• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Encryption for Mac

recan86

Most security here is talked about Windows or Linux for the obvious reasons but what about Macbook?

Lets say I have Macbook and wasn't concerned all that much about security until this whole Snowden thing came about. After some research and digging I feel like a little kid who realized Santa isn't real and my parents are just cheap. So now that I know whats going on... Can anyone suggest a GOOD PGP and Disk encryption for Mac ideally open source and free?

Ideally I would like this thread to include anything and everything for Mac, yea I know "Down with Apple" but lets be serious. Some people can't afford getting a new operation system (they are all in on DRK:wink:). So explain like I'm five and break it down for me and anyone who is just lurking in the dark.

Down with apple!

No serious, if you want protection you need to start using less established operating systems like linux, just download ubuntu for your macbook and encrypt your disks using the default tools included. This is already a good start. for PGP use GnuPGP, thunderbird and enigmail plugin.

Can not help with OSx though.

Down with apple!

No serious, if you want protection you need to start using less established operating systems like linux, just download ubuntu for your macbook and encrypt your disks using the default tools included. This is already a good start. for PGP use GnuPGP, thunderbird and enigmail plugin.

Can not help with OSx though.

Did they ever patch bash? I don't think so...
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...to-shellshock-patch-coming-for-advanced-users
Instead they said most users aren't affected.

A linux distro is usually free. There are very easy ones to install with full functionality. I'd recommend Linux Mint if you take that route.

Most security here is talked about Windows or Linux for the obvious reasons but what about Macbook?

Lets say I have Macbook and wasn't concerned all that much about security until this whole Snowden thing came about. After some research and digging I feel like a little kid who realized Santa isn't real and my parents are just cheap. So now that I know whats going on... Can anyone suggest a GOOD PGP and Disk encryption for Mac ideally open source and free?

Ideally I would like this thread to include anything and everything for Mac, yea I know "Down with Apple" but lets be serious. Some people can't afford getting a new operation system (they are all in on DRK:wink:). So explain like I'm five and break it down for me and anyone who is just lurking in the dark.

Macintosh does offer full disk encryption.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4790

Only downside is: guess who has your keys?

Back