• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Birthday / Trademark Resolution / Blocksize Limitation

eduffield

Core Developer
Hello Everyone!

As many of you know January 18th is the birthday of Dash and makes the project two years old. During that time we’ve accomplished an amazing amount as a team and as a community. I would like to congratulate everyone involved and it’s been a very exciting year and we’re super excited to see what we all can accomplish in the coming months and years.

Happy Birthday Dash!

qWm6hFS2-NