• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Lite Fork

Status
Not open for further replies.
The codebase is far enough along to launch a new version of Dash in a new direction. The key was to get LLMQ working. We don't need the dopey DAO and we don't need the asinine "Dash Community."

Let me put this in a kinder way. It's in the interest of the MNOs to be gifted an alternate version of Dash over which they have no control.

I repeat the question, because you seem deaf.

Who will make governance decisions in this new Dash Lite fork?

Some foundational assumptions we've inherited from Evan have turned out to be false. Forking is the only way forward. We don't have time to convince the DAO of what needs to be done. The DAO is like a battleship that cannot be turned around quickly. What are these false assumptions?

1. Coinjoin is a viable privacy mechanism.

Wrong. Your mixed coins are liable to be frozen or rejected by exchanges and other institutions. see https://sethsimmons.me/posts/fungibility-graveyard/

2. People will value extreme "ease of use" in the crypto space.

Wrong. People want asset appreciation.

3. TPTB will allow a decentralized cryptocurrency to become adopted as a viable option for everyday payments.

LOL.

1. The same people that reject mixed coins are the same people that reject all privacy coins. In their view it's liability either way. Bitcoin is the exception because it reached escape velocity a long time ago. I can't help you resolve other people's hypocrisy.

2. Asset appreciation and ease of use aren't mutually exclusive. Dash's store of value is arguably better than bitcoin as it provides better utility with a lower max supply. Now go and do coin mixing on bitcoin and let me know how much it costs you.

3. TPTB don't have a choice. They can make things difficult - with severe side-effects - but they can't shut it down. Permissionless payments trumps privacy, it says "even if you can track me, you can't stop me".

The group that forked the coin would make all the decisions. Your only decision is to buy their coin or not.
So the Founders of the Dash lite coin will take all the future decisions, and for ever. And any new people that arrive after the short period of time of the initial fork, will become the slaves of the founders for ever.

This is your plan?
Do you think this plan has a future?
Do you assume that future generations are and will remain mentally retarded for ever?

Last edited:
1. The same people that reject mixed coins are the same people that reject all privacy coins. In their view it's liability either way. Bitcoin is the exception because it reached escape velocity a long time ago. I can't help you resolve other people's hypocrisy.

My point is that CoinJoin is a dead end. It's a dodo bird. The CoinJoin tab on Dash QT should include a warning that mixing your coins could lead to them being frozen or rejected by institutions.

2. Asset appreciation and ease of use aren't mutually exclusive...

Asset appreciation is about excitement. No one is excited about what Dash is working on except for the diehard community members that we all know and love/hate. Evo took too long. It was a beautiful dream, but IMHO it won't be fully functional before TPTB pull the plug on all of crypto.

3. TPTB don't have a choice. They can make things difficult - with severe side-effects - but they can't shut it down...

You don't know TPTB very well. IMHO they are using this crypto mania to further their goal of destroying all private wealth. When enough people have bought enough crypto, they will destroy it all.

So basically you took every fact put in front of you and disregarded it.

1. Dash's dodo is cheaper than bitcoin's dodo.

2. There are plenty of people excited about dash: https://terminal.bytetree.com/dash

3. If TPBT are so powerful, how come dash is still standing? You declare that dash's survival is at their mercy?

You sound exactly like the bitcoin obituaries. Bitcoin survived and so does dash. With every block it is proven to be increasingly true,

Last edited:
3. If TPBT are so powerful, how come dash is still standing? You declare that dash's survival is at their mercy?
You sound exactly like the bitcoin obituaries. Bitcoin survived and so does dash. With ever block it is proven to be increasingly true,

You're exhibiting what's called "normalcy bias." see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

I was willing to take a chance on Dash because of RT's leadership. RT is not just brilliant, he's disciplined and honest -- a good person. If Andy Freer and his Trojan horse Incubator take control of the project, the whole equation changes. I am asking for a fork because there is valuable technology here and it should not go down with the ship. We need a lifeboat.

