Electrum Wallet Guides

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Weird... I can't get the Trezor to work with electrum-dash on any other machines... It asks for the PIN, then instead of the confirm screen, it jumps to showing the wallet history, with only 3 VINs. It won't work at all with the wallet.trezor.io site... I looked for all the docs I could find, checking for dependencies... lsusb shows the Trezor. Comes and goes when plugged/unplugged. On the wallet.trezor.io site, it just sits there telling me to plug it in. Which I do and nothing happens. If I unplug it I get an error saying HID was interrupted... I can sit there and wait forever, nothing happens until I unplug it and get the HID error.

I can take it back to the original machine and it works flawlessly.

All the same OS, 16.04...

I'm guessing I'm missing a dependency, but I can't figure out what...

I'm trying to run it without any official dashcore installation. It's just electrum-dash and nothing else. Is there, perhaps, some dependency overlap that is unnoticed for people who are using the official dashcore, and it's dependencies, on the same machine?

Why should anyone care about this?

If you go to the downloads page and grab the electrum client and install it on a fresh 16.04 with all updates; it doesn't work. Dependencies listed here: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Install has no effect. Identical symptoms persist.

Last edited:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I tried Windows on the exact same machines, and the Windows electrum-dash works. So, it's not hardware or BIOS settings...

It's definitely a software issue, and probably a missing dependency. But, I can't identify it.

For this who with to run an electrum-only life with Hardware Wallets, this is a problem.

Can we get a solid list of dependencies for fresh/clean 16.04 installs?

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Welp, now electrum-dash on Windows has spontaneously quit working.

I'm down to one Linux machine on which electrum-dash still works. Every other electrum-dash installation has quit working without any indication why, or has never worked.

wallet.trezor.io continues to work perfectly in all instances.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Windows client(s) are now asking me to install github.com/trezor/python-trezor. Obviously not going to happen.

Since I can't get any useful output from Windows, I decided to go back to playing with the Linux clients...

After doing the PIN, it shows 3 TXes, all 3 unverified.

Oddly...

It shows the 1st VIN on the main account. It then shows one of the VINs on the second account. It then shows the last VIN on the main account. The main account has only two VINs. This is chronologically accurate, with the exception that a bunch of the second account's VINs are missing.

If you go to the addresses tab, it shows the second account as "pending." Apparently it's not bothering to chase down the rest of the BIP32 chain. Think it's related to the "pending" thing, because we know it checks for there actually being a payment on the top address before allowing the "account" creation to occur. It does recognize the first VIN, but that's it...

I re-iterate; works flawlessly on wallet.trezor.io - Trezor isn't busted. Obviously not an interfacing problem.

Noticed the new servers... and the .onion server. Nice touch. I selected it manually and it claims to be synching, but as with all other server selections, it never actually counts out the 2nd account's VINs, and leaves all 3 that it shows as "unverified." Not sure what's causing that, but I'm pretty sure:

1) the "unverified" status on all VINs
2) the fact that it's not chasing the rest of account 2's BIP32 chain
3) is chasing the main account's BIP32 chain
4) calling account 2 "pending account"

Are all the same root cause.

Last edited:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Just launched it for the 10-billionth time and it loaded everything...

Sumthin's flaky... But it worked... Was it server related? Seems someone is working on that end of things as I fool around.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
It's really hard to troubleshoot when you do the exact same thing over and over, and never get the same result twice...

