• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Wallet for Android (IX w/ Send and Receive, New UI)

Is this app a step in the right direction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HashEngineering
Got a bug in Receive Coins - Request from local app. Crashed and sent a report.

Accept payment over bluetooth is checked.
Getting 1.3 seconds to receive pretty consistently on the IX receives.

The message for IX received coins is This is an InstantX payment that has been verified by the Dash Network.
Can we change this to say something that this payment is secured by masternodes.....Or maybe this payment is successfully locked.

The message for standard payments is This payment should become spendable in a few minutes.
This message should be more obvious that it is an unconfirmed transactions. Maybe - Unconfirmed transaction received. Please wait 1-6 block confirmations depending on the security needed.

Sending with IX, is just as fast but much harder to actually measure with only one set of hands. About 1.3 or 1.4 seconds.

I like the floating QR code button. It wasn't 100% obvious, but close enough. Way better than hunting in the menu to scan.

The default field for a send is in $. It should default to Dash. If you ever pay a merchant, they will ask for Dash - not $ at an unknown conversion rate. It is cool that the app can convert automatically.

It is getting the QR code correct. It puts the label and amount in the right spots.

What is the empty wallet? Is this just sending out your entire balance? Sounds scary. Can that be changed to Send All?

As for speed technically this is 1.3 seconds +/-0.1 seconds. But for advertising we can say 2 seconds (in fine print +/- 2 seconds depending on network connection). All things considered it takes way more than 2 seconds to setup the payment, put in password and hit yes.

HashEngineering
Got a bug in Receive Coins - Request from local app. Crashed and sent a report.

Accept payment over bluetooth is checked.
Getting 1.3 seconds to receive pretty consistently on the IX receives.

The message for IX received coins is This is an InstantX payment that has been verified by the Dash Network.
Can we change this to say something that this payment is secured by masternodes.....Or maybe this payment is successfully locked.

The message for standard payments is This payment should become spendable in a few minutes.
This message should be more obvious that it is an unconfirmed transactions. Maybe - Unconfirmed transaction received. Please wait 1-6 block confirmations depending on the security needed.

I didn't get the crash report. This itself could be the result of another bug in the app. I need to test again if "report issue" works.

We can change the text for InstantX payments (one is for receiving/sending without being locked, the other for being locked). I chose long sentences as a starting point to make it clear what was happening for testing purposes. I would prefer in the long term to use something similar to Dash Core, with perhaps some other visual indication. I would like for it to be simple, short and understandable to the average user.

The issue with changing the text is that since this is based on Bitcoin Wallet, all other languages besides English will not be changed without proper translation. For instantX messages, there are no translations currently, since that is new for Dash Wallet. In the future we would need some translation to be done for new text or changed text.

Sending with IX, is just as fast but much harder to actually measure with only one set of hands. About 1.3 or 1.4 seconds.

I like the floating QR code button. It wasn't 100% obvious, but close enough. Way better than hunting in the menu to scan.

The default field for a send is in $. It should default to Dash. If you ever pay a merchant, they will ask for Dash - not $ at an unknown conversion rate. It is cool that the app can convert automatically.

It is getting the QR code correct. It puts the label and amount in the right spots.

What is the empty wallet? Is this just sending out your entire balance? Sounds scary. Can that be changed to Send All?

As for speed technically this is 1.3 seconds +/-0.1 seconds. But for advertising we can say 2 seconds (in fine print +/- 2 seconds depending on network connection). All things considered it takes way more than 2 seconds to setup the payment, put in password and hit yes.

I am confused concerning the default field to send is in $. On my screen, which is the same as the screen shot in a previous post on this thread, there are two fields: one is DASH and the other is local currency such as $. The user can enter an amount in either one. What do you mean by "default to Dash"?

Empty wallet is from the original Bitcoin Wallet. It will send all DASH in the wallet. We could change it to "Send All" in English. Other languages would need to be changed as well, if necessary. There is another option on that Send Coins page for changing the Fee. This probably wasn't updated from Bitcoin Values and may not work properly, yet. It probably isn't necessary, but is a way to give the miners more fees if the the user desires.

Thanks for the time measurements.

I didn't get the crash report. This itself could be the result of another bug in the app. I need to test again if "report issue" works.

We can change the text for InstantX payments (one is for receiving/sending without being locked, the other for being locked). I chose long sentences as a starting point to make it clear what was happening for testing purposes. I would prefer in the long term to use something similar to Dash Core, with perhaps some other visual indication. I would like for it to be simple, short and understandable to the average user.

The issue with changing the text is that since this is based on Bitcoin Wallet, all other languages besides English will not be changed without proper translation. For instantX messages, there are no translations currently, since that is new for Dash Wallet. In the future we would need some translation to be done for new text or changed text.

I am confused concerning the default field to send is in $. On my screen, which is the same as the screen shot in a previous post on this thread, there are two fields: one is DASH and the other is local currency such as $. The user can enter an amount in either one. What do you mean by "default to Dash"?

Empty wallet is from the original Bitcoin Wallet. It will send all DASH in the wallet. We could change it to "Send All" in English. Other languages would need to be changed as well, if necessary. There is another option on that Send Coins page for changing the Fee. This probably wasn't updated from Bitcoin Values and may not work properly, yet. It probably isn't necessary, but is a way to give the miners more fees if the the user desires.

