• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Core Group Q3 2018 Summary Call - 12 November 2018

It is possible to create such visualisation (but I am not sure if it would be 100% correct), however focus of the development team is completely elsewhere (Evo development and releases). We would encourage community members and other development teams to provide additional features like this one.

Evolution release will provide decentralised APIs and SDKs allowing developers easy integration. For non-technical people and solutions, 3rd parties are, in fact, the best option, as they remove necessity to maintain any code.

We don't have and don't want Woocommerce services on our website. Please clarify the question, as I think I am missing the point here.
Hey Cheers for the reply Kot.

The last part was unclear sorry.

I am looking to sell apparel through an independent website and accept Dash for payment.
I was hoping to have a easy-to-use 'window' on the web page in which people can place an order.
i.e. They fill in a few fields, £/$ they wish to pay, email, notes/comments, TxID
This would then send me an email notification with the relevant info, I could check the TxID and see if they'd payed the correct amount and send on the goods.

Is this only possible with a 3rd party at present? (Bearing in mind my coding skills are non-existent!)

Thanks

@lord2jays The only way to currently do this (without coding skills) is to use a third party provider. A worked example with screenshots and detailed instructions is available here: https://docs.dash.org/en/0.13.0/merchants/getting-started.html#woocommerce-and-gocoin

If you would prefer to run your own payment processing server, you should check out BTCPayServer. Dash is supported there, and there are detailed instructions on how to set it up, with a one-click Docker build coming.

Hey Cheers for the reply Kot.

The last part was unclear sorry.

I am looking to sell apparel through an independent website and accept Dash for payment.
I was hoping to have a easy-to-use 'window' on the web page in which people can place an order.
i.e. They fill in a few fields, £/$ they wish to pay, email, notes/comments, TxID
This would then send me an email notification with the relevant info, I could check the TxID and see if they'd payed the correct amount and send on the goods.

Is this only possible with a 3rd party at present? (Bearing in mind my coding skills are non-existent!)

Thanks
Thank you for the clarification.
That would require additional development, outside of the Dash Evolution Platform. These would be plug-ins and libraries for the e-commerce engines. We have started conversations about this internally, hoverer I also count on external vendors to deliver various plugins and extensions as soon as the platform is ready and released.

@lord2jays The only way to currently do this (without coding skills) is to use a third party provider. A worked example with screenshots and detailed instructions is available here: https://docs.dash.org/en/0.13.0/merchants/getting-started.html#woocommerce-and-gocoin

If you would prefer to run your own payment processing server, you should check out BTCPayServer. Dash is supported there, and there are detailed instructions on how to set it up, with a one-click Docker build coming.
Cheers Strophy,
I was actually thinking I could do it myself really but it's only a more clunky method which was why I thought a template designed by someone who knows what they're doing would be better.

I can always add a window to the website asking someone to make a payment request, they fill in a couple of fields and it generates an automatic email to my related account.
I then send them back a newly generated Dash address and the amount of Dash to send. They send me back a TxID and I take that as proof of purchase.

I can see crypto enthusiasts not minding the wait between replies but not regular punters/shoppers.

I just feel that a peer-to-peer crypto should function as such and not break down to peer-to-3rd party profit makers-to-peer just because someone wants to buy a bag. If anyone can facilitate and maintain the crypto-payment ethos I would have thought it would be Dash.
I'm not having a go at anyone it's just something to consider.

Thank you for the clarification.
That would require additional development, outside of the Dash Evolution Platform. These would be plug-ins and libraries for the e-commerce engines. We have started conversations about this internally, hoverer I also count on external vendors to deliver various plugins and extensions as soon as the platform is ready and released.
Hey Kot,
that's fair enough, I wasn't really thinking it would specifically be part of an Evolution release, it really would help me out though.

I do realise I'm sounding a bit 'I want my cake and eat it' but it just irks me a bit that, within a relatively simple peer-to-peer scenario, I have to bridge a gap with a 3rd party who hold dominion over the functionality of my whole business.
For example, say I'm using a plug-in by WooCommerce and they suddenly have a bug or an attack or what-have-you, that means ALL potential transactions I might make through my website are up the Swanee until their plug-in regains function, if it ever does. I don't really like the sound of that and it goes against the decentralization of using crypto in the first place IMO.

I'm not putting this to you in a 'what are you gonna do about it then??!!??' kind of way, just trying to give you an argument for perhaps bringing the functionality afforded by a plug-in under the Dash decentralised umbrella.

I would have thought there could/should be a more elegant solution to making payments through the Dash blockchain whereby two people can make a payment to each other using the TxID and blockchain itself as proof of transfer of funds, with maybe a universal conversion built in from coinmarketcap (or similar).