There is an essential piece missing, which is kinda obvious. python-trezor needs to be installed. But, sometimes the hidapi build succeeds, sometimes it fails. There seems to be no reason because the dependency is present. It claims the file isn't there, and it very much is there.
Code:
[email protected]:~$ sudo -H pip install trezor
Collecting trezor
Requirement already satisfied: ecdsa>=0.9 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from trezor)
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools>=19.0 in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from trezor)
Collecting hidapi>=0.7.99 (from trezor)
  Using cached hidapi-0.7.99.post20.tar.gz
Requirement already satisfied: protobuf>=2.6.1 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from trezor)
Requirement already satisfied: mnemonic>=0.8 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from trezor)
Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.9 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from protobuf>=2.6.1->trezor)
Requirement already satisfied: pbkdf2 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from mnemonic>=0.8->trezor)
Building wheels for collected packages: hidapi
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for hidapi ... error
  Complete output from command /usr/bin/python -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-Uj9H6u/hidapi/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" bdist_wheel -d /tmp/tmpNHBN82pip-wheel- --python-tag cp27:
  running bdist_wheel
  running build
  running build_ext
  cythoning hid.pyx to hid.c
  building 'hid' extension
  creating build
  creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7
  creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hidapi
  creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hidapi/libusb
  x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fPIC -Ihidapi/hidapi -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0 -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c hid.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hid.o
  hid.c: In function ‘__pyx_pf_3hid_6device_open’:
  hid.c:1633:45: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘PyUnicodeUCS4_AsWideChar’ from incompatible pointer type [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
         __pyx_v_result = PyUnicode_AsWideChar(__pyx_v_serial_number, __pyx_v_cserial_number, __pyx_v_serial_len);
                                               ^
  In file included from /usr/include/python2.7/Python.h:85:0,
                   from hid.c:4:
  /usr/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:246:31: note: expected ‘PyUnicodeObject * {aka struct <anonymous> *}’ but argument is of type ‘PyObject * {aka struct _object *}’
   # define PyUnicode_AsWideChar PyUnicodeUCS4_AsWideChar
                                 ^
  /usr/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:591:24: note: in expansion of macro ‘PyUnicode_AsWideChar’
   PyAPI_FUNC(Py_ssize_t) PyUnicode_AsWideChar(
                          ^
  x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fPIC -Ihidapi/hidapi -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0 -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c hidapi/libusb/hid.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hidapi/libusb/hid.o
  hidapi/libusb/hid.c:47:20: fatal error: libusb.h: No such file or directory
  compilation terminated.
  error: command 'x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
  Failed building wheel for hidapi
  Running setup.py clean for hidapi
Failed to build hidapi
Installing collected packages: hidapi, trezor
  Running setup.py install for hidapi ... error
    Complete output from command /usr/bin/python -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-Uj9H6u/hidapi/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-FQaHAF-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile:
    running install
    running build
    running build_ext
    skipping 'hid.c' Cython extension (up-to-date)
    building 'hid' extension
    creating build
    creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7
    creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hidapi
    creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hidapi/libusb
    x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fPIC -Ihidapi/hidapi -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0 -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c hid.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hid.o
    hid.c: In function ‘__pyx_pf_3hid_6device_open’:
    hid.c:1633:45: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘PyUnicodeUCS4_AsWideChar’ from incompatible pointer type [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
           __pyx_v_result = PyUnicode_AsWideChar(__pyx_v_serial_number, __pyx_v_cserial_number, __pyx_v_serial_len);
                                                 ^
    In file included from /usr/include/python2.7/Python.h:85:0,
                     from hid.c:4:
    /usr/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:246:31: note: expected ‘PyUnicodeObject * {aka struct <anonymous> *}’ but argument is of type ‘PyObject * {aka struct _object *}’
     # define PyUnicode_AsWideChar PyUnicodeUCS4_AsWideChar
                                   ^
    /usr/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:591:24: note: in expansion of macro ‘PyUnicode_AsWideChar’
     PyAPI_FUNC(Py_ssize_t) PyUnicode_AsWideChar(
                            ^
    x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fPIC -Ihidapi/hidapi -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0 -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c hidapi/libusb/hid.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/hidapi/libusb/hid.o
    hidapi/libusb/hid.c:47:20: fatal error: libusb.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    error: command 'x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
Command "/usr/bin/python -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-Uj9H6u/hidapi/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-FQaHAF-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-Uj9H6u/hidapi/
[email protected]:~$
If one re-installs the OS, installs all updates, and does this, over and over and over again, eventually, it spontaneously works. But, usually, it gives this false failure message declaring a missing libusb that is, in fact, not missing.

The symptoms I've observed so far are a pin entry screen that looks different and doesn't say "ultimate" when reaching the 8th and 9th chars. It will then proceed to show the goofed up VINs as previously described.

When this build succeeds, for absolutely no reason, then everything works flawlessly.

It's pretty obvious why this build needs to succeed. But, what causes it to lie and fail to build due to falsely reporting a lack of dependency which is in fact present, for no reason at all, and sometimes succeed, under identical circumstances, I cannot figure out.
Code:
fatal error: libusb.h: No such file or directory
This part is simply a lie. I even made a script so I knew I wasn't goofing up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't there's nothing that can ever be done but to re-install the OS and try again. Run same script. Keep doing it over and over until it stops lying, gives up, and works.

Last edited:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Seems to be repeating this: https://github.com/dashpay/electrum-dash/issues/47

I told apt to install libusb-1.0, which it told me was already latest version and did nothing. But, now that doesn't fail anymore. So, apt clearly did do something, and then lied... The file is still in /usr/includes like it always has been, but now, for some unknown reason, the hidapi build can find it.

The very next step fails...

Code:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ludev
Code:
[email protected]:/usr/include$ sudo apt-get install libudev1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
libudev1 is already the newest version (229-4ubuntu4).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
This is stupid...

At least the libusb-1.0 that's already there but isn't problem is solved...

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Not sure which of those was the ticket, but hidapi built. Thanks!

The pin screen looks like the others that work, which none of that stuff was installed but they built...

But, it's still doing the weird "pending account" and the random TXes/VINs it shows are all unconfirmed...

UPDATE: Seems this fixes itself if you just let it sit for half an hour. Balances showing properly now.

Last edited:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
So, yeah. It works repeatably now.

The Electrum page on Atlassian needs to be updated to show all these pre-requisites. Including that which satoshi labs fails to document on their own stuffs...

If someone just downloads it from the dash.org/downloads page, they're going to have no idea the wild ride they have to go on to make it work. Most of it has nothing to do with the electrum-dash client itself (which is pretty damn cool @chaeplin and @flare ). It's getting the Trezor to communicate which is the pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: UdjinM6

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I got Satoshi Labs to add the dependency info to their github.com/trezor/python-trezor page.

The wording is a bit odd, but it's something...

That should help, but I think it still bears a footnote on the electrum-dash atlassian instructions. There's no mention that python-trezor is needed last I checked.

Last edited:
Reactions: tungfa and UdjinM6

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
aiahhh
ok happy to update guides but need better instructions please in which step (and what todo) with
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/tree/master/plugins
?! tx
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Using+Trezor+with+Dash

Edit:
coingun suggested (helped me with an email request):

Press green bottom right then click on the electrum.dash.org server

and ready to send / receive

Edit: electrum dash needs some work
please use https://wallet.trezor.io/#/ for now ! Tx

Last edited:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
@tungfa read this, skip to TL;DR part for "just make it work" without explanation.
Long Version:
ok happy to update guides but need better instructions please in which step (and what todo) with
Exactly...

Nothing a sane person would look for tells you that you need to install github.com/trezor/python-trezor. But, you don't want to clone it and build it. There's an easier way, which is also not mentioned. Even more, part of that build is hidapi, which python-trezor will automatically try to build without telling you, has dependencies which are also not mentioned... So...

Do this first
Code:
sudo apt-get install libudev-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libfox-1.6-dev
sudo apt-get install autotools-dev autoconf automake libtool
You'll also need to make sure this is installed, which it might already be for some people:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-pip
Then at the atlassian page (https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Install) you'll find this, which is not entirely accurate anymore:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-qt4 python-pip python-slowaes
sudo pip install https://www.dash.org/binaries/Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin
electrum
Line 2 and 3 don't work, and I wouldn't expect them to work, either... They also don't need to work or even be there...

You'll notice Line 1 includes python-pip.

You'll also notice that, in spite of updating their page with some more infos, Satoshi Labs still neglects to mention python-pip; the thing that actually does the installing of python-trezor AND hidapi... Not sure why they omitted it from what I told them to add there, but it definitely won't work without it.

Then you can:
Code:
[sudo [-H]] pip install trezor
And then finally:
Code:
cd ~/
wget https://www.dash.org/binaries/Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin
chmod 764 Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin
./Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin
TL;DR:
************************************************************************************************************************
Some of this could probably be put on the same line, but I kept is segregated by source for auditing.
Some of them may actually depend on others, so may be redundant.
Doing it this way makes sure it all happens regardless.
************************************************************************************************************************
So, I condensed this to a simple script:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libudev-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libfox-1.6-dev
sudo apt-get install autotools-dev autoconf automake libtool
sudo apt-get install python-qt4 python-pip python-slowaes
sudo apt-get install python-dev cython git
sudo pip install setuptools
sudo [-H] pip install trezor
cd ~/
wget https://www.dash.org/binaries/Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin
chmod 764 Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin
./Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin
I've tested this and it works every time now.

Towards the end of it, the Electrum installer asks where you want to stick it. I choose option "1" for global user access by sticking it somewhere already in the $PATH variable.

Run electrum-dash by typing this
Code:
electrum-dash
If you chose something that's not "1," as mentioned above, then you must be smart enough to know what you have to do to run it.
NOTE:
Some of this might not be needed. But, it doesn't hurt anything.

MOAR NOTE:
The "pip install trezor" execution may or may not require -H.

EVEN MOAR NOTE:
I realize this project is under construction, but the raw "Use DASH with Trezor" functionality has been up and running for months. More importantly, it's being linked on the official dash.org/downloads page at this very moment, so there needs to be some way for it to work. It's already got a nifty .onion server to connect to, so you don't have to pass an exit node to use it. Cool. But, it doesn't have any MasterNode handling features at the moment. There was an older version that did, but it was incomplete and I'm sure that's the part that's being worked on really hard right now.

If it's going to be live on the official page, there needs to be instructions that actually work. Granted, 80% of it is compensating for seems almost like deliberate sabotage by Satoshi Labs... I told them exactly what to add, and they deliberately left out the most obvious and necessary part... Besides, it's DASH's product that needs to support it, so why not just put the info there?

I get the feeling that the parties involved with the electrum-dash code want to send a message uphill similar to "It's not ready yet, it shouldn't be linked on the main page." But it is linked, some kind of working instructions need to exist... Even if it's something my derpy dumb ass came up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: tungfa

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
Electrum Wallet is pulled for now until fixed version is available :rolleyes:

JFKK

Feb 11, 2017
Hi, this is my first post on Dash Forum, sorry if my question is too noob for the level of the discussion, but im a simple user of the Dash Electrum Wallet for Mac and this are the only one forum talking about around the web.

Im trying to send some dash to Shapeshift and get this message:

error: Your client produced a transaction that is not accepted by the network any more. Please upgrade to Electrum 2.5.1 or newer.

But the version 2.5.1 are not available, the official link on dash.org/wallets/ goes to the old 2.4.1.

I already try to backup the private keys in .csv and .json formats, but not a single wallet are compatible to import : jaxx, exodus, Dash Core.

Simple question: how can get the dash on the old electrum 2.4.1 to a other mac or web wallet to send dash?

Thanks so much!

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
error: Your client produced a transaction that is not accepted by the network any more. Please upgrade to Electrum 2.5.1 or newer.
That's new... I'm still using the 2.4.1
But the version 2.5.1 are not available, the official link on dash.org/wallets/ goes to the old 2.4.1.
I think we may be experiencing some more passive-aggressiveness... Or, perhaps just a lack of communication as to the significance of the changes being made.
how can get the dash on the old electrum 2.4.1 to a other mac or web wallet to send dash?
I dunno. I am unable to replicate this problem on 2.4.1 because my Trezor was emptied out earlier in my mess of problem solving... I'm not keen on sending anything into it if this is happening.

If there is a way to extract the raw privkeys, that might be the easiest way to avoid all these silly formatting barriers. I've been focused on the hardware wallet aspects of electrum-dash, and not an expert on it's other functions.

Maybe the servers are blocking the TXes?

Last edited:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I'm not keen on sending anything into it if this is happening.
I sent over .1 to see what happens. if .1 gets locked up, I won't cry too hard...

electrum-dash is under construction right now... I'm pretty sure the worst case is that you'll have to wait for the new version to be officially released.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I just tried to send back the .1 DASH and it became disconnected from the server and is now just sitting there.

Patience. This stuff is being worked on as we speak.

UPDATE: transaction that was just sitting there came up with
Code:
error: the transaction was rejected by the network rules. (transaction already in blockchain)
A check of a block explorer shows that the TX broadcast did indeed make it to the network and has been included in a block.

As for your 2.5.1 error... My guess is that this was a server message, and the server is being modified as we speak. Stuffs are goofy. It's to be expected.

I just now used it successfully with 2.4.1 with no such error.

I'm using the .onion server. Which are you using?

@JFKK
Try manually selecting a different server and see if you can send out. Try all of them. My hunch is that you got a server reject not a protocol reject, and not all servers are the same. One of them might work. I just used the one behind the .onion, and I'm pretty sure it's just an additional listening point to one of the other servers.

Last edited:

JFKK

Feb 11, 2017
camosoul, thanks so much! with the onion server works flawless! thanks so much again!!!

Reactions: tungfa

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
camosoul, thanks so much! with the onion server works flawless! thanks so much again!!!
Glad your're rolling.

It looks like people with different opinions on the current state of electrum-dash, and control of their own servers, are making their views known in ways other than plain and direct communication. No one is communicating with me other than what you've seen here. I'm just kinda stabbing in the dark with a little experience and intuition. I'm not sure of someone is trying to make a statement in a passive-aggressive way, or something as simple as a language barrier... Basically, don't take my word as official. I'm just figuring shit out for myself, showing my process (so others can throw me a bone when I goof up), and making my discoveries known because nobody else wants to talk about it and people like @JFKK end up stuck in a hard place because of it.

From what I can tell, the basic function of using the Trezor to store DASH is solid. Satoshi Lab's has official support for it. GEtting to it is just very, very poorly documented. The other features (better coin control and MN broadcast) that are missing and being worked on as we speak. I'm pretty sure it's @flare and @chaeplin doing the heavy lifting there.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I know. I talked them into putting it there. It still fails to mention that you have to install pip... lols. I gave up talking to them about it.

Still missing:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-pip
How you gonna use pip to install it if there is no pip? Lols...

I noticed that they added the footnote "on linux you might need to..."

Exactly what other OSes are we going to a console and typing "pip install trezor?"

SMH... At least it's figured out here.

Reactions: UdjinM6

sassyroanic

Feb 15, 2017
it is safe to use Electrum-dash wallet ver. 2.4.1 im new user here which do you prefer to use for newbie like me thx. because i want to transfer my dash coins to my wallet from exmo

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
it is safe to use Electrum-dash wallet ver. 2.4.1
I have a shitload of DASH in mine.

Satoshi Labs has official support via wallet.trezor.io

I use the official site and electrum-dash interchangeably with no issues.

Last edited:

Reuben

Jan 5, 2017
I have been MIA for a while and now that 12.1 is up do we still need to go to Beta-wallet.trezor.io? Or do we use mytrezor.com? Just wondering. I hooked up the Trezor and the Trezor site just sits there trying to load my accounts. Not sure whats up with it????

Maybe

JFKK

Feb 11, 2017
Hi again, im getting the message again with all the servers in the list, my mistake not move all my dash when have the opportunity, any sugestion?