• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Core Group Q4 2018 Summary Call - 7 February 2019

kot

Masternode Owner/Operator
Dear Dash Community Members,

In order to provide you with a transparent information about the development team efforts, we are in a process of preparation of the Dash Core Group Inc. quarterly call. The goal of this is to discuss project progress made during Q4 2018, hear comments from the management team and answer Community questions.

The call will take place on Thursday, 7th of February at 20:00 UTC. The call will be streamed live on Youtube, recorded and shared on the Dash Youtube channel.

The link to the Youtube stream:

Please prepare and submit your questions here in this thread or they are also being collected by @strophy . I
I suggest to send one question per user, as there will be limited time for answers.

EDIT:
Presentation slides are available in the following location: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/...sh-Core-Group-Q4-2018-Summary-Call.pdf?api=v2

Thank you
Robert Wiecko

Last edited:
Some of the questions from the monthly Q&A will be rolled over into the call as well - the list will be posted over the next 1-2 days. Please vote with thumbs up/down on questions posted in this thread so we can prioritise questions!

When will the new roadmap that was presented to us on an earlier quarterly call by Bob Carroll (CTO) as a new draft roadmap concept, be implemented on github and on our official Dash forum ? So we can finally start referring people to it....

Note : I understand our new roadmap will not have specific delivery dates, the calendar periods used in the draft concept (Q3 / Q4 / Q1) should be sufficient, once updated from draft.

Last edited:
You know what is the main question :) What is the official (can be conservative) roadmap with delivery dates?
I also think it bears mentioning...

Demands for delivery dates don't equate to demands that these dates actually be met... Those of us familiar with creating new stuff out of thin air really just want to see a target, not that it actually gets hit on the money every time... You can't achieve a goal if you're too timid and scared to even have a goal...

I think the expectation that dates not be missed is stifling the team's willingness to provide dates. We want to know what you're shooting for, even if you don't hit it.

You can't reach your goal if you don't have one. Stating it publicly helps motivate. Stop being so bashful about it. So people will say "Oh, DASH failed again." So what. Haters will find something to complain about anyway. Let it be the same old thing instead of helping them find a new angle...

Last edited:
Would someone like to comment about the FIO Protocol, "the foundation for interwallet operability", and how it relates to Dash's Blockchain Users?"

In short, they will provide cross-crypto usernames plus pull transactions e.g. recurring payments and refunds.

They have significant backers, including Edge Wallet, KeepKey and ShapeShift.

Should we work with them? Are there flaws in their strategy? Given that Blockchain Users is dash specific, how do initiatives like this affect us?

Thanks

https://www.ccn.com/meet-man-who-make-crypto-so-simple-your-grandma-use-it

https://fio.foundation/

Hey everyone, I'm looking forward to the call on Thursday. Just a few questions from me with a focus on merchants and integrations that I believe will be useful for the network and our partners to know in advance if possible.

1. Are there any features or functionality specifically planned for businesses in the Dashpay app or Evolution Account Management? Have businesses been asked for input or testing yet? If not when do you plan on having an Evolution alpha release to share with partners?

2. Will DCG be helping with integration partner testing for POS solutions that support Dash? So merchants can make a smooth transition allowing them to the ability to accept Dashpay username payments in sync with Evolution public launch?

Thanks for your time.

Mark

Can Fernando reveal the results of the Dash Core Group $1.5+ million USD funded proposals for a 6 month digital marketing campaign in 2018? How was the money spent and where are the results? Did this even happen?

The 2 proposals I'm referencing are below. One was an extension.

dashcentral.org/p/mrktng-feb-2018
Requested funding is as follows for the February 1st budget cycle:
€260,000 Euros 421.69 Dash (@ 616.57 € per Dash)

dashcentral.org/p/mrktg-coregroup-032018
Requested funding is as follows for the March 4th budget cycle:
$1.23 million USD Total: 1,711.49 Dash (@720.78 Dash / USD)

