• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DashCentral.org - masternode monitoring and budget voting

Now nodes that were showing as "voted" are showing as "not voted" on the website; I did nothing on my end.

Pablo.

Wonderful site, i love it.

Edit: The only thing im scared and wouldnt recommend is uploading the privatekey. But yeah, theres technically currently no other way for it.

EditEdit: In V0.12.0.55 is support for trustless voting (at least the changelog says this). I guess it will be implemented soon? ~

Last edited by a moderator:
Now nodes that were showing as "voted" are showing as "not voted" on the website; I did nothing on my end.

Pablo.

Yes, there was an interruption with one of your voting submissions. I made the system submit the remaining votes, so it should be fine now. can you please chcek? If there is still a discrepancy, please vote again for the proposal. I will make some changes to the system, to avoid these kind of rare issues in the future.

hey rango great work on the site. noticed you have implemented 'trustless mn voting'. Can you please explain what the risks are involved with doing this. Having to import MN priv key sounds a bit scary. Can you please explain all the disadvantages with doing this and the possible risks if your site is compromised. thanks again

Wonderful site, i love it.

Edit: The only thing im scared and wouldnt recommend is uploading the privatekey. But yeah, theres technically currently no other way for it.

EditEdit: In V0.12.0.55 is support for trustless voting (at least the changelog says this). I guess it will be implemented soon? ~

Thank you for your kind words, guys.

The implementation of voting at Dashwhale is as secure as theoretically possible. If you enter your privkeys, they are encrypted directly in your browser. So our server only sees the encrypted value but never your real privkey. If somebody compromises our database, he only has access to the encrypted keys, which are useless. If you submit your votes, you decrypt your privkeys with your passphrase directly in your browser and sign the voting messages. Again our server never sees your privkeys, it only sees your signed voting messages. So that's quite unproblematic.

Best,
Rango

We further improved voting based on your suggestions. All proposals, where you did not vote, are now highlighted on the budget overview page. So you easily see, where you still have to cast your votes.

Android app apostroph shputbox issue has also been fixed by app dev and will be pushed to appstore within 3 days.

Best,
Rango

Dashwhale donations

Since we did not want to implement a regular subscription model to fund basic Dashwhale operation, we implemented a personal donation system.

Every whale has it's personal donation address. As a donator, you are able to assign your funds to the projects you value as important. You see, what amount is required to just keep this site up and operational. In addition you are awarded with one or more blue whale fins, showing the community that, you are a Dashwhale supporter.

dw_screenshot8.png

@Pablo

Thank you for making the proposal suggestion. We'll give the donation system some days. If we see, that it does not allow coverage of basic Dashwhale operation costs, we'll submit a budget proposal. So things will end up in some kind of hybrid funding: budget proposal + individual user donations

Best,
Rango

Enhanced proposal editor

Good news for DASH proposal owners. We integrated a WYSIWYG Editor, that allows you to fully style your proposal description and add images and videos.

dw_screenshot9.png

Masternode incidents

We just released the new masternode incidents feature. It is a history of the critical downtimes of your masternodes including the date and duration. This is very helpful in a variety of situations including quality assurance of external masternode hosting services.

Nice to see a good discussion happening on the dashwhale funding proposal, shame it's happening on the bitcointalk multi threaded trollbox and not here though ;)

stan.distortion

Ha ha, you are right. The proposal ultimatively proved that Dashwhale is a suitable platform to handle proposal description and discussion in one place. 42 comments so far and some side strikes on BTC. Dashwhale made it's way to so many new minds in the community. That's an awesome ROI for the time beeing :cool::cool::cool:

De-clustered voting

If you run multiple masternodes and use the manual wallet "vote-many" function on commandline, all votes for a proposal are submitted to the network within one second. So it's easy as pie to see which and how many masternodes belong to one owner.

To counter this issue, we just released "de-clustered" voting. Simply hit the "vote" button on a Dashwhale proposal page. Your proposal votes are submitted over several hours at random timepoints. Nobody is able to group your masternodes based on their votes anymore.

This feature strongly enhances your voting anonymity, compared to manual command-line wallet voting!

Sounds like it's going well :) I'm slightly opposed to the proposal as it stands, mainly from the aspect of funding 3rd party services as a whole rather than dashwhale specifically but I'd be very interested if dashwhale could experiment with a platform aimed at integration with dash at a later stage. The voting mechanism is groundbreaking and I'd imagine there will be a lot of changes as situations develop and methods evolve, right now its a journey into the unknown and a service to plot a route through the obstacles as they become visible could be a huge benefit.

It's something I'd given a lot of thought to in the past and have countless thoughts and ideas on the subject but very few of them have any foundation outside conventional voting and social structures. I've been meaning to read up on systems like Liquid Democracy because they're probably the most similar to what this could become and I know they've been taken completely by surprise many times by the issues that have arisen, there could be a lot to be learned from them.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the vote :)

Maybe something interesting/useful, charting vote counts over time, could be good for seeing how strong opinion is as points come up in discussion.

EDIT: A votometer yay/nay bar below discussions might make things more lively, not sure if something like that could spam the voting mechanism though :)

stan.distortion

This might be some useful ideas for the future. But currently, there are only 2-3 proposal a month. So making the voting process more vivid is not really worth the work now. But in the future, when hopefully more and more proposals appear.

Automatic restart of crashed or hung masternodes

Dashwhale updater is a script, you install on the server you run your masternode. It collects the version and the blockheight of your masternode and checks, if your masternode is operating correctly. The data is pushed to the Dashwhale server, so you have comfortable access to your masternode data via the Dashwhale website and mobile apps.

All data is interpretated and in case your masternode is determined to be unfunctional for at least 10 minutes, it is automatically restarted. In addition, you are notified by email, mobile push notification or slack. Automatic restart makes sure your masternode does not drop of the payment list and you don't miss payments.

Download lastest Dashwhale updater supporting automatic restarts here:

https://www.dashwhale.org/downloads/dashwhale-updater-v4.tgz

Best,
Rango

P.S. Dashwhale updater supports multiple masternodes. Check out the example config:

our %masternodes = (
'Xuia3V5v51AFTjYNtz6tpu9YrKYoWc9Ruz' => {
'rpc_host' => 'localhost',
'rpc_port' => 9998,
'rpc_user' => 'masternode1',
'rpc_password' => '123password',
'daemon_autorestart' => 'disabled',
'daemon_binary' => '/usr/bin/dashd',
'daemon_datadir' => '/root/.dash'
},

'Xo1cwpFNHff5Nj12qWWXhCDyv5fPCdGZNR' => {
'rpc_host' => 'localhost',
'rpc_port' => 9998,
'rpc_user' => 'masternode2',
'rpc_password' => '123password',
'daemon_autorestart' => 'disabled',
'daemon_binary' => '/usr/bin/dashd',
'daemon_datadir' => '/root/.dash'
}
);

Nextpay & enhanced privacy

Trying to guess, when your masternode is going to be paid is a pain. To fix this, we are happy to introduce the new "Nextpay" status. It's a simple bar allowing you to evaluate at a glance, when next payment occurs. The bar switches to green, when your masternode reached a payment queue rank within the top 10% of all masternodes, indicating that your node can now randomly be selected for a payment anytime.

Registering a Dashwhale account does not require to enter an email address anymore. Simply choose a username and a password and you are done. Existing users can delete the email address from their account settings. Password reset function is of course only possible with a set account email.

P.S. Thanks to Moocowmoo, for revealing and explaining the technical background from the DASH sourcecode.

Back