• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - Oct 19, 2015

eduffield

Core Developer
Hello Everyone!

Now that we’re all back from the Netherlands, I wanted to reach out to the community and update everyone about the status of the project and what we’re currently working on.

I’m really happy with everything going on in the project, our current team and the projects capabilities for growth over the next few years. Many unexpected things came out of our trip to the netherlands, including a sense that we’re really working on something really special. It’s amazing to see how well our team gets along and how all of our various skills fit together. Beyond team building, the Netherlands trip was also fantastic to see what the uninitiated think about Dash. We had really long conversations with many people and our technology and offerings, they are very interesting to everyone we came into contact with. In fact, we ran into some people at a cafe talking about Masternodes a few days after the event! So I couldn’t be more happy with the decentralized governance and budgeting system for promoting Dash, it’s been quite a bit more effective than I originally thought it would be (and I thought it was going to be highly effective, it’s insanely effective in reality).

What about Dash Evolution?

The reason we’re being quiet about the capabilities of Dash Evolution is we want to buy some time to work on it privately. By the time everyone realizes what we’re making, we’ll be so far along this path, that no group will be able to implement it fast enough to launch this system before us. Dash Evolution includes many components of what we believe is the perfect platform for growing a new decentralized economy, built around pure peer-to-peer commerce.

What do we know about Evolution so far?

o2kYpl73aSXr8U6T_pnaomOpzolNCPqUwI51nIdLIWLbV8YK-EnWwWFj0CqC8PyoR-pXj3bRV-Z5BGYl0m54NyZrtkhBvo6ByVBugoQWObW8MZKBqNgMKRNKbdKRhO4VHh99TbOf

Evolution is a completely different way of thinking about cryptographic currency. To start, we’ve figured out how to implement an API in such a way that it’s both completely secure and decentralized. This will allow us to use 5-20 DASH random sub-quorum servers per request, instead of all of them as is the norm with the rest of the cryptographic currencies (each node must process each request individually). That alone gives us a large leap in technological abilities that none of our competitors have, but combined with our decentralized storage mechanism we can enable large scale support of user-based storage. This means our users data will live on the network and they can jump from their android Dash wallet, to a browser-based Dash wallet without losing information about their transaction histories, friends or private messages.

Technical details of the system are quite impressive alone, which is what we revealed at Bitcoin Wednesday in Amsterdam. However, that’s not really what is going to sell the system. We’re going to compete by making a new type of cryptographic currency that is user-focused.

All components of cryptographic currency are being rethought.This is intended to be a platform that the rest of the world can use without being scared away by all of the complicated cryptography happening behind the scenes. When a transaction comes into your wallet, it will say “Evan sent you 41DASH for Samsung 2005 TV”, not “41DASH from XrWaFt4YY3AevBoZWkmrQEYSAYwiUFodtB”. The later scares away a large percentage of the population, because it looks complex and feels unsafe.

If we told everyone within the community every detail, we would steal our own momentum, so we’re going to show a proof of concept of this system in action at Bitcoin Miami. This is quite exciting because this is one of the largest most influential conferences within the Bitcoin ecosystem and we hope to ignite a lot of interest.

DAPI will also include a vastly improved version of masternode blinding. All requests through the system can be blinded, so that they are redirected through the system to a masternode that doesn’t have any direct contact with the end user. This is the reason we will not be building masternode-blinding into the v12 client.

Budget Reporting

The budget system has been invaluable for our outreach programs into the larger community. Now that we’re back from the Netherlands we plan to develop some reporting standards to keep the community informed about what money is being spent on within the project. We’ve already shared some detailed internal reports with high level core-team members, these team members (Flare & UdjinM6) can assure the community that a great deal of care is being taken when dealing with these funds and we’re using the communities money to the best of our ability.

We have quite a backlog from being in the Netherlands, so expect some reports about the Sept budget within a week. The Oct report will be presented the first week of Nov and the same going forward. We were 2 full weeks traveling in Europe so please excuse the delay in the first report.

Timeline and Milestones

The fact of the matter is that the outside overall community doesn’t have much of an understanding of the Dash project in it’s present state. Our website and pr strategy up to this point has been mostly to cater to those already in the community. We’re going to retarget our strategy and build a website and pr strategy that is targeted at those outside of the community. Many of us on the team have experience building companies and marketing to new users, we’re going to utilize this experience over the next few years to bring many new users into our space.

Even without Evolution, we would have done fantastic over the next few years due to Darksend, InstantX, Decentralized Governance and Budgeting and our Virtual Corporation. So we believe it’s key to get this information about what the Dash project currently is, out in the open and well understood. This means, we actually have a nice window to develop Dash Evolution and we’re not in a hurry to launch it. In fact, it’s to our benefit to make sure that Dash Evolution is absolutely perfect when we launch.

Milestones

Public Awareness - Phase I - October 1st, 2015

Utilize the budget system to spread information about the Dash project all over the world. Hit as many conferences as possible, educate people if possible to understand the more technical aspects of Dash so they can explain it to others.

Start designing a website and portal for all Dash related information to live.

Dash Evolution Development Begins - October 15th, 2015

I will begin work on the new Dash Evolution framework. This consists of the basic architecture, classes and simply functionality that runs the system.

New Website - January 8th, 2016

The new website will be designed to be the place to go to keep up with Dash, get initiated with our project originally and keep up to date about everything happening in the network as well. It will also be designed with converting new users into our ecosystem in mind.

Dash Evolution Phase II - November 7th, 2015

Private internal development will begin on the Dash Evolution framework.

