• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DASH WORLD update #3: DASH as the PRIVACY SENTINEL

GreyGhost

Foundation Member
This is a tricky but a passionate, personal one.

As a journalist in my native country I have been listened to, surveilled, visibly followed by the government as a form of intimidation, threatened and finally persecuted by the government and government controlled media. The final result was the political asylum the United States has granted me some 18 years ago. I find it terrifying that nowadays every human being on the planet is a subject of vast powers that know “everything about them.”

Strategic Areas of Work on https://www.dash.org/dash-strategy/ among other goals states: "The privacy solution implemented called for a two-tier network to perform transaction anonymization services for end users, and represented nothing short of a paradigm shift in the potential structure of a decentralized network," thusly emphasizing Dash’s revolutionary feature: it protects our right to privacy.

As I wrote in Dash World: Marketing Audit, Progress & Road-map thread DASH as the Privacy Sentinel is in “a very early stages of exploring possibilities of promoting PrivacyProtect / DashSecure I zeroed on 157 journalists in over 30 countries with human rights and need for privacy. It’s a huge task that at the moment has no clear outcome and many constraints. (no budget, if properly done this venture requires a lot, a lot of time; I can't know what the reactions of these people will be -- I started contacting them but as you might imagine, all of them are very busy. I am mentioning this as an illustration of many avenues the Dash World and its team is exploring; to many to mention. In the future only the avenues feasible to pursue will be shared with the community - I do not want us to be mislead with great ideas and for sure would not like to make any promises.”

I am now ready to reach out toward all these journalists (and some more I put on my ever growing list) and will see where this will take us. To the book, a study, anything that would promote Dash as the champion of the key human rights: “to be left alone” in our (legal, legitimate, non harmful to others) lives and activities, as U.S. Justice Louis Brandeis wrote in his famous dissent in Olmstead v. United States (1928)[1].

Brandeis defined the "right to be let alone" as "the most comprehensive of rights, and the right most valued by civilized men." If we position Dash as the champion of human rights and established it as such it would help us all over the world and increase our use and visibility.

[1] Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/277/438#writing-USSC_CR_0277_0438_ZD

I'm with you in that privacy is my dearest feature. It was what brought me to Dash and it is the one that I think more about.

I'm not sure though about all the naming. Too many names going around. I would just talk about privacy, private, etc, but I agree that a name for the feature can be useful. What I would avoid is the Sentinel. The new piece of software that Evan announced recently is called Sentinel, so we should stay away to avoid confusion.

Btw, @yidakee and me have been working on knocking on doors to promote our privacy feature for a while now. He has focused more on privacy conscious merchants and has got huge success with Protonmail (they even tweeted about it and there are several people from the team now working with them on how to do the integration). I'm focusing more on educating people in certain NGOs. As you say, very long shot and long term, but it is really fun to do it and I love it, so no problem there.

Interesting initiative @GreyGhost . If I were you, I would simply avoid terms like PrivacyProtect / DashSecure in the communication.
We should start to talk to people in "human language" in my opinion. The technology names are good but should be reserved for technical discussions with e.g. developers, security admins etc. - to normal people we should just mention that our technology provides mechanism to protect their privacy (tech details can be always found on our webpage).

Thanks guys. I did not use any terms because it's too early to introduce any arcane concepts. More importantly, what @yidakee seems to be doing with Protonmail is similar to the plan I try to develop.

Once my carpal tunnel syndrome pain eases I might write more about it or answer otherwise but now I need to rest and leave the keyboard until tomorrow for it is impossible to keep typing this - it's excruciating...

Thanks guys. I did not use any terms because it's too early to introduce any arcane concepts. More importantly, what @yidakee seems to be doing with Protonmail is similar to the plan I try to develop.

Once my carpal tunnel syndrome pain eases I might write more about it or answer otherwise but now I need to rest and leave the keyboard until tomorrow for it is impossible to keep typing this - it's excruciating...
I've been there. Avoid alcohol, rest your arms and hands, and take benfotiamine ( synthetic B1). Also, you should know that carpal tunnel is a generic, first symptom expression for neuritis somewhere in your body. You may have a nerve entrapment in a seemingly unrelated area.

