't really thought about it because it's hard to plug people into prototyping and working on the design...but thinking now we should have the new skeleton of the system soon which will be easier to get people in to accelerate...thinking...

• Like Like x 4
  14. oaxaca

oaxaca Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Just say the magic word...

15. AndyDark

oaxaca, spoke with Evan about this and he agrees we should apply for more budget funds to get more developers to build Evolution. The core team is obviously very well established and will build the Core aspects of Evolution (including DashDrive) but our web team (building everything from the new masternode app out to Evo's web end-users) is smaller and we have a lot to build, from the new Masternode app we are building through all the end-user/merchant libraries and end-user clients.

It's a bit early to do a full plan to fund and also I am having to do other work that is taking time of Dash so Evan suggested we just do this for now: https://www.dashwhale.org/p/evo-specifications

But i will work on a build plan that involves funding other devs and there are some really cool people we would like to approach with budget funds who are innovators in the Bitcoin space for the kind of tech we are building we would like to approach, and see also if others in the existing team can focus more time too.

• Like Like x 14
  16. boblq

boblq New Member

@AndyDark
    In the roadmap at https://github.com/evan82/dash-roadmap I read
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    13.0 - Evo v1 - Proof-Of-Work 2.0

collateralized mining implementation which supports energy efficiency mode
    use mining network simply for hashes, masternode network will determine validity of data
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this mean that mining will simply protect binary blobs that are handed up to the Masternode network for processing?

If so then I can place any kind of data in that blockcgain of blobs and process it. Thus I can build any conceivable kind of P2P service?

#46 boblq, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  17. rustycase

rustycase Active Member

Excellent thread ! The potential expressed herein is very interesting.
    My thanks to all participants !
    I do feel all effort should be made in the architecture to avoid legal liability to the DAO when facilitating P2P intercourse.
    Did I qualify myself as newbie ? Much for me to learn here...
    Best
    rc

• Like Like x 1