Thanks for the responses! I have combined these questions with those submitted on Discord, and attempted to group questions together, prioritising upvoted questions. Highly technical questions have lower priority, since they are best explained in writing. Current list:
  1. When will the new roadmap that was presented to us on an earlier quarterly call by Bob Carroll (CTO) as a new draft roadmap concept, be implemented on GitHub and on our official Dash forum? So we can finally start referring people to it.... Note: I understand our new roadmap will not have specific delivery dates, the calendar periods used in the draft concept (Q3 / Q4 / Q1) should be sufficient, once updated from draft. (qwizzie/PawełRzo)

Could you explain how the revised Evolution road map released a few months ago so completely missed the mark on delivery time frames? (name3)

2. Is this our fully updated whitepaper? https://github.com/dashpay/dash/wiki/Whitepaper (George Donnelly)

In the 2018 Q3 summary call in November, Bob mentioned that there are a series of (outdated) Evolution whitepapers from 2016/2017 that have not been released, and that he would like to release them because they have historical value. I have not heard anything about this since then - is this going to happen? (TroyDash)

3. Are there any features or functionality specifically planned for businesses in the Dashpay app or Evolution Account Management? Have businesses been asked for input or testing yet? If not when do you plan on having an Evolution alpha release to share with partners? (Mark Mason)

4. Is DCG planning on releasing an SDK or something to that effect ahead of 1.0 so that developers have time to build out dapps and integrations ahead of launch? I don't know how that might impact the timeline, but I think it would be an enormous benefit to jumpstart the dapp ecosystem. (Arthyron)

5. Will DCG be helping with integration partner testing for POS solutions that support Dash? So merchants can make a smooth transition allowing them to the ability to accept Dashpay username payments in sync with Evolution public launch? (Mark Mason)

6. Can Fernando reveal the results of the Dash Core Group $1.5+ million USD funded proposals for a 6 month digital marketing campaign in 2018? How was the money spent and where are the results? Did this even happen? The 2 proposals I'm referencing are below. One was an extension. (GA-mno)

7. Has DashCore formally applied to be listed on Coinbase either through direct communication or their web portal? (name3)

8. My understanding is that development for Evolution was done in private repositories for good reasons when the project started. Now that patents are granted, making them public might raise investor confidence, stimulate collaboration, and maybe get us to the final product faster. Do the costs of keeping them private still outweigh the benefits of making them public? (JulioDash)

9. Can we please see the details of all the patents DCG has? If they're significant and already granted, have we considered marketing them to the cryptocurrency space? (JulioDash)

10. Given that Dash Core is focusing on traders as one of it's 5 main focus points why are Dash withdrawal fees from 3 of our biggest exchange integrations so high and do Dash Core think it's of significant importance to get them reduced? (Ageless)

11. Did any member of Dash Core Group have any kind of personal relationship to any employee of Wachsman PR before the partnership began and if so how has this impacted the initiation, duration and nature of the business relationship DCG has with Wachsman? (macrochip)

12. How many Masternodes do current members of Core control? (name3)

13. What pieces of Evo MVP are still missing after the release of 0.14? (fuzzyduck)

14. At what price point will DCG begin to lower their budget request? (bitterseatrading)

15. With the recent controversy about Patreon deplatforming Sargon of Akkad there has been a movement searching for a solution to this censorship of money. A lot of popular personalities (Jordan Peterson, Dave Rubin, Sam Harris etc) that have fans in the numbers of millions are seeking to either find or create alternatives to services like Patreon. This seems like the chance that crypto was waiting for to make it's adoption advance in the Western World since places with financial instability (VZ, Zim) already have reasons enough to use crypto. What is DCG doing to advertise the possibility of using Dash or even collaborating with such efforts? (Ichigo13)

16. Does DCG have a contingency plan for a possible 51% attack? (BlockchainTech)

17. Would someone like to comment about the FIO Protocol, "the foundation for interwallet operability", and how it relates to Dash's Blockchain Users?" In short, they will provide cross-crypto usernames plus pull transactions e.g. recurring payments and refunds. They have significant backers, including Edge Wallet, KeepKey and ShapeShift. Should we work with them? Are there flaws in their strategy? Given that Blockchain Users is dash specific, how do initiatives like this affect us? Thanks (GrandMasterDash)

