• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DASH naming confusion

Although better than just Dash, Dashpay is also used by at least 2 other companies. Dash is better than the old name of Darkcoin but awful when it comes to anything else. Tell someone abut Bitcoin, they'll search for it and find it. Tell someone about Dash, they'll search for it and give up. People seeing sites that accept Dash may go searching for what this is and get completely confused.

And please, no more of this "yes but Dash will rise to the top of search results eventually". Search engines algorithms will do what they like, and Dash may never get to the top.

A unique brandable name is vital in these days of Internet searching. The name Dash is a big drawback to greater adoption.

When I first heard about Bitcoin I was easily able to search for it and find out what it's about. This is not the case with Dash.

Bitcoins name at first had the same issue, although it IS unique. It's not obvious as to what they do and its gimmicky. you tell someone dash is just Digital Cash w/ a better name, they get it.

Great idea, Tao. I like the whole concept you're building around Dash Nation too.
Thank you for your kind words. I'm seeing lots of positive reception to the initiative in general. We are going to take it to the next level through the website and other initiatives anyway, so it would be great to have the team's cooperation as well!

Tao, it's the way, the Dash team needs to promote related websites with links to Dash.org, we need to come together, we be many and they are few :rolleyes: they need us more than we need them :cool: A joint action is the best way to highlight this unique brand. :eek:DASHo_O We need share Dash websites, share more and more... the dash nation is a great idea, you already have my support, shares, and more shares across my social media platforms... We Are Dash Nation!
best

Last edited:
Tao, it's the way, the Dash team needs to promote related websites with links to Dash.org, we need to come together, we be many and they are few :rolleyes: they need us more than we need them :cool: A joint action is the best way to highlight this unique brand. :eek:DASHo_O We need share Dash websites, share more and more... the dash nation is a great idea, you already have my support, shares, and more shares across my social media platforms... We Are Dash Nation!
best
Gracias, amigo!

If there's enough possibility of confusion between "dashpay" and other prior uses of the same word, by all means let's find some other word.

I can think of replacements for "dashpay" but I won't point them out here. Unethical people might grab the corresponding domain names, twitter handles, youtube channels, etc., in anticipation of selling them back to the Dash organization.

Any choice of a new name should be made by the appropriate dash developers quietly, and they should grab the domains, handles, channels, etc., before they announce any new name. And then they can announce their choice and look for feedback and rethink their choice if necessary.

For real? Mr. xjones, i personally dislike you and your posts ... it's just me so you don't have to care ... but like i said in your last post with the title "How masternode payments might cause a bubble" - i'm pretty sure you are playing all these "cards" to get a down momentum in price after the break of 0.01 didn't has gone enough momentum to the downside - yes it's pure speculation but my guess is you are in a short right now, and you are trying to save your ass with topics like these!

Summary: The name "dash" is too generic. It can be retained, but the web presence of dash should be renamed to something unique, such as "dashpay".​

The name "bitcoin" was not a word until the virtual currency was created.

The name "ethereum" was not a word until the virtual currency was created. (The currency itself is "ether", a common word, but wisely, they called the system "ethereum" instead.)

A web search for either "bitcoin" or "ethereum" turns up only bitcoin- and ethereum-related results and almost nothing else.

The name "dash" is a common English word. A web search for "dash" turns up a lot of results, almost none related to dash the currency. Even if/when dash becomes as well-known as bitcoin, a web search might turn up results related to the virtual currency, but will also turn up many other results relating to other uses of the common English word "dash".

When Google named its programming language GO, I think they realized that there would be confusion with other meanings of the word "go". They called their website "golang.com", and in all references to the programming language go they always mention "golang" so we know what to search for. A search for "golang" only turns up results relating to the programming language and nothing else -- because golang is not an English word.

I think it was a strategic error to use a common English word to name dash the virtual currency.

But this error could be fixed, by picking a different word for web references. Just like Google chose "golang", dash can use some other word, like: "Dashpay, the virtual currency payment system that uses dash the virtual currency". Then all web searches would be for dashpay, not dash. Already, I see that Google gives a lot of dash-related hits for "dashpay".

I think virtual currency exchanges should be asked to list dash as "dashpay". The official website should be dashpay.org, dashpay.com, dashpay.io, dashpay.<something>. Press releases should prominently mention "dashpay" as the name of the system, and then also tell the reader that the currency itself is called "dash".

All official documents should frequently mention "dashpay" as the name of the system, and then clarify that the currency itself is called dash.

Look at the confusion:

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/fxopen-forex-is-now-trading-dash-but-confused-with-dashcoin.9084/

They would have called it DASHPAY but nobody asked them. So they called it DASHCOIN instead.

Actually, back in January 2014 when the idea of Ethereum was first being floated, any web search for "Ethereum" brought up tons of World of Warcraft links =)

Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Monero, Factom, and Lisk. All excellent names that were made up from the start. Original poster is 100% correct.

Dash founder is a tech guy and NOT a promoter or advertiser. I've seen youtube videos and he is describing amazing ideas that I love and even I am being put to sleep. We need a guy with orange hair that is beyond motivated to promote DASH and find us a better name. Time to split up developer and advertisement.

Back