• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Town Hall is nearly ready to launch

Ape

Dash town hall mission:
-Building a meritocracy where dash users discuss, vote, contribute
or simply audit any and all aspects of the Dash treasury system
-Creating an extension to the treasury system where proposal concepts
and requests for proposals can be evaluated by the community without financial commitment
from either Proposal owners or the treasury
-Increasing trust and community involvement
-Setting the standard for transparency

Dash town hall is a governance site similar to Dash central or nexus. The site will offer Request for proposals, public voting and eventually delegates. We will also be making some efforts to co-ordinate the various discussion platforms (Dash central, forum, Reddit etc...)

The major advantages the site will offer I intially will be public vote tally's for proposal concepts (imported from nexus), the ability to submit a request for proposal and to have these public votes directly in line with the MNO votes (and eventually the delegates votes)

I don't know why Dash Central gets so much love when it lacks so much. You've got a lot of work to convert folks to a new platform.

Why don't you just take over Dash Nexus 'cause it looks dead / abandoned. Might as well build upon that than starting from scratch.

From what I've seen, people want the ability to edit comments, though of course that can create problems about who said what. So what you should do is allow comment editing with a history undo function showing what was edited. Then, on top of that, you should charge 2 cents for every comment or edit.

I thought the same thing and for about a year I was messaging Jeff just trying to get him to make a couple improvements to nexus. Lots of wasted time, but at least he didn't give me a chance to pay him to make the changes.

It will definitely be a lot of work, but I'm working on a few projects in this arena so it's kinda fun for me.

I do like the ability to edit comments in discord. I had planned on a changelog but kinda assumed this would be limited to mods. Do you have another example of how this would work?

I've seriously considered charging for each comment or something... Still a lot to decide on how to structure the 'forum' type discussion tool. Mostly want to use a Reddit style up/down votes to sort comments but I'll make a note of both these suggestions...

Any ideas as to how to best combine the different platforms? Chronological?

Well, if you're going to have comment voting then maybe that should be paid too. Don't make this look like an old boys club. Flat fee voting and comments is the most inclusive way I think.

mnowatch has considered making a proper proposal forum where the PO gets to post for free mnos have like 5 or 10 free posts and there after must pay per post with an exponetially higher fee and brilliantly anons can post too by submitting a high flat fee per post. Anyway, I looked at your site, firstly, your leaderboard differs from from ours https://mnowatch.org/leaderboard/ not sure on reason. Also, the key you are using for a proposal is not the proposal name, this is inelegant because I can't intuitively call up a proposal on the site knowing just the name, refer to how DC does it. Also, the masternode list seems incomplete and clicking through the address is unhandled. I think to replace DC it has to allow the user to immediately do what they want to do which is see the comments and post, not sure this site does that. Are you the dev of this site or is it someone else?

As a Dash Central user I feel that comments on proposals should be limited to about 4 or 5 per user per proposal. This restriction should not apply to the entity that submits the proposal.

As an alternative, people who don't submit the proposal could be charged a small fee (in Dash) per comment.

And btw, you need to change the name to something shorter and / or more inspiring. Or just join forces with mnowatch and help them make it more appealing.

Name is decided...open to suggestions but this is the best I've got and I've been thinking about it a while...and it's way better than my first attempt...

I really like Darren's suggestions about limiting the number of posts. I'll make note.

When chatting about this with the community one long term member said that community involvement was already so low that charging for comments was a non starter. I tend to lean this way but it's also obvious that we need to increase the quality of posts before anyone's willing to read through them and contribute.

Just spoke to the development team today... should be ready to launch by the next cycle

I will drop this here and see who grabs it first because I'm sure it will be gone in 3, 2, 1..

dash.vote is available

My main issue with dashcentral is that it is not organized. The comment section turns into a wall of text that has a tendency to split into multiple subjects with every reply. I think some kind of tagging system could help, so that you could see "top concerns" and "top benefits" that could be created and voted on, and also filter comments by the same tags, items such as "insufficient transparency", or "reputable team",...etc

That's a really good idea Troy. The 'reputable team' and 'insufficient transparency' would probably be a 'sticky' at the top of the discussion right? That way you could see them grouped as in 23 people say they need more transparency...

Could you have more than one 'top concern' or maybe limited to 3?

I've also been wondering what kind of functionality do you with the DC comment votes had? Hide after 3 downvotes?

Building a meritocracy where dash users discuss, vote, contribute or simply audit any and all aspects of the Dash treasury system

The site is up and running Dash Town Hall dotkom

I seem to be missing the 'discuss' part on dashtownhall.com
Is that W.I.P. ?

If it is, then maybe it is good to have some kind of roadmap / milestones / a list of features, that you plan to add later on.
So users can see what features are already implemented and what features are on a todo list.

Also since you posted this in the Pre+Budget Proposal Discussions section, does this mean you will be creating a budget proposal for this ?
If yes, we should have some information about the requested amount of dash to fund, proposal duration and information about your team
(how many teammembers, their expertise etc).

Last edited:
Qwizzie,

Exactly..the forum/discussion piece is still in the works. I think that it's not critical to the Minimum Viable Product so we'll probably launch without it, but it's the next thing on the list. It's a pretty hard problem to solve though...as Strophy likes to remind me: there's a real risk of creating yet another place to discuss things vs a place to collect all discussions. So really...we need to figure out how we want it to look and feel. I've been toying with the idea of just creating a subreddit for each proposal...their sorting algorithm is pretty awesome. I wonder what suggestions you might have for this aspect. How would you combine the discussions from Dash Central, the forum, Reddit (maybe discord)? Just a robot who would post most everything to the same place? Can you think of any additional sorting rules that might help avoid these walls of texts about someone's pet concern?

Obviously the biggest challenge with any kind of discussion platform is moderation right? I'm a big fan of paying people for doing quality work so yeah I'm planning on launching a proposal. I wrote one maybe 9 Mo to a year ago and had it on nexus forever as a concept but I took it down.

I'll pull the features list and post it here.

- Proposal details
- A unique Forum post will be created for each proposal, and displayed on this
overview site.
- User/Delegate Registration, Login, Profile
- 3 Type of Users/delegates/MN to express their opinions on each line item/Proposal
(Yes, No or Abstain)
- Notification via Email for next voting deadline along with status, and no longer
valid nodes
- Nodes are identified using only an IP address. Most basic users can identify up
to 10 nodes.
- Feature to request and monitor nodes& votes...identified by voting key or ip
address
- Node setup guide
- Voting/delegation guide
- Scheduling the import of records on a daily basis for proposals, and hourly for
node status.
- Admin Module for CMS, User, schedule management
- Delegates Voting History
- Proposal owner history...ask/award in Dash and fiat
- Masternode Best practices
- Vision/ Roadmap for Dash Town Hall as well as each delegate's vision/roadmap
for DASH as a whole
- A list of proposals/areas of improvement requested by each delegate
- 'Code of ethics' document/site that would help people navigate the principles/morals of the
dash ecosystem.

.. This code of ethics thing people might find interesting... We should be building tribal knowledge into a site as well as unacceptable behaviour. Things like multi month proposals come to mind but there's a lot of things that we have strong opinions on, but don't really have written anywhere (afaik)

I'll also post the phased launch plan (roadmap) ...but can we discuss the features list first...what features are missing? What needs adjusting?

It seems to me the discussion / forum part should be in your MVP. Without it, I would vote No on this proposal.

If you feel so strongly about it I wonder how you envision it working. I wouldn't feel super comfortable adding something to the project which would be a part of the go/no-go decision that I had added with little to no input from the community. It doesn't make sense to build things in a silo...if we as a community don't know what we want wouldn't it make sense to feel it out? Although a simple forum would probably be easy... it's just that I don't know if the community discussion needs to be spread across yet another platform if we aren't offering something new and novel...

Last edited:
If you feel so strongly about it I wonder how you envision it working. I wouldn't feel super comfortable adding something to the project which would be a part of the go/no-go decision that I had added with little to no input from the community. It doesn't make sense to build things in a silo...if we as a community don't know what we want wouldn't it make sense to feel it out? Although a simple forum would probably be easy... it's just that I don't know if the community discussion needs to be spread across yet another platform if we aren't offering something new and novel...

What? It's not that hard to build a forum / comments section. Also, what people think they want and what they really want can be two very different things. How else did we get the iphone if all people wanted was to make calls??? It's an exploratory process, you try some of the ideas here and see which ones stick.

Back