• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash in your language: 2018 Translation Push!

strophy

Administrator
Staff member
Dash Core Group
Dash Support Group
Hi Dashers!

Many of you know me from my work on the Dash Documentation (introduction video here) - now that migration to the new site is complete, I have also taken on a translation coordination role at Dash Core. We can now offer automated translation integration and build processes for the following Dash products:
  • Dash Core wallet
  • Dash iOS wallet
  • Dash Android wallet
  • Dash Documentation
  • Dash.org website
  • Dash marketing material
  • Dash video subtitles
We have had a dedicated group of volunteer translators contributing translations for some time. I want to start out with a BIG THANK YOU to these people, who although too many to mention, have put countless hours of work in translating, reviewing and testing Dash products into their native language. It is now time to expand this work, so I have prepared another video explaining how to contribute to Dash translations.

Translation is difficult and time consuming job, but has the potential to open up Dash to a much larger audience than we can currently reach. To this end, we are now targeting a list of 20+ languages (see below) for the wallets, and a more limited set of languages for the other products. Anyone is welcome to contribute, and some budget is available to pay for translations in key languages where translations have been difficult to source in the past. This expense will be fronted by Dash Core and brought to the network as a reimbursement proposal once the work is done and the exact cost is known more accurately.

So how can you get involved? The first step is to sign up for Transifex and join the Dash project on Transifex. During the signup process, you will be asked to specify which languages you can translate. Please select "umbrella" languages for now and not regional variants, for example choose "Portuguese" and not "Portuguese (Brazil)". We are well aware of regional variants, but for now the variant will simply be the most spoken version, and can be branched off by reviewers if necessary later for e.g. "Portuguese (Portugal)".

You can then proceed to contribute translations to any project. Please feel free to reach out to me on this forum, Discord (@strophy) or by email to [email protected] and I will do my best to provide training and support. You can also join the #translations channel on Discord to build your own community. I will simultaneously be reaching out to translators with offers for paid translation, particularly for priority languages like French, Japanese and Portuguese.

Finally, I would like to address the role of myself and Dash Core in this effort. Dash has always been built by and for the community, and all of the efforts of our work are now also owned by the community through the New Zealand Trust. DCG and the workflows and budget made available here are designed to equip the community with the tools to help make Dash the best it can be for as many people as possible. During planning of this work, we had the choice to work with a translation agency, albeit at greater cost and with potentially less knowledge of Dash, but capable of delivering faster and more professional results. While this option remains open, it is my hope that by presenting a functioning translation toolkit and workflow, we can help grow a Dash-based economy, a highly skilled and committed community and involve more people in Dash around the world.

I look forward to working with you all!

Initial list of target languages:
Arabic, Chinese (S), Chinese (T), Dutch, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese

It is a pleasure for me to translate the documentation of one of my favorite cryptocurrencies ... Dash represents a great improvement in my life and being part of this is great ...

Hello Dash Community!

We are now almost one month into the translation push, and I would like to provide the community with a progress update on the translation of Dash key products. In the past month we have completed training and onboarding for 11 translators, all sourced from within the community, and many who are already long time contributors to Dash. Several more have opted to continue contributing as volunteers. The following table shows the number of translators available to Dash and delivery progress on key products (note Dash Docs will not be translated into all languages for cost/benefit reasons):

JdZTY85.png

We have urgent need for additional skilled translation capacity in French, German and Japanese - these are paid contractor positions, so please contact me if you or someone you know would like to apply to translate these priority languages!

An automated build system is in place for the documentation, and planned for the website once the design refresh is complete. We are also in the process of putting out a bounty to develop a better language switcher for our documentation hosting platform at readthedocs.org - please contact me if you can contribute this code.

I'd like to send out a special thanks to Kelly and Glenn at DCG for putting in a lot of effort to get contracts and payment sent out on time to our translators!

strophy

Last edited:
Back