Dash Evolution Demonstration / Phase III - January 26th, 2016

We will demonstrate what our new technology is about, how it works and why it’s a huge leap ahead of anything else that exists presently.

Marketing & Sales Funnels - February 1st, 2016

We’re working with some companies to enhance our new-user experience to improve the way they flow through the system to get into our ecosystem. By February the community should start seeing how all of this works for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Evan. I think everyone was anxiously looking forward to a formal update after Amsterdam. Exciting times ahead!

eduffield Any chance you can give us all an update on the ongoing opposition pending trademark with Karmic? I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting closure and I think an update after six months is warranted even if it's still pending.

NIce! Two things I REALLY like about this:

"This means our users data will live on the network and they can jump from their android Dash wallet, to a browser-based Dash wallet without losing information about their transaction histories, friends or private messages."

"Marketing & Sales Funnels - February 1st, 2015"

Man I really hope it happens and I can see this live.

Pablo.

I can already hear people screaming about centralized: >>>>>> Start designing a website and portal for all Dash related information to live.
Devils advocate.....

eduffield Any chance you can give us all an update on the ongoing opposition pending trademark with Karmic? I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting closure and I think an update after six months is warranted even if it's still pending.

We are happy with the progress that is being made, more details will come out about it soon. We can't discuss it publicly by request of the lawyers until everything is finalized.

I can already hear people screaming about centralized: >>>>>> Start designing a website and portal for all Dash related information to live.
Devils advocate.....

That part has nothing to do with the Dash protocol, it refers to the revamp of our informational website to be designed for conversion of new users, with all the relevant information, a blog section, etc. Nothing to do with the solution in case that was not clear.

That part has nothing to do with the Dash protocol, it refers to the revamp of our informational website to be designed for conversion of new users, with all the relevant information, a blog section, etc. Nothing to do with the solution in case that was not clear.

I know this :p

"This means our users data will live on the network and they can jump from their android Dash wallet, to a browser-based Dash wallet without losing information about their transaction histories, friends or private messages."

Wow, this alone makes it so much more usable to the average Joe or Josephine!

"DAPI will also include a vastly improved version of masternode blinding. All requests through the system can be blinded, so that they are redirected through the system to a masternode that doesn’t have any direct contact with the end user."

If this can work, we really should provide a TOR-like service. With incentives, there should be no reason why we can't run MNs that are powerful enough to provide streaming, unlike TOR.

Finally, I think you mean February 1, 2016

Sounds good, if I may make some comments about the website:

Whenever I go to one of these websites, I find it hard to get the info I want. General information should be easy to find. It should also read easily for the uninitiated. Such as a brief and engaging description of what Dash is, then links to each specialization: Simplified:

Home Page: Dash, a world wide currency with all the properties of traditional cash, only digital.

Then something like the following, each point has it's own link:

1. Privacy and fungibility (we understand privacy, 98% of the English speaking population have no idea what fungible is, it's important, but takes second seat to it's partner, privacy)
2. Instant (the link will be a page that explains how this works)
3. etc...

7. Decentralized Autonomous Corporation: I'd actually leave that out and say "Clear non-corruptable Governance" Because everyone wants to stop corruption and Governance sounds like Government. Yah, I'm trying to catch the average person's eye. Remember the bell curve?

The point I'm trying to make, is make the first page EASY to follow and catch the average person's interest.

The linked page can give LIGHT explanations, with links to final technical explanations.

At the end, the final depth to learn even more, would be to go to the source.

NONE of the crypto currency websites work this way. They give their mumbo jumbo spiel that nobody but technos can understand, if they can understand, or it's all a sales pitch that rings hollow. If it's broken down this way, people can go as deep into the information they're interested in as they want and at the speed they want. Anyway, I hope you give this some consideration. It's not flashy, but usable, which is, IMHO, harder to achieve and better to use.

Finally, what does DAPI stand for? I can infer the use from the sentence but I have never heard of this acronym (I hate acronyms!) and can't find it on a Google search. Thanks for help anyone :)

Oh fudge, is that "Dash API, or Applications Programming Interface?" Ugh, I HATE Acronyms! LOL Humm if that's the case I'm curious how an API can deliver blinding? Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, what does DAPI stand for? I can infer the use from the sentence but I have never heard of this acronym (I hate acronyms!) and can't find it on a Google search. Thanks for help anyone :)

Oh fudge, is that "Dash API, or Applications Programming Interface?" Ugh, I HATE Acronyms! LOL Humm if that's the case I'm curious how an API can deliver blinding? Interesting.
I don't know for certain, but I think it stands for Decentralised Application Program Interface (D-API)

If we told everyone within the community every detail, we would steal our own momentum, so we’re going to show a proof of concept of this system in action at Bitcoin Miami. This is quite exciting because this is one of the largest most influential conferences within the Bitcoin ecosystem and we hope to ignite a lot of interest.

Dash Evolution Demonstration / Phase III - January 26th, 2016

We will demonstrate what our new technology is about, how it works and why it’s a huge leap ahead of anything else that exists presently.

Is the Evolution demonstration going to be the PoC at Bitcoin Miami? Or something different? I ask as the conference is scheduled for Jan. 21 - Jan. 22.

There are a lot of great ideas coming out of Dash. Congratulations.

The way I read it is aliases/account labels is no big deal. Most any good dev should be able to add that to their platform.

But decentralized APIs, now that is pretty amazing. It is really nice to see somebody making reasonable plans to scale. This isn't like in Bitcoin where people are like lets go from 4 tx/s to 12 tx/s and can't even decide on that. hahaha

Also, it is much better to start to cater to people outside of the crypto community. That is where projects will really make it or not.

Back