• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Evolution Demo #3

Just watched Demo #3. Great job guys @Chuck Williams @chrisadam @j0shua @subakumaran !

There are several thoughts about what I saw:

Suffixes in the usernames - IMHO a bad idea.
This will cause difficulties when I want to verbally tell someone my username: John Doe one seven three five six two ... WHAT?!
This will not give you any additional security or privacy if the user can be found by username in the blockchain explorer (as shown in Demo #1 14:40) or by another method by performing search in DashDrive data.
To improve privacy (from screenshot leakage or from people behind the shoulder), it's better to just hide the username from the Home screen and show it only on your Profile page.
Home screen: with balance, notifications, transactions; Profile page: with username, avatar and other.

I like the simple and clean design of Chris. It most suits the concept of "your grandmother can use".
But personally I (like a techie) would like more information and more control over all events and my actions.
I.e. I need an app that my grandma is unlikely to want.
As Joshua noted, there are 3 different approaches and that one must think about how to synthesize them into one united design.
But in my understanding - creating a united design would be a wrong approach. It is impossible to please everyone, from techies to grandmas, by creating a united design - different categories of people will want to see different interface features and different approaches to interact with the app.
For example,
For the grandma, the "Send Dash" action should be as simple as possible - without unnecessary settings, checkboxes, sliders, anything that frightens or makes you doubt because of lack of understanding.
As an advanced wallet user, I would like: "Coin control", PrivateSend selection, InstantSend selection, fee value selection.
To get what we want, we need two different switchable designs, or two apps ;)

I would highly recommend watching this speech on TED (one of my favorite):
Malcolm Gladwell - Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce

"You had been looking for the perfect Pepsi Design. You're wrong. You should be looking for the perfect Pepsis Designs"

Thanks for your time!

Just watched Demo #3. Great job guys @Chuck Williams @chrisadam @j0shua @subakumaran !

There are several thoughts about what I saw:

Suffixes in the usernames - IMHO a bad idea.
This will cause difficulties when I want to verbally tell someone my username: John Doe one seven three five six two ... WHAT?!
This will not give you any additional security or privacy if the user can be found by username in the blockchain explorer (as shown in Demo #1 14:40) or by another method by performing search in DashDrive data.
To improve privacy (from screenshot leakage or from people behind the shoulder), it's better to just hide the username from the Home screen and show it only on your Profile page.
Home screen: with balance, notifications, transactions; Profile page: with username, avatar and other.

I like the simple and clean design of Chris. It most suits the concept of "your grandmother can use".
But personally I (like a techie) would like more information and more control over all events and my actions.
I.e. I need an app that my grandma is unlikely to want.
As Joshua noted, there are 3 different approaches and that one must think about how to synthesize them into one united design.
But in my understanding - creating a united design would be a wrong approach. It is impossible to please everyone, from techies to grandmas, by creating a united design - different categories of people will want to see different interface features and different approaches to interact with the app.
For example,
For the grandma, the "Send Dash" action should be as simple as possible - without unnecessary settings, checkboxes, sliders, anything that frightens or makes you doubt because of lack of understanding.
As an advanced wallet user, I would like: "Coin control", PrivateSend selection, InstantSend selection, fee value selection.
To get what we want, we need two different switchable designs, or two apps ;)

I would highly recommend watching this speech on TED (one of my favorite):
Malcolm Gladwell - Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce

"You had been looking for the perfect Pepsi Design. You're wrong. You should be looking for the perfect Pepsis Designs"

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for your critiques, @InhumanPerfection ! Yours & other's like you who contribute are helping us to make decisions.

On "switchable designs", I agree. Malcom Gladwell is one of my favorite authors. And this is one of my favorite talks.

I doubt, however, that there is appetite or support within DCG for taking on multiple variations of this initial collection of Evolution platform, protocol updates, & DAP compatible mobile application deliverables. Perhaps after we release, other non-DCG teams will jump in and fill the niches?

For now, there is general agreement that we need to focus on end-users, and delivering a solid base of functionality that is both useful and easy. We can iterate on the details.

Instead of hiding "scary" features, why not make explanations easily accessible? What ever happened to tooltips?

Careful not to pull a Microsoft... No one actually wants to use their software. It's only widespread because of entrenched monopoly. DASH has no such leverage to force people to do things they don't want...

