• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Docs about PoSe-ban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

code4food

Hello!

Several of my masternodes have suffered PoSe-ban.

dash-cli masternode status
"state": "POSE_BANNED",
"status": "Masternode was PoSe banned"
...​

However I can't find any documentation regarding:
  • How can I prevent a PoSe-ban? What must I look for?
  • Once a PoSe-ban is given, how to revive a masternode?
Where am I supposed to find such answers?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
there are a number of points in the explanation that are not clear. For example:

* Ensure that the BLS private key on the masternode is unique on the network and not shared with any other masternodes

How would you do that? I suppose it is not (statistically) but how can I ensure it?

* Ensure that the BLS private key on the masternode corresponds to the BLS public key registered on the blockchain in the ProRegTx or ProUpRegTx

Again, this is not clear. How should we do it? Please try to explain it without expecting the reader to know all the passages YOU know. I have set up a masternode following the automatic instructions. And using the automatic installation, and now it has failed. It was already gathering PoSe Penalty, so I realised I needed tomove from version 13 to version 14. This seemed to work and the PoSe Penalty started going down. And then it rised again for no apparent reason.

I am starting to suspect there is something wrong in the automatic installation. I did all this at version 13 so the masternode should already be deterministic.

• Ensure you are running the latest version of Dash

YES
  • Ensure your masternode has sufficient memory, swap, processing power and hard drive space

I suppose so, it says 5%, but some directions might be good.
  • Ensure you are fully synced to the correct blockheight, and that you are on the correct chain and not forked off

It is.
  • Ensure that a BLS private key is specified using the masternodeblsprivkey option in the masternode’s dash.conf file

Ha! There is a key there. How would I know now if it is the correct one?
  • Ensure that the BLS private key on the masternode is unique on the network and not shared with any other masternodes

And how would we do this?
  • Ensure that the BLS private key on the masternode corresponds to the BLS public key registered on the blockchain in the ProRegTx or ProUpRegTx

Again, how do we do it?
  • Ensure that the externalip (and port if using testnet) are specified correctly and not blocked by a firewall or port forwarding service

Sure.
  • Ensure that Sentinel is installed, updated, not exiting with an error and is entered in your crontab to run every 1-2 minutes

Again, please, write specific lines. You cannot have a service where instructions are given line by line at some point, and then if it breaks, you just give generic instructions. I give you an example, "is installed, updated, not exiting with an error and is entered in your crontab to run every 1-2 minutes" each of those is a thing that needs to be checked. If you can set up a masternode without knowing how to check a crontab file. You need to give instructions how to check it for people who do not know it. In any case mine says

* * * * * pidof dashd || ~/.dashcore/dashd
    * * * * * cd /home/jonh/.dashcore/sentinel && venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py 2>&1 >> sentinel-cron.log

which looks good, I suppose.

Sorry, but after reading your instructions my masternode is still stuck.

I appreciate you would like more detail, but many of these things are already described in other places. There is a functioning search box in the documentation which can help you find what you need. A certain economy of language and avoiding repetition is necessary to avoid high translation costs - each word will be translated into 5+ other languages, with all the costs and effort that entails. For this reason, it makes no sense to translate easily googleable things like how cron works. This documentation should be specific to Dash, not general documentation of Linux. Also, if we start writing instructions specific to Ubuntu Linux, then all the Fedora people start asking for specific instructions, plus specific keystrokes for Emacs or Vim instead of nano.... You get the picture ;)

Now, your questions:
Ensure your masternode has sufficient memory, swap, processing power and hard drive space

I suppose so, it says 5%, but some directions might be good.
See here: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/understanding.html#masternode-requirements

• Ensure that a BLS private key is specified using the masternodeblsprivkey option in the masternode’s dash.conf file

Ha! There is a key there. How would I know now if it is the correct one?
  • Ensure that the BLS private key on the masternode is unique on the network and not shared with any other masternodes

And how would we do this?
  • Ensure that the BLS private key on the masternode corresponds to the BLS public key registered on the blockchain in the ProRegTx or ProUpRegTx

Again, how do we do it?
This all depends on how you registered your masternode in the first place. Hardware wallet or Dash Core? You can examine the content of your protx on the blockchain using the masternodes tab in Dash Core or using https://www.dashninja.pl/ - If you don't know your protx txid, try searching using the IP address instead. When you generated your BLS keys, you were given a private and a public key. The public key should appear on the blockchain in the protx, the private key should be in dash.conf on the masternode. If you lost your BLS key, you can generate a ProUpRegTx using the owner key to specify a new BLS operator key. If you lost the owner key as well, you need to start from scratch with the initial ProRegTx and sign a message with your collateral key again.