Last edited:

Man, take care, I've always heard that was really painful :(

As for the adoption efforts, let's try to coordinate. @yidakee has already written to many people and at this stage I don't think we can have many successful integrations for lack of possible clients and additional business (Protonmail was really worried about this).

Indeed as @fernando mentioned... We started building a DB of potencial privacy-centric outlets. The idea was/is to contact them and liaison the eventual integration of Dash exactly because of our strong point privacy features.

We've encountered two common obstacles. First, as is typical of cold-contacts/sales. Lack of response. I wrote a few test scripts, but all failed miserably. When money and internet are involved, what do you do when you get a "hey, I've got something interesting for you" in your mailbox ?

Second is cost of integration vs. revenue benefit. Some companies, even with Bitcoin, felt no significant income stream.

@GreyGhost - I'd love to hear more about you ideas, maybe we can work together on this? By the way, I bought this for my Dad and it's doing wonders for his
rheumatism. Many guitarists/pianist friends use it and it's loads of funs, exactly to avoid carpel tunnel. Even some bodybuilders use it in extreme mode (some youtube are hilarious!) . Check with your doctor though - but this little this is amazing at preventing carpel and strengthening muscle - even if you use it slowly like in this video, 5 minutes is like you've been hitting the gym for hours!

Last edited:
Hit me with a PM @yidakee please. I have another business idea I briefly mentioned to @AndyDark as we were discussing that -- a shameless plug coming -- that the core of Dash World is indeed not "marketing" but the Micro-economy of Dash. I need to understand what's possible and what is not, on a tech side in order to sound smarter. (everything is possible, so let me rephrase this how much would it cost to make those ideas possible is my dilemma; so let us have @fernando there and I will also try to get @boblq involved, on Slack perhaps, for he mostly communicates with me via e-mail)

And thanks for the power-ball recommendation.

lisacheng hobbskevin GreyGhost

Dash Nation, anyone? :D Promoting the ideological angle will be a way more powerful angle. Great analysis!
Thanks Tao! :)
I agree using the ideological angle to build the community and get more people involved is a good way to appeal to people's hopes/wishes/dreams - its how Bernie did so well in the primaries!

I would recommend putting forward a message about Dash to merchants and when educating people about Dash - something like:
"Do you care about privacy? Blockchain transactions can be traced back to the original owner, Dash prevents that from happening."

Thanks Tao! :)
I agree using the ideological angle to build the community and get more people involved is a good way to appeal to people's hopes/wishes/dreams - its how Bernie did so well in the primaries!

I would recommend putting forward a message about Dash to merchants and when educating people about Dash - something like:
"Do you care about privacy? Blockchain transactions can be traced back to the original owner, Dash prevents that from happening."
Yes, that's how you start movements that are beyond the bland and boring subject matter of money. Giving people something to belong to (and fight for) is a way more powerful path forward. Some will use Dash for the technical capabilities, and some will use Dash for the principle. But they will all use Dash!

Yes, that's how you start movements that are beyond the bland and boring subject matter of money. Giving people something to belong to (and fight for) is a way more powerful path forward. Some will use Dash for the technical capabilities, and some will use Dash for the principle. But they will all use Dash!
Crypto has failed to deliver on the ideological promises it made through a lack of features able to back up those promises. this is why those who have become disillusioned are so strongly averted. It's a double-edged sword. It repels in it's failure in equal force what it draws in. The perpetual refusal of BitCloners and Ponzis to acknowledge this, only splits the gulf wider... DASH has, unfairly, inherited this stigma, and must make amends to those most averted; vendors. Vendors are not the average cryptotard. They do due dilligence and see the underlying cracks the the typical cryptotard does not. Continuing to ignore them when we are the only ones who have the putty to fill it in only makes DASH look like a bunch of damned fools.

coinbase is playing the "Easy" card to teach people to paint themselves into a new corner. They're the new Visa. New Owner same as the Old Owner. The tendency for sheeple to beg for an owner can't be averted, but one need not deliberately lure them into the trap... Shun the cheese. Perchance, how does one lure fools into a trap, if they do not first build the trap? Such constructs are not an accident. Whever there is bait, there is something much, much worse...
The final result was the political asylum the United States has granted me some 18 years ago.
So, you had an 11 years of freedom before the problem caught up...

Last edited:
Back