Are non-dumbasses going to be forced to ignore EvoLoser and stick with dash-cli?

Instead of hiding "scary" features, why not make explanations easily accessible? What ever happened to tooltips?

Careful not to pull a Microsoft... No one actually wants to use their software. It's only widespread because of entrenched monopoly. DASH has no such leverage to force people to do things they don't want...

Are non-dumbasses going to be forced to ignore EvoLoser and stick with dash-cli?

Tooltips are great, but easily overused, and often don't help the context for the end-user. Tooltips are like instructions on a pen with the click-button in an odd place; that is, once you've figured out how to click it, now the tooltip is wasted screen real-estate. In most cases it's better to make the presentation easy-enough to figure out, and put safety barriers (prompts, warnings, tooltips, etc.) around potentially dangerous or destructive actions. Then as the user base matures the interface isn't cluttered with now-useless explanations.

I'm not sure how our open-source, MIT licensed platform release with an initial simple DAP client (Evolution Wallet) qualifies as competition for Microsoft software. I'm having trouble connecting similarities?

What sorts of use-cases do you feel are missing from this "non-dumbass" focused interface? Honestly I'm not sure that referring to those unfamiliar with crypto-currency as "dumb-asses" is helpful or useful, and our efforts to provide a simple interface to those users as "EvoLoser". It seems to demonstrate a perspective that does not align with the goals of Dash Core Group, as I understand them. Of course, I could be wrong, and I am open to correction here.

What's with the 6-confirmation progress bar? In a world of instant-send wouldn't that be archaic?

What's with the 6-confirmation progress bar? In a world of instant-send wouldn't that be archaic?

Technically, not yet. "InstantSend is not InstantSpend" is the mantra I'm using. That is, In order to *spend* InstantSend funds, the spender still needs 6 confirmations. This is a known issue, and we're exploring ways to communicate this limitation with end-users, in the right context, at the right time. Progress bars are a simple mechanism to communicate and engage end-users with this technical constraint.

General consensus among our most end-user (non-crypto-savvy) focused team members, however, is that we should "remove it (progress bars & confirmation counts) entirely" - however I foresee problems with this when end-users receive weird messages from the network about funds not being spendable, and I expect this experience will cause confusion with end-users. I'm currently working to find a balance here between failure, frustration, and education opportunities within the specific interactions. While this is not yet 100% resolved to team satisfaction, we have some options in our iterations to look at here.

InstantSend is not InstantSpend
Maybe you can do like this:

Mark these received funds with 2 different icons, say single checkmark and double checkmark. Single checkmark - when 1 confirmation for ordinary transaction OR when 0 confirmations for InstantSend transaction. Double checkmark - when 6 confirmations for any transaction (i.e. funds now InstantSend spendable).

When user trying to spend funds (assuming that Send button stands for InstantSend): Check - is there enought of fully confirmed funds (with 6 confirmations) in the wallet for entered amount?

If yes - user just press Send button.
If no - make Send button inactive and show on the button something that states "X of 6 confirmations (Y minutes remaining)" AND under/near the Send button show alternative link or button "Send cheaper but slowly NOW (~2.5 minutes to confirm your transaction)" (because these non-confirmed funds are still spendable with ordinary transaction).

When user is not in hurry to spend just received amount, he/she will not even notice these confirmations. When user in hurry to spend non-fully confirmed funds - he/she still have an option to spend them with ordinary transaction.

InstantSend is not InstantSpend

Thank you for the clarification!

I agree with your end-user focused team members. I think it is an edge case where a user receives instantly and turns around and wants to send the same funds instantly. No need for a progress bar 99% of the time. Just some kind of indicator perhaps in the transaction history that indicates the funds are not yet available to spend. IMHO

BTW that's a great mantra -- I'll try to repeat it as much as possible.

@InhumanPerfection - worth considering. We're looking a simple iconography also. Glad to see our thinking isn't completely off-base. Disabling buttons with explanation is a great way to teach end-users, IMHO. We'll have to be careful with that kind of interaction, though.

@jimbursch - Agree that progress bar isn't valuable in *most* cases. Again- a simple iconographic solution might suffice for the majority of contexts.

Back