18. Will the blockchain usernames follow a similar pattern as CashAccounts (https://www.cashaccount.info/) JohnDoe#100 / JohnDoe@100 or a different pattern? Will down the road users be able to register [email protected] or their mobile number in the DashPay App and type the received verification code into DashPay which signs it as a message to confirm ownership? This will be the most PayPal / Venmo like feature which DashPay is regularly compared to. This also enables one to send Dash to an email or mobile number which is not yet registered and the recipient receiving a notification that they can register an account to receive the Dash (the Dash might be staged in DashPay until the account comes online and then the tx is written to the blockchain) which is a great new onboarding vector. (dashameter)

19. With the enabling of DIP3 (deterministic masternode list), and thus the random top 10% payout queue gone, can targeted DDOSing of the next in line for payments be a problem? I can imagine once Dash is worth substantially more, DDOSing masternodes above you in queue might be worth it, since they can be targeted specifically (fuzzyduck)

20. Can dash core, preferably a dash core dev, explain in detail the difference between a "data contract" and a "smart contract?" In particular, can you talk about the pros and cons of both and limitations associated with data contracts? (Ageless)

21. Are there studies on the possibility of having redundancy in masternodes in case of failure, so there can be automatic fallback to another node without interrupting service? (Jol)

22. Can we imagine a way to use the masternodes as repository for the Dash source code and binaries? With an app built on the top of evo and IPFS maybe? (Jol)

Hi @strophy I'm a bit late to the party but I'd like to ask for an update on BitGo if we can squeeze that in please? DCG asked for MNO's to support a $500K proposal for BitGo to integrate Dash, it's all seems to have gone quiet since it got funded. Have there been any notable integrations or developments since BitGo added Dash? If yes, what are they?

Thanks!

Walter

Hi All. Just to quickly response to 3 simple questions:

Is this our fully updated whitepaper? https://github.com/dashpay/dash/wiki/Whitepaper (George Donnelly)
No, this is the first Dash whitepaper produced and published by Evan and Daniel in 2015.

How many Masternodes do current members of Core control? (name3)
We don't have this kind of information available. We consider this a fully private information and don't ask our team members about such numbers. On the other hand, DCG as a company does not own any masternodes

Does DCG have a contingency plan for a possible 51% attack? (BlockchainTech)
I believe Bob provided some information about this here https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/51-wallet-claims.43099/#post-205685
Would you require some more details?

I am going to select 10 questions out of the list created by @strophy (thanks for your help mate) into the slide deck and the rest will be responded after the call (due to the time limitations and the fact we would like to gather some questions from the chat during the call). Thanks for understanding.

One more question from JulioDash:
Core_warning.png

Why does Dash Core not include software certificates for Windows and macOS in the binary distributions? The first thing many new users see when using our software is an error message with no clear instructions on what to do next.

8. My understanding is that development for Evolution was done in private repositories for good reasons when the project started. Now that patents are granted, making them public might raise investor confidence, stimulate collaboration, and maybe get us to the final product faster. Do the costs of keeping them private still outweigh the benefits of making them public? (JulioDash)
Do the benefits of keeping them private still outweigh the benefits of making them public?

The "costs" are an intangible speculation of a party pushing an agenda as if it were factual, with a slant toward implying that hype/pump is good.

Lets keep this objective and factual, shall we?

With the recent controversy about Patreon deplatforming Sargon of Akkad there has been a movement searching for a solution to this censorship of money. A lot of popular personalities (Jordan Peterson, Dave Rubin, Sam Harris etc) that have fans in the numbers of millions are seeking to either find or create alternatives to services like Patreon. This seems like the chance that crypto was waiting for to make it's adoption advance in the Western World since places with financial instability (VZ, Zim) already have reasons enough to use crypto. What is DCG doing to advertise the possibility of using Dash or even collaborating with such efforts? (Ichigo13)
DASH has long shared a much more extreme left desire to purge people for wrongthink than all other aspects of the Silicon Valley Mafia combined... I have experienced much of it first-hand. While I'd love to see a leopard change it's spots for the first time ever, I kinda doubt it.

Hello Dash community! Several folks have been asking about where we are with respect to the Dash Core.
Dash cryptocurrency, like bitcoin, is a digital currency which can be used to send.

Back