Instead, using a 3rd party plug-in, there will be payment IDs, order numbers, receipts, % fees etc etc which have to be generated outside of the actual blockchain transaction, making the whole process (arguably) more clunky and unappealing than using current banking methods.

@lord2jays Just to be clear - I absolutely agree with you and I would love to have these plugins and extensions developed internally.
Unfortunately the reality is that we don't have enough resources (read money, time and people) to build an additional team and include these into our product portfolio.

It might look like easy to achieve, e.g. just 1-2 additional developers would resolve this problem. The reality is that it would be much more complex task - development is just a part of the work to be done. We would have to incorporate this into the product strategy, hire additional Product Owner to maintain requirements, keep an eye on the changes on all of the e-commerce platforms, integrate with all of the marketplaces with these components (each platform has it's own marketplace), create and maintain documentation (technical and non-technical), ensure QA and marketing of the new products, create a support team to handle bugs etc. So the complexity of this is much larger than we can afford at the moment.

There is entire market of companies delivering plugins and extensions and this is their core business. Our core business is crypto and payments and we do not have developers specialized in plugins development (and we don't even have an intention to create such team atm). I hope that these external companies will recognize an opportunity in developing extensions for Dash Evo and will support our expansion to the e-commerce world.

Last edited:
Dear Community Members,

Please find the answers to the outstanding two questions below:

Question: When will Private Send be integrated in Dashpay for iOS?
Answer: We were referring to the PrivateSend implementations in the Community Q&A - October 2018: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/community-q-a-october-2018.41761/
Let me quote: During the next few weeks we plan to hold discussions on product strategy (for all products). The PrivateSend topic will be discussed as a part of a broader strategy topic, so this is in the process of decision making. After these discussions, we will be much better positioned to provide an answer to this question, and will aim to provide an update during the next Q&A round.

There are improvements in the PS implementation being developed by the team, however there was no decision made on when PS will be integrated in iOS wallet. We will keep you posted about the roadmap changes as a part of the monthly updates (we are working on the new format of the monthly report).

Question: How will you guy protect private transactions if gov. can just buy a master node?
Answer: A user’s PrivateSend balance is prepared through a series of mixing transactions. At a minimum, these balances must be mixed at least twice to be considered private. The current default setting is four rounds, but the user has the option to increase the number of mixing rounds up to sixteen. Each additional round of mixing exponentially increases the difficulty of tracing a transaction. Even if a malicious actor owned hundreds of masternodes, there is a negligible probability of determining a transaction’s source of funds with more than a few rounds of mixing, because they would need to operate the masternodes associated with all mixing rounds. Even when operating 50% of the network, an attacker would have almost no chance of determining the source address of a PrivateSend transaction utilizing the maximum sixteen rounds.

@lord2jays Just to be clear - I absolutely agree with you and I would love to have these plugins and extensions developed internally.
Unfortunately the reality is that we don't have enough resources (read money, time and people) to build an additional team and include these into our product portfolio.

It might look like easy to achieve, e.g. just 1-2 additional developers would resolve this problem. The reality is that it would be much more complex task - development is just a part of the work to be done. We would have to incorporate this into the product strategy, hire additional Product Owner to maintain requirements, keep an eye on the changes on all of the e-commerce platforms, integrate with all of the marketplaces with these components (each platform has it's own marketplace), create and maintain documentation (technical and non-technical), ensure QA and marketing of the new products, create a support team to handle bugs etc. So the complexity of this is much larger than we can afford at the moment.

There is entire market of companies delivering plugins and extensions and this is their core business. Our core business is crypto and payments and we do not have developers specialized in plugins development (and we don't even have an intention to create such team atm). I hope that these external companies will recognize an opportunity in developing extensions for Dash Evo and will support our expansion to the e-commerce world.
Yo, cool cool.
What with the $ value of Dash diving I imagine you et al @ Dash have more than enough on your collective plates.
Perhaps time will sort a solution more to my liking as the crypto space develops.

I look forward to accepting Dash on my website soon and will be flying the flag for crypto usability!

Peace

Question: When will Private Send be integrated in Dashpay for iOS?
Couldn't this problem be (at least partially) solved by HD seeds?

If the iOS app is HD-capable, "recover" the seed from "dashd -usehd" followed by "dash-cli dumphdinfo"

Now, they're both running the same deterministic chain. Let your computer mix, and the iOS app will simply follow the chain to it's end... iOS app doesn't need to do any mixing. Your mobile device simply needs the ability to identify and sign denominations, not the whole shebang.

[shrug]

Back