Thanks for the time measurements.

Understand about the language....an icon should be able to get the point across.
I am thinking an icon with a closed lock should be used for instantx receives. Use an open lock with a standard transaction until it hits 5 or 6 confirms - then it changes to a closed lock.

You should be confused on the default comment. Ignore that. It actually does default to dash if you scan a QR code without an amount. I think I was just hitting the screen yesterday. Sorry.

Yes, changing the English to Send All will help.

As for the fees. I think there is value in having the option to select fees. There really are three choices now. 0 fee, standard, and instanx. (At least the QT wallet has the option to allow 0 fee transactions - don't know if that works though). But who knows what the fees will be like in a year. The min/standard/max + check box instantx seems good for now and the future.

Did some testing today, the IX sent from dash-core arrives instantly on the android wallet but when sending the amount received after 5/6 + 1 pow confirmation the wallet says there are insufficient funds to go through.
After some more confirmations when sending IX via dash android wallet works OK.
Scanning the QR work awesome, other features as well, so far ;)
Will do some more tests and will send back a feedback.

edit: just noticed that after sending the IX or normal tx from andorid wallet when I want to send another IX I need to wait 7 pow confirmations before the wallet gives me the permission to send the IX again.
Sending normal tx goes with no problems.

btw. I like the changing size of DASH on the top when you move up or down extra, and the red line as well :)

Last edited:
The behavior you describe is by design. All coins that are sent with IX on the android require 6 confirmations. This is something that was added when I was working with Solarminer with his Dash Drink system.

Should it be this way? to wait for 6 confirmations before sending with IX? I need to look back in my notes to see why we did this.

The funds sent from my qt wallet into the android wallet (normal tx) can be spent with IX after 7th block (after 6 conf I could`t send them with IX) if I wanted to send them without IX it worked.

The funds sent from my qt wallet into the android wallet (normal tx) can be spent with IX after 7th block (after 6 conf I could`t send them with IX) if I wanted to send them without IX it worked.

Yes, this behavior is by design, though I just looked at the code and it was requiring the number of confirmations to be greater than 6 (which means 7) instead of greater than or equal to 6 (which means 6). I updated the code, but that won't be in the newest beta.

https://github.com/HashEngineering/darkcoin-wallet/releases/tag/v4.40.12j.rix - newest beta

Looks like it works as it should with a Note 5 on Marshmallow. Sweeping of a wallet works, empty the wallet works. (Still think that should be send all).

Ok, so to backup your wallet the behavior is odd. The menu says safety (to me this doesn't mean backup - but is probably pretty good for non English). So you choose safety/backup and set a password. It asks if you want to dismiss or archive(this doesn't really make sense) The archive should really say "Backup". Archive implies that you will never use it again. Then after you hit archive it allows you to email it to yourself. It isn't obvious that it will do this and would be nice if it had some text to say that would be an option in the next menu.
ZNONR5U.png

Thank you Solarminer for your feedback. The reasons for the behavior and the text are because it is based on Bitcoin Wallet and those are were not changed. But these are good points. In English it will be easy to make some clarifications in the text, but I am not sure what other languages say or how they should be changed.

I do like the idea of "Send All' instead of "Empty Wallet"

Given the feedback, there area few miner text items to change on the app. Then the app will be rolled out in two phases:
1. GitHub - volunteers can download it (it will replace the current version, not the beta version which is a separate app).
2. Google Play - everyone who has auto update will get the update automatically - hopefully that is not a shock, since the app looks very different in colour, etc.

The updated version will not replace the Beta Version.

We are adding back a feature that was removed with the UI update. That is delaying our release of the app.

The Key Feature is a QR code that is on the main screen of the wallet, which allows for quicker access to a receiving address. The alternative is to click on "Receive Coins" which may be less intuitive than having the QR code on the main screen.

The feature was added in. Testing is complete. Releasing the app here:
https://github.com/HashEngineering/darkcoin-wallet/releases/tag/v4.40.12k(2) - This is the Phase 1 update for the Dash Wallet for Android. Beta Testing is complete, but before we release to Google Play, we are releasing for volunteers to download. This version also has the fix to allow websites with dash: URI's to start the app to send payments.

This version will replace previous versions, unlike other beta test or testnet apps, which were separate apps.” (be aware/secure your funds) -- Always, always back up your wallet.

Last edited:
https://github.com/HashEngineering/dash-wallet/releases/tag/v4.65.12

This new version was made to address several issues:
  • Update to Bitcoin Wallet 4.65
  • Fixed bug with importing BIP38 (#4)
  • Fixed bug with upside down camera (#5)
  • Lowered Fees (#17)
  • Possible Fix for crashing with WiFi (#16)
  • Update Chinese (zh)
Be sure to install this on a fresh device with limited amounts of DASH if testing. This version will install over the current version on Google Play.

Android Wallet
any crash reports ?!? - please send them to hashengeneering (or me and I pass it on) direct - not to google (as that does not help him to fix the bugs !
He needs someone with a new version to send a crash report please !!

Back