• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

ec2 multiple remote nothing MN(max 5)

Just set up a sixth masternode on a single T2.medium. Seems to be running fine. For capacity planning purposes I think I'm going to cap it at 6 masternodes per T2.medium.

Amazon have given me 11 elastic IPs per region for some reason. I only asked them for one more.

Maybe one day I'll have enough masternodes to try this out on a bigger instance!

Damn nice, 11 IPs? How did you request them?

If you go to elastic IPs and click on the help symbol in the top right hand corner and scroll right to the bottom there is a link to a form to request a limit increase.

I only asked for an increase of one (Ireland) but they replied and said that I had a limit of 11 for that region now. Pretty cool I guess! If I'm lucky enough to own more masternodes in the future I'm going to see if I can keep them all on the same appliance just for fun.

On a separate note, I transferred some money from one bank to another yesterday in order to buy some DRK early today. The payment has been put on hold for fraud checks which means I won't get the money in my account until the banks open for business and I can tell them that I ordered the transfer. Lets hope the price stays stable for a few hours for me eh? I'm only a few DRk short of my next masternode! I thought they'd realise how volatile the markets can be :wink:

On a separate note, I transferred some money from one bank to another yesterday in order to buy some DRK early today. The payment has been put on hold for fraud checks which means I won't get the money in my account until the banks open for business and I can tell them that I ordered the transfer.

I had this with one of my banks once (a phone call cleared that up), and the second time they even would refuse to transfer the money at all and told me that they'll never ever will again (to that bank). Fuckers...

Thankfully I'm a customer of several banks, the second one didn't complain.
Never did so far :)

chaeplin I want to have seven masternodes on this instance but you can only have 6 private IPs per network interface! If you create a new network interface after an instance is running, then linux is not configured to use it. Any tips?

I found this useful but I could not get it to work. http://work.allaboutken.com/node/21

Essentially, I need a way to enable and configure eth1

chaeplin I want to have seven masternodes on this instance but you can only have 6 private IPs per network interface! If you create a new network interface after an instance is running, then linux is not configured to use it. Any tips?

I found this useful but I could not get it to work. http://work.allaboutken.com/node/21

Essentially, I need a way to enable and configure eth1

I don't think secondary interface is good choice.
Anyway you can use ifconfig to set up eth1.

I suggest you to use "Network Interfaces" in EC2 Management Console to add more private IPs.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using-eni.html
There is "Manage Private IP Address" in Action menu.
Add more private IP and associate it to Elastic IP.

Thanks chaeplin.

I agree that secondary interface isn't ideal. There is a fault with my AWS account that I'm waiting for Amazon to fix which means that I can't access new instances that I create so I thought I'd find a work around in my spare time.

If you add a new network interface and assign an elastic IP and enable it within Ubuntu, I think you need to set up routes to make it work. No matter what I tried, after creating new interface and then nm02 darkcoind > private IP > Public IP > I could not get nm07 to talk to the outside world through eth1. In fact, after configuring rc.local and iptables, nm07 account had no public IP.

I'm an amateur and I have met my match. When Amazon solve my mysterious problem (new instances don't work with their key pairs!) I'll start an new instance and stick to six max per T2.medium.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

Yup...$1.34 per day to run 5 masternodes on a t2.medium.

I've got the some of the setup scripted now. Maybe I'll start a masternode share service :)

Have you actually received a monthly invoice yet for the total cost? I'm seriously interested in moving multiple micros to a single instance if possible. My last invoice was around $130.00 if I remember correctly.

Propulsion

My bill for this month is going to be all over the place because I've got instances running on testnet, NOMP instances etc etc but I can confirm the following:

My T2.medium is costing $1.34 per day with 6 masternodes running on it.
My masternode instance is the only instance in that region so if I pro rata up the data transfer fees for that region it comes to $7.50.

My estimate is that the total cost will be $50+tax based on a 31 day month. I will clarify this further when I've had a chance to go through my bills in more detail at the end of the month.

Now, if only somebody could help me find a way to enable a second network interface and get a 7th node on there for me :)

M3.large seems a bit jump in price to host 7 to 10 masternodes! Looking at $100pm on that. No other EC2 instance within a reasonable price range will allow more than 6 ips per interface.

I just love the idea of having one instance with them all on...it works so well. I might have to look elsewhere other than AWS unless somebody can help me with the linux challenge of enabling eth1 in unbuntu and getting it working properly

Alright, seems the way to do it then would be to use a T2.medium. Lol, yeah it would be nice to have more than six IP's....

I guess I'll go ahead and kill my micros and put them all on one instance. Thanks stonehedge.

I'm considering paying a bounty to anybody who can help me set up the following on a T2.medium

You can only bind six private IPs to each network interface with T2.medium. Even if eth1 has an EIP, inbound traffic gets routed to eth0 and dropped by default. I can't think of a way to achieve this without asymmetric routing which is NOT going to be good for masternodes :wink:

This is how I'd want it to work.
¦ User Proc ¦
nm01 darkcoind <-> eth0 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm02 darkcoind <-> eth0 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm03 darkcoind <-> eth0 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm04 darkcoind <-> eth0 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm05 darkcoind <-> eth0 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm06 darkcoind <-> eth0 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
--------------------------------------------------------------
nm07 darkcoind <-> eth1 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm08 darkcoind <-> eth1 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm09 darkcoind <-> eth1 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm10 darkcoind <-> eth1 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP
nm11 darkcoind <-> eth1 <-> PrivIP <-> EIP

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you actually received a monthly invoice yet for the total cost? I'm seriously interested in moving multiple micros to a single instance if possible. My last invoice was around $130.00 if I remember correctly.
7 x EC2 T1 micro this month
luglio $117.85
agosto $131.94
septembre $132.99

Need to test it at least could lower the costs....

7 x EC2 T1 micro this month
luglio $117.85
agosto $131.94
septembre $132.99

Need to test it at least could lower the costs....

That's roughly the same price point as mine. Non-spot instances too.

Now we just need to find someone to report their monthly cost figures for a single medium instance running 5 daemons to compare.

I can't easily quote monthly figures because I have many instances doing many different things in my AWS account.

What I can say is that last month, the most that I was charged for a T2.medium with 6 masternodes was $1.58 per day. My monthly bandwidth fee was $7 (but that includes all manner of instances including several C3.large)

Take things one step further. Here is what the EC2 price calculator says for one fully utilised T2.medium with 5 EIP (you can run six masternodes with 5 EIP if you launch new instance), 10GB intra region traffic, 1 30GB SSD and 100GB internet traffic.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 15.46.18.png

Back