See here: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/maintenance.html#updating-masternode-information

I know it is a lot of new stuff, but understanding these concepts is necessary if you want to maintain your own masternode. You can join us on Discord where many masternode owners are helping each other through these steps, find a third party hosting provider for $5 per month, or try to read this documentation again:

https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/setup.html
https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/understanding.html
https://github.com/dashpay/dips/blob/master/dip-0003.md

Ensure that Sentinel is installed, updated, not exiting with an error and is entered in your crontab to run every 1-2 minutes

Again, please, write specific lines.
You are writing your sentinel output to sentinel-cron.log - did you check that file? Otherwise run it manually like this:

cd ~/.dashcore/sentinel
venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py

Good luck! Hope to see you on Discord soon...

I appreciate you would like more detail, but many of these things are already described in other places. There is a functioning search box in the documentation which can help you find what you need. A certain economy of language and avoiding repetition is necessary to avoid high translation costs - each word will be translated into 5+ other languages, with all the costs and effort that entails.

Thanks. Since my posts are not translated in any language, I shall write in details my passages, just in case they help someone.

For this reason, it makes no sense to translate easily googleable things like how cron works. This documentation should be specific to Dash, not general documentation of Linux. Also, if we start writing instructions specific to Ubuntu Linux, then all the Fedora people start asking for specific instructions, plus specific keystrokes for Emacs or Vim instead of nano.... You get the picture ;)

no, not Vim users. ;-)

Now, your questions:

See here:... [LINK CENSORED BECAUSE I AM A NEW USER AND NOT ALLOWED]

Ok, I had the minimum requirements. I just upgraded. Still I doubt that was the problem, so I will go on.

This all depends on how you registered your masternode in the first place. Hardware wallet or Dash Core? You can examine the content of your protx on the blockchain using the masternodes tab in Dash Core or using dashninja -If you don't know your protx txid, try searching using the IP address instead.

Ok, so I am keeping my Dash in a Ledger Hardware wallet. The VPS is on Vult, as suggested. And I installed it all following the setup instructions (yours?) using the DashMasternodeTool.

So I do not have the "Tab in DashCore". So I went on dashninja, and wrote my IP on the searchbox, but my masternode does not appear. Note that I have done this other times in the past, and it always appeared. So something changed. Maybe because now my masternode has fallen off some list. Not that the information is still appearing on the DashMasternodeTool.

Is the fact that it is not appearing on dashninja, but it is appearing on the dashmatsternodetool a sign that I should start again from scratch? Or a sign that I should just use the data from the dash masternode tool?

So here is one place where I am stuck.

I shall try to join Discord. But I hope you appreciate how asymmetric knowledge is.

Thanks.

For the records, Discord is not working for me. I have tried to register, but the email did not appear on my gmail. I tried several times, even changing the email address. And of course I also checked the spam messages.
I looked online and apparently I am not the first person who had problems with emails from Discord.

Day 2 of Masternode being stuck.

Hi @john smithson sorry that it hasn't worked out yet. Dash Core is usually not necessary, since searching Dash Ninja works for most people. You could also try searching for your protx https://blockchair.com/dash but at this point it might just be easiest to DM me your protx or IP address and I will look for the information in my copy of Dash Core.

Still you seem to be having an extraordinary run of bad luck. A couple more options if you decide not to revive the existing masternode and generate new keys is to follow the guide again (yes, I wrote this) from https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/setup.html#register-your-masternode or alternatively find a hosting service to take care of all this for you. I can strongly recommend https://www.allnodes.com/

Hi @strophy thank you very much for your offer to help me. I sent you a PM with the info you asked for.

Regarding Discord I discovered that a proxy through which the email passes through flagged them as spam. So it was sent into a spam folder, but not one under my control.

Hi @strophy thank you very much for your offer to help me. I sent you a PM with the info you asked for.

Regarding Discord I discovered that a proxy through which the email passes through flagged them as spam. So it was sent into a spam folder, but not one under my control.

Make sure Sentinel is also updated to latest version, by typing following commands :

cd .dashcore
cd sentinel
git pull

By the way, if I wanted to reinstall the masternode, do I have to go back from moving the 1000 DASH, or I can just
Make sure Sentinel is also updated to latest version, by typing following commands :

cd .dashcore
cd sentinel
git pull

thanks. It said:

~/.dashcore/sentinel$ git pull
Already up to date.