Last edited:
You're exhibiting what's called "normalcy bias." see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

I was willing to take a chance on Dash because of RT's leadership. RT is not just brilliant, he's disciplined and honest -- a good person. If Andy Freer and his Trojan horse Incubator take control of the project, the whole equation changes. I am asking for a fork because I want a lifeboat away from this doomed ship.

So instead of answering the question you choose to question my judgement. Got it.

I understand full well what threats exist. And heading a US based company is one such line of attack. In which case, perhaps you yourself are the enemy, defending a trojan horse. But it is of little consequence, I see no support for your concerns.

But it is of little consequence, @Geert . I see no support for your concerns.

All this bullshit with Andy Freer and his agents trying to take control of the project has got me thinking. Maybe a simplified version of Dash should be spun off that does not include the "developer risk," the coinjoin stigma, and the nauseating governance/treasury system. What I am proposing is a stripped-down version of Dash that has the following features ONLY:

- Chainlocks.
- Enhanced InstantSend

There is no governance, no treasury and no mixing of coins. It would be a purely volunteer project ideally led by someone like Codablock.

And how exactly do you intend to make decisions if there is no governance? For good and for bad, Dash has not forked unlike our friend Bitcoin has done multiple times. Governance is one of the key features and one of the best features of Dash.

Our journey to the promised land of Evo adoption is not assured. We have to avoid the following pitfalls:

1. Evo is never released.

This could happen if some people here succeed in destroying DCG and we no longer have a competent CTO.

2. Evo is released but it's lame.

If contact list privacy is not implemented, for example, I would not use Evo nor would I recommend it to anyone.

3. Evo is released, and not lame, but it can't scale.

Pasta recently admitted that IS can only handle eighteen transactions per second, so this is a real concern.

4. Evo is released, is not lame, can scale, but it's too late.

When central bank digital currencies are rolled out, TPTB may simply ban competing, unauthorized digital currencies. This is not as hard as you might think. They can declare that possession, issuance, mining, trading and transferring crypto-assets is illegal. The Indian government has proposed just such a bill this year. Google and Apple would then remove all unauthorized crypto apps from Android and iOS devices.

You might say that crypto is too popular to ban. Alcoholic beverages were pretty popular as well in America in 1920.

Forking the coin as I proposed is not such a bad idea. A different and maybe more valuable fork idea would be as follows:

- Allow LLMQs to be block producers and do away with POW.
- Deprecate IS since LLMQs are not picking and choosing txes, but using a known algo to assemble blocks instead.
- Implement LLMQ-based blockchain pruning to maintain a small blockchain.
- No mixing, no treasury, no governance, no Evo (sorry grandma).
I do think you have some valid concerns, can you please reference the statement by Pasta saying IS only handle 18 tps? I like to investigate it and see if it has been improved. Furthermore I share your opinion on the contact list privacy, hopefully that will be addressed, can you also give a reference to where I can read more about this? Regarding point 4, some valid thoughts however I think that this will be a divide in the world, some countries choose to adapt crytpo, others not, I do think that open projects will conquer closed controlled government projects in the long run. Just see how well the petro is doing in venezuela vs Dash, I do think government projects fail many times , just look at linux.. linux is used on 90% of servers today.. it was open source and still is open source.. Dash is a project by the people for the people alongside many other crypto alternatives too.

can you please reference the statement by Pasta saying IS only handle 18 tps?

Dash Podcast 172 With Dash Core Developer Pasta on Version 0.17 Release / 306 views / Streamed live on May 21, 2021

My advice is to watch it at 1.75X speed, muted with subtitles on.

Both InstantSend and PrivateSend (CoinJoin) are dead ends. The only current feature of Dash that has a future is chainlocks. This is why a fork of DASH that does away with the DAO is necessary. The DAO is simply too collectively stupid to understand our situation.

Both InstantSend and PrivateSend (CoinJoin) are dead ends. The only current feature of Dash that has a future is chainlocks. This is why a fork of DASH that does away with the DAO is necessary. The DAO is simply too collectively stupid to understand our situation.

I'm here, ready to buy your dash with cold hard cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back