• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Birthday / Trademark Resolution / Blocksize Limitation

I think I read/heard somewhere that with evolution InstantX will be capable of hundreds of thousands of transactions per second. Does every transaction have to be included in a block still? If so we're going to need some really big blocks. With 20mb blocks it's still only 540 transactions per second. Are we just assuming that the growth in networking technology with outpace transaction volume growth?

Also surly quite a few transactions are required during mixing for Darksend? The Bitcoin network doesn't have to deal with these transactions (I know dome people may use third party mixing services).

I was wondering, if Evolution will have Masternodes decide the inclusion of all transactions, why not change the block timing to once per hour? Can the network safely store the "pre-block" information? Can the network propagate such large blocks? Would this make the block space being used more efficient? Would it introduce new attack vectors? Just wondering if this has been considered. It seems to me that the blocks would be more efficient, leaving less empty space in the chain.

I think I read/heard somewhere that with evolution InstantX will be capable of hundreds of thousands of transactions per second. Does every transaction have to be included in a block still? If so we're going to need some really big blocks. With 20mb blocks it's still only 540 transactions per second. Are we just assuming that the growth in networking technology with outpace transaction volume growth?

Also surly quite a few transactions are required during mixing for Darksend? The Bitcoin network doesn't have to deal with these transactions (I know dome people may use third party mixing services).

I don't understand your question. Bitcoin has gone over 1600 transactions in a single block already, only 1 mb size. Dash currently has 4X that capacity because of 4X the block speed. The thing that constricts the number of transactions per second is the ability for a computer to process them. However, with Evolution, there will no longer be a single miner processing transactions and including them in the blockchain, but rather, at current MN numbers, 350 quorums of Masternode computers processing the information. So with no restriction to the size of blocks, Dash can, with it's current infrastructure, process at least 1600 X 350 = 360,000 transactions per block and at 4X the blocks per day as Bitcoin, 2,240,000 transactions per day. In comparison, Visa does 150 million transactions per day, so yes, we do still need to grow :)

What I would like to know is, can we have a flexible block size? Can the block size change in accordance to pressure, much like the difficulty changes for mining? If we could do that, and not be subject to sybil attacks, we can keep the blockchain growth to a minimum.

I don't understand your question. Bitcoin has gone over 1600 transactions in a single block already, only 1 mb size. Dash currently has 4X that capacity because of 4X the block speed. The thing that constricts the number of transactions per second is the ability for a computer to process them. However, with Evolution, there will no longer be a single miner processing transactions and including them in the blockchain, but rather, at current MN numbers, 350 quorums of Masternode computers processing the information. So with no restriction to the size of blocks, Dash can, with it's current infrastructure, process at least 1600 X 350 = 360,000 transactions per block and at 4X the blocks per day as Bitcoin, 2,240,000 transactions per day. In comparison, Visa does 150 million transactions per day, so yes, we do still need to grow :)

When I talk about transactions per second I'm referring to the ability of the network to store transactions on the blockchain. A 20mb block can theoretically store 84,000 transactions. With a block time of 2.5 mins this works out to a storage capacity of approximately 540 transactions per second.

If InstantX can process say 200,000 tps but the blockchain only store 540 tps then there seems to be an issue.

I was wondering, if Evolution will have Masternodes decide the inclusion of all transactions, why not change the block timing to once per hour? Can the network safely store the "pre-block" information? Can the network propagate such large blocks?

Since you cannot spend coins until after they have been confirmed on the blockchain this would not be a great idea.

Voted - yes - with 1 MN

ugh - still trying to get access to an new IP addy, to get the 2nd Pi -MN plugged in - ugh
Gotta love it when people flake on ya
I should know better than to depend on anybody else.... ugh

Voted as well. Had to use the daswhale. Wasn't able to do it from the wallet for some reason. Kept getting some errors. I'd like to see the wallet voting developed some more to make the process smoother. I think it's very important to have anonymous decentralized voting working straight from the wallet in a easy to use and reliable fashion.

Happy Birthday Dash!!!

i votet yes with all my masternodes!! Great job.
Hope we will se it before Bitcoins has a 2 mb blocksize...
i am pretty sure will have a 2 mb blocksize before bitcoin has it!! :)
this would be huge...

proposal made on 18.01.
implemented on 18. 02. :)))))
this would be huge for us!!!

one more question:
Is it now possible that apple will confirm the iPhone wallet because of the new name of the foundation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Birthday Dash!!!

i votet yes with all my masternodes!! Great job.
Hope we will se it before Bitcoins has a 2 mb blocksize...
i am pretty sure will have a 2 mb blocksize before bitcoin has it!! :)
this would be huge...

proposal made on 18.01.
implemented on 18. 02. :)))))
this would be huge for us!!!

one more question:
Is it now possible that apple will confirm the iPhone wallet because of the new name of the foundation?
Pray. :tongue:

Back