Regards.

Hi @john smithson you do not need to move the 1000 DASH to start again, you can just create a new ProRegTx which should invalidate the old one. I'm @strophy#2696 on Discord, but please use the public #masternodes help channel to avoid scammers.

After @strophy followed me, I was able to find the error.

Basically the line
masternode=1
was commented. In the set up instructions in the first part it says to keep i commented "for now". But then later it says to uncomment it, and that part I missed.

Very grateful for the personalised help. And I am giving an explanation of what was wrong so this can help other people.

Hi @strophy! You have helped me a number of times by your responses to other members. I have had a successful masternode for quite some time.
I lost internet connection recently and got PoSe banned. Now the internet connection is back. My server is fully intact with plenty of resources. I know all my settings are correct because nothing has changed.

My question is: How far back in the process do I need to go to get it started again?

I tried running the final command "protx register_submit <old tx> <old sig>" that was run when I originally registered the masternode. It failed. Output said:
bad-protx-dup-key (code 18) (code -1)

So, I went back to the first step and did the signing... etc.
Same fail.
I am thinking that I need to create a new BLS pair to make this work again. Can you confirm that I am on the right path?
Thank you!!

Last edited:
I assume another person will need this information eventually, so I am recording my steps here.

Essentially, the PoSe system worked prefectly. My masternode failed to provide service due to loss of internet. So being banned was the correct result. I was unaware all of this was happening and did not find out until the process was 100% banned.

In my previous post... I had tested using the same exact protx commands with the same tx hashes and sig... etc as the first time I "registered" my masternode. This failed as stated above. bad-protx-dup-key (code 18) (code -1)

I returned to the start of the process and created new BLS keys. Again it failed. bad-protx-dup-key (code 18) (code -1)

I am guessing that the "dup-key" error indicates a key was already used and cannot be used again. Somehow even though I am banned, it is not releasing the address to be registered again.

I did not move the 1000 dash to a new address. Also, I used the same owner, payout, and voting addresses as I had used previously.

At this point, I am out of ideas other than moving the 1000 to a new address and starting the whole process again. I will wait a day for suggestions. Thanks!

Your MN is already registered with the keys you used in the first time so you can't reuse the same keys as it does not work this way.
It changed the status from active to pose_ban.
To bring it back to alive you need to do this:
1 - put the old blsprivkey on dash.conf on remote as it was previously.
2 - use the "protx update_service" command and put your protxhash IP:port blsprivkey "" feeSourceAddress.
You have all explained here: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/maintenance.html#proupservtx
Let us know once all worked fine ;)
Cheers

Thank you @splawik21
Yes it did work. I had read the maintenance page from top to bottom and did not see this as the answer. Now it makes sense... the process was the same as if I had moved servers to a new IP address. Using the "protx update_service" I was able to bring the masternode into good standing. I did not need to change any addresses, nor move Dash. I was able to use the original hashes.

One thing to note (for others):

On the Maintenance page it says:
proTxHash: The hash of the initial ProRegTx
(I mistakenly thought this meant the original "tx".) The "proTxHash" is the 64 character hash that follows the final step of original "register" process. When you do the update command, you will get a new 64 hash. Save it! You will need it if you need to update again.

Finally, my PoSe score came back as 0, when it was 5000+ with the ban. That seems odd (unfair), since other times I have had my PoSe score take days to work its way back down to 0. Is this a shortcut to get paid sooner?

Thanks again... I hope this post helps others who lose service on a correctly set up Masternode and need to restore a good status.

Sending a ProUpServTx will reset your PoSe score, but also resets your position in the queue, you will go to the back of the line. So you cannot use this as a shortcut to get paid sooner ;)

I wanted to wrap up my earlier post. @strophy was exactly correct.
- My PoSe score was reset to zero but my span between payments was 14 days. This MN had arrived at 100% banned.
- This is in contrast to another case where my PoSe score rose above 2000, but I fixed the problem before it went higher. It slowly worked its way down. I saw no delay in payment... it arrived exactly on time. It is is important to note that I received the payment even though my score was still above 0.

I hope my post is helpful to the next person. Thanks again for the advice and best wishes to all!

Thanks for sharing.

I could not find any reason that caused the problem. But, after reissuing update_service command, the problem disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back