• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Evo question

halso

@AndyDark the evo preview looks awesome! Great work.

I have a question on dapps. Is it possible to kick a dapp off the platform, via MN vote or other means?

There is a risk we will turn into another dark market drug platform. OB is already going this way. If this happens then other mainstream business / and start ups will be put off joining.

@kot has this been raised as a risk?

While we are at it, I have a quick question about the apps store. Will there be a filter so that as a New Zealander I can filter the app store to only apps/merchants that service New Zealand. I say this because things like Living Room of Satoshi, Wall of Coins etc are not applicable to many countries. It would just make for a more clean and user friendly experience.

Evo includes a report feature. @halso

@itscrazybro Thats more of a new website question than one for Evo.
Besides, would you really want to be censored from merchants outside your i.p. country? We will never know for sure if a service is applicable or not to any given person. Like it the way it is, personally.

Evo includes a report feature. @halso

@itscrazybro Thats more of a new website question than one for Evo.
Besides, would you really want to be censored from merchants outside your i.p. country? We will never know for sure if a service is applicable or not to any given person. Like it the way it is, personally.
And what happens after a report? Can it be taken down by the core group?

I have a question on dapps. Is it possible to kick a dapp off the platform, via MN vote or other means?

There is a risk we will turn into another dark market drug platform. OB is already going this way. If this happens then other mainstream business / and start ups will be put off joining.

yep - moderators. there will be different kinds, and they will be incentivized, but everything is rated. so you can see scores and feedback on app transactions, and moderators themselves, or report. for blocking apps, that would be an admin function, which is a kind of moderation (i.e. MN operators)

PS: thanks for the compliment - Evo team FTW :)

And what happens after a report? Can it be taken down by the core group?

no we can't have the core group with any special privileges. the only privilege right now is sporks but the plan is to decentralized this later too.

our goal for everything we build is to be the most decentralized tech available and I hope this is apparent from the current tech and roadmap. This is fundamental to everything we are doing and is one of the things that differentiates us.

@1whoLikesDash You could easily do it by giving the merchant/service the ability to select their servicing area. I would personally like to have the option to filter merchants/services, I am not saying that it should be the default option but merely a option.

yes we'd like more categories than that. discovery is a key part because every app that integrates Dash (through the decentralized API) is automatically listed in the market place. so e.g. we won't need a static merchant directory like this: http://www-test.dash.org/merchants/ instead you can search apps from any API client (e.g.a web wallet or a site for finding certain dash apps) so that experience needs to be as easy to use / find things as possible - you can still go through the merchant site, service, app, game or whatever to buy products/services/content as normal (and the purchases will show against that app back in your Evo client too)

@AndyDark Sorry, I meant will it be possible for businesses to select which regional/geographical areas they service so that it is easy for users to filter through the apps and see what is applicable to their geographical location. For example, I am down here in New Zealand, so I will not be able to use Wall of Coins or Living Room of Satoshi, so will I have the option to filter these apps out of my app store? I would then hope that if I filtered them out of my app store and they expanded their services to New Zealand then it would show up as available in my app store.

Last edited:

Personally, I would want it to be a completely open market. If not, there would need to be some serious thinking into what the conditions are for what is or isn't allowed. Would it be judged on laws? would it be judged on morality? Some mix of both? Who would make the decisions?

If it's based on laws, we would need to consider the complexity of what is legal in different countries and states. Say, for example, an online pharmacy wanted to use evolution to take orders for drugs that are legal in their country but highly illegal in the USA.

I'm sure that there are some categories that nearly all users don't want on their system but they could possibly just be filtered in your personal preferences. Anything tagged as "bad" could be walled off into it's own dark hole but still accessible if you wanted.

@AndyDark Sorry, I meant will it be possible for businesses to select which regional/geographical areas they service so that it is easy for users to filter through the apps and see what is applicable to their geographical location. For example, I am down here in New Zealand, so I will not be able to use Wall of Coins or Living Room of Satoshi, so will I have the option to filter these apps out of my app store? I would then hope that if I filtered them out of my app store and they expanded their services to New Zealand then it would show up as available in my app store.

yes definitely. would like it to be as flexible as possible. we haven't locked in the details of things like categories yet, so it's good to hear things like this, thanks.

Personally, I would want it to be a completely open market. If not, there would need to be some serious thinking into what the conditions are for what is or isn't allowed. Would it be judged on laws? would it be judged on morality? Some mix of both? Who would make the decisions?

If it's based on laws, we would need to consider the complexity of what is legal in different countries and states. Say, for example, an online pharmacy wanted to use evolution to take orders for drugs that are legal in their country but highly illegal in the USA.

I'm sure that there are some categories that nearly all users don't want on their system but they could possibly just be filtered in your personal preferences. Anything tagged as "bad" could be walled off into it's own dark hole but still accessible if you wanted.

I think at the end of the day, like anything in Dash, it has to come down to what the network wants, which is ultimately the MN operators directly, and the miners and the end-users indirectly. I understand a lot of people would want a totally open market. But if we had illegal stores on clearnet through Evolution I doubt that would last long and that's really what the dark net is for and is not our target market and also a pretty tiny market for where we are heading. Anyway, easy way is to give the network the ability to moderate this (MNOs specifically through the governance system with a consensus, or e.g. delegates doing that on their behalf with an extremely high privelege based on reputation) that way, the network can decide what is allowed or not, and even rollback bans if they want

I think at the end of the day, like anything in Dash, it has to come down to what the network wants, which is ultimately the MN operators directly, and the miners and the end-users indirectly. I understand a lot of people would want a totally open market. But if we had illegal stores on clearnet through Evolution I doubt that would last long and that's really what the dark net is for and is not our target market and also a pretty tiny market for where we are heading. Anyway, easy way is to give the network the ability to moderate this (MNOs specifically through the governance system with a consensus, or e.g. delegates doing that on their behalf with an extremely high privelege based on reputation) that way, the network can decide what is allowed or not, and even rollback bans if they want
Exactly, the online drug market is miniscule in comparison to the finance industry. It's not worth it.

@AndyDark is it possible for moderators or an admin to verify the identity of an evo account holder? (If they voluntarily went through a verification process). Imagine a dapp only wanted to offer services to verified account holders. Would that be possible?

@AndyDark is it possible for moderators or an admin to verify the identity of an evo account holder? (If they voluntarily went through a verification process). Imagine a dapp only wanted to offer services to verified account holders. Would that be possible?
I guess they could do it with private messages. there's nothing in the system to distinguish 'verified' users or not. i guess someone could make an app for it but that would need custom data which would come later

I guess they could do it with private messages. there's nothing in the system to distinguish 'verified' users or not. i guess someone could make an app for it but that would need custom data which would come later
Hi @AndyDark, thanks for the reply.
This issue actually reminds me of an interview with Peter Thiel. He said Facebook's secret sauce wasn't its social network platform, but rather creating real identities on the internet. Perhaps Dash could replicate that success by being the first crypto project to create real identities on blockchain (an optional feature of course).

On a separate note, @babygiraffe any news of when the legal advice will be ready?

Hi @AndyDark, thanks for the reply.
This issue actually reminds me of an interview with Peter Thiel. He said Facebook's secret sauce wasn't its social network platform, but rather creating real identities on the internet. Perhaps Dash could replicate that success by being the first crypto project to create real identities on blockchain (an optional feature of course).

On a separate note, @babygiraffe any news of when the legal advice will be ready?
@halso: I think within the month, though no firm date is set. We have gone through two rounds of "statement of facts" with the law firm as they've done their research and case studies. They requested another timeslot to answer some final questions this week, but seem to be nearing the end of that phase. I think the write-up will take place quickly after the last of the relevant facts are determined and addressed.

Back