• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

dash core: is the wallet encryption "passphrase" ACTUALLY the "seed"?

uniuniverse

CONFUSED???: After 1st installing dash core on a computer, In SETTINGS>ENCRYPT WALLET: dialog box sez: "Enter the new passphrase to the wallet. Please a passphrase of ten or more random characters OR eight or more words" This is not the 12/25 seed words talked about Or the "25th password word either. So is the 10 or more random characters ACTUALLY the seed? There is no 12 or 24 mnemonic words to write down. What is going on here?

The Dash Core wallet is a software wallet that per default do not use seeds, it uses password protected encryption.
It is mostly hardware wallets that use seeds and talk about 12/25 seed words or talk about the '25th password word'.

There is a way to active seeds inside the Dash Core software wallet, but personally i never used it
(devs did not activate it on default, for a reason).

The Dash Core wallet has a backup folder in its installation directory where it stores backups of your wallet.dat each time you close your wallet.
It is advised to also keep backups on a separate device (usb stick / offline usb drive). You can create backups from within your wallet.

Make sure you encrypt your wallet and store your password / passphrase somewhere safe and offline.

Last edited:
The Dash Core wallet is a software wallet that per default do not use seeds, it uses password protected encryption.
It is mostly hardware wallets that use seeds and talk about 12/25 seed words or talk about the '25th password word'.

There is a way to active seeds inside the Dash Core software wallet, but personally i never used it
(devs did not activate it on default, for a reason).

The Dash Core wallet has a backup folder in its installation directory where it stores backups of your wallet.dat each time you close your wallet.
It is advised to also keep backups on a separate device (usb stick / offline usb drive). You can create backups from within your wallet.

Make sure you encrypt your wallet and store your password / passphrase somewhere safe and offline.

Lordie, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! Just imagine one has a sizeable bank account in Dash and thinks they lost the 'seed' and it can never be recovered!!!!!! I have spent days looking for my Dash Core seed, wondering where I put it, when I'm so careful about these things.

You're the 1st person or site that published the simple truth about this! This is not small potatoes! I'm very careful about seeds and passwords and it so happens that the seed and pw is described in dash core so naturally, one would assume there is both a seed AND a password in the default state and the 'passphrase' is the '25th' word. Dash does nobody a service when they fail to add what you just mentioned. I hope the heck, Dash Core adds this explanation to their instructions! ....and thank you once again! Whooo!

The documentation for HD wallets has a paragraph explaining the difference between a seed phrase and the wallet lock password: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/wallets/dashcore/advanced.html#hd-wallets

We do not recommend using HD wallets with Dash Core unless you know what you are doing, as there is no GUI to support the functionality. You must interact at the command line or using the debug console.

Sure. Make sure you don't have any Dash stored in your current wallet or back it up safely. Then delete or rename the wallet.dat file in your data directory, e.g. ~/.dashcore on Linux. Start Dash with dash-qt --usehd and verify the HD indicator is present in the lower right corner of the application window. You can then add a password to encrypt your wallet as usual, and view your HD mnemonic seed by typing dumphdinfo in the debug console. Let me know how it goes :)

Back