• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DRK p2pool setup problem

PatMan

Hi guys,

Trying to setup a darkcoin p2pool node following the instructions on the dstorm/p2pool-drk git page.

When I execute the command "python setup.py install" from within the /xcoin-hash folder I get "error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xcoin_hash.so'" - tried running the command with sudo but get the same result. I run a few p2pool nodes for various coins, so I know it's not a dependency issue.....

Any ideas what the problem is?

Peace

Hi Darkwing,

Yeah, I was thinking of messaging one of those members about it, but thought I'd see if anyone had an idea first.....I'm sure it's something simple.....

Posted on bitcointalk too, but the thread there is all buy/sell/FUD..........not much tech I'm afraid lol

Hi Darkwing,

Yeah, I was thinking of messaging one of those members about it, but thought I'd see if anyone had an idea first.....I'm sure it's something simple.....

Posted on bitcointalk too, but the thread there is all buy/sell/FUD..........not much tech I'm afraid lol

Yeah it's mayhem in there at the moment.. I just pinged them because I know they'd immediately have the answer.

My only guess would be try

sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xcoin_hash.so

and then run it

Would running that command have any affect on the p2pool nodes already running do you think? Don't fancy shutting my nodes down to run it only to find it didn't work......

Thanks for the input darkwing, greatly appreciated.....

Edit: I guess it shouldn't, no other node is using it.......

Success! Don't ask me how I done it though......

Next problem: according to the guide I now have run "python setup.py install" from within the darkcoin-subsidy-python folder - but where is that folder located? The guide simply says to cd into the darkcoin-subsidy-python folder, but if I execute the command it says "-bash: cd: darkcoin-subsidy-python: No such file or directory"

Bit vague this guide.........

Nope. The folder "darkcoin-subsidy-python" simply doesn't exist anywhere. Guess I've done something wrong, but it would be nice if the guide actually told you where to look/find it. I'll message Chaeplin - see if he can shine some light on the matter.......

Edit: Messaged Chaeplin, hope to hear from him soon.......

Last edited by a moderator:
PatMan use these instructions. It is for the old version, but it explains how to install the subsidy version. Note, the github location changed for that as well to https://darkcoinproject/ you'll see the sub function there.

I'm curious why you were receiving a permission denied error though. How did you resolve that?

OK, now my head is spinning......two sets of instructions from two different git repos, both of which are out of date & neither one applies to the current software which has been moved where?

I think we need to clear a few things up here, if someone could help clarify a few things for me - that would be great:

1) What is the correct repo to clone darkwallet from?
a) What is the latest version?
2) What is the correct repo to clone p2pool-drk from?
3) What is the correct repo to clone SUBSIDY_FUNC from? (which was not even mentioned in the first guide)
4) Is there an up-to-date guide on building the latest p2pool-drk including darkcoin-subsidy-python? (If it's needed/exists)
a) If so, where is it?
5) I'm looking at the darkcoinproject repo but can see no mention of any sub function there - is this the wrong repo?
a) If so, what is the right one?

I've spent hours on this, scanning info from bitcointalk & darkcointalk trying to find out where, what & how - but there is so much conflicting information it's daft......

HEEEELP!!!!

All this info should be easily available from a central location, all old/outdated/no longer relevant info should be taken offline so that new darkcoin wannabe's like me can get started easily, quickly & with the latest software.........

Regarding the permission denied error, as far as I can tell, I was installing via ssh when it happened & after sudo failed I tried it via Teamviewer, which also gave me the same error - so I went into my server room and tried it locally with sudo & voilla!! I did notice that the folder /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages was owned by root, so sudo would be required - but this wasn't mentioned in the outdated guide that I was going by.......

Sorry if I sound miffed, but it shouldn't be so hard, and the conflicting info is driving me a little insane........

Peace :what:

OK, now my head is spinning......two sets of instructions from two different git repos, both of which are out of date & neither one applies to the current software which has been moved where?

I think we need to clear a few things up here, if someone could help clarify a few things for me - that would be great:

1) What is the correct repo to clone darkwallet from?
2) What is the correct repo to clone p2pool-drk from?
3) What is the correct repo to clone SUBSIDY_FUNC from? (which was not even mentioned in the first guide)
4) Is there an up-to-date guide on building the latest p2pool-drk including darkcoin-subsidy-python? (If it's needed/exists)
a) If so, where is it?
5) I'm looking at the darkcoinproject repo but can see no mention of any sub function there - is this the wrong repo?
a) If so, what is the right one?

I've spent hours on this, scanning info from bitcointalk & darkcointalk trying to find out where, what & how - but there is so much conflicting information it's daft......

HEEEELP!!!!

All this info should be easily available from a central location, all old/outdated/no longer relevant info should be taken offline so that new darkcoin wannabe's like me can get started easily, quickly & with the latest software.........

Regarding the permission denied error, as far as I can tell, I was installing via ssh when it happened & after sudo failed I tried it via Teamviewer, which also gave me the same error - so I went into my server room and tried it locally with sudo & voilla!! I did notice that the folder /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages was owned by root, so sudo would be required - but this wasn't mentioned in the outdated guide that I was going by.......

Sorry if I sound miffed, but it shouldn't be so hard, and the conflicting info is driving me a little insane........

Peace :what:

Patman, I know another set of instructions is not what you wanted... But these steps have never failed me!

Code:
git clone https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin
git clone https://github.com/darkcoinproject/xcoin-hash.git
git clone https://bitbucket.org/dstorm/p2pool-drk.git
cd darkcoin/src
#this will take a while:
make -f makefile.unix
#needs privileges:
sudo cp darkcoind /usr/local/bin
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/darkcoind
#run darkcoind:
darkcoind
#it will give you an rpc user name and password, copy those and put them in file ~/.darkcoin/darkcoin.conf, this will allow p2pool and other stuff to communicate with the running darkcoind daemon:
#run it again, after adding the rpc credentials:
darkcoind --daemon
#you can follow the darkcoin debug log while it downloads blocks (press ctrl+c to exit this):
tail -f ~/.darkcoin/debug.log
#build and install xcoin-hash:
cd ../../xcoin-hash
python setup.py build
#needs privileges:
sudo python setup.py install
#build and install the subsidy function:
cd ../p2pool-drk/darkcoin-subsidy-python/
python setup.py build
#needs privileges:
sudo python setup.py install
#build the p2pool software:
cd ../
make clean
make

The GIT locations have changed so you will need to update accordingly!

Good Luck!

Success! Don't ask me how I done it though......

Next problem: according to the guide I now have run "python setup.py install" from within the darkcoin-subsidy-python folder - but where is that folder located? The guide simply says to cd into the darkcoin-subsidy-python folder, but if I execute the command it says "-bash: cd: darkcoin-subsidy-python: No such file or directory"

Bit vague this guide.........
Hi,

yes the guide needs some updates.
You can find the subsidy here: https://github.com/chaeplin/SUBSIDY_FUNC

Hope that works now.
--toe

@ ourlink: Thanks for the extra instructions - I think :grin:

I notice there's no mention of git cloning subsidy_func in them, does this mean that it's not needed? If it is, can you point me to an up to date guide on installing it? Also, you mention that the GIT locations have changed - any idea what to? So far I've now got 3 different ones.......

@ vertoe: Thanks for that link - I notice in the readme that it's for 12.04 - will it still work on 14.04 do you know? Or is there an updated one for 14.04?

Thanks for the answers/help guys/gals. it's greatly appreciated.........what a nightmare this is.

@ ourlink: Thanks for the extra instructions - I think :grin:

I notice there's no mention of git cloning subsidy_func in them, does this mean that it's not needed? If it is, can you point me to an up to date guide on installing it? Also, you mention that the GIT locations have changed - any idea what to? So far I've now got 3 different ones.......

subsidy_func is included in the installation of dstorm's p2pool-drk git.

4D95gyD.png

I just checked all of the GIT links and they are still valid.

YAAAAAAAY!!!

Finally. I done it. Unbelievable. It's a miracle. Praise the cyber lords.

Ourlink - thank you for posting the correct build instructions & the info about darkcoin-subsidy - life saver. Out of all the p2pool nodes I've built, this was the biggest pain in the face of them all to do - not because it was hard, because it wasn't, but because I was using outdated &/or incorrect build instructions & links. Once I had the correct repos & build instructions, everything went smoothly - thank you everyone who tried to help, especially you ourlink.

I'm numb from brain ache :grin::grin:

YAAAAAAAY!!!

Finally. I done it. Unbelievable. It's a miracle. Praise the cyber lords.

Ourlink - thank you for posting the correct build instructions & the info about darkcoin-subsidy - life saver. Out of all the p2pool nodes I've built, this was the biggest pain in the face of them all to do - not because it was hard, because it wasn't, but because I was using outdated &/or incorrect build instructions & links. Once I had the correct repos & build instructions, everything went smoothly - thank you everyone who tried to help, especially you ourlink.

I'm numb from brain ache :grin::grin:

Awesome!
Glad to be of some assistance.... Welcome to the Darkside!:smile:

Back