• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Evan's InstantX Demo on YouTube

6 month is way too much imo. How about we go the same way as for Darksend? Testing, private code review (by Kristov Atlas again or someone other security expert who can be trusted), fixing, opensource?

Can't wait to test this on Testnet! But I guess there's not much to test at all?

6 month is way too much imo. How about we go the same way as for Darksend? Testing, private code review (by Kristov Atlas again or someone other security expert who can be trusted), fixing, opensource?
I wouldn't mind at all if InstantX is never open sourced. This is totally different than Darksend.

I wouldn't mind at all if InstantX is never open sourced. This is totally different than Darksend.

Yes but open source is the principle on what all crypto is based. Would you have used anything crypto if somewhere in the white paper it said " this section not open source ...copyright...blah blah blah"

Innovation starts with competition. This is why imo DRK exists. BTC was good and new and fresh and here comes a lot of people who just copy and pasted the code and renamed it to something else. Darkcoin is a game changer and I believe in it BUT I can't say that I would feel the same way if it was all of a sudden closed source in any major aspect.

def keep the instanx code secret if possible, atm nothing to be gained in making it public
plus hope the developers can somehow leverage the current momentum and further develop darksend

We don't have to...InstantX (in the way it is implemented) is only possible with the existing Masternode network, and so far no other currency has something like this.

And building a secure Masternode network (means enough of them in independent(!) hands) from scratch needs some time and is very tricky when your new currency has almost no real value, means everyone and his little sister can buy into a Masternode for 10 Satoshi and try to trick the system.

We don't have to...InstantX (in the way it is implemented) is only possible with the existing Masternode network, and so far no other currency has something like this.

And building a secure Masternode network (means enough of them in independent(!) hands) from scratch needs some time and is very tricky when your new currency has almost no real value, means everyone and his little sister can buy into a Masternode for 10 Satoshi and try to trick the system.

Exactly.

There is no reason to give opponents and FUDers more ammo by going closed source when without a trustworthy MN network copying and pasting the source is useless.

Absolutely. With masternodes we have created a huge entry barrier, we should not worry about cloners. We are past the point when we can be just copied. I could get the code for eBay tomorrow and still I would be absolutely unable to compete because of the network effects.

Besides, open sourcing is good. It makes Darkcoin trustworthy. It puts more eyes in the code.

We don't have to make instantX opensource immediately after the development is done. We can wait until darkcoin gains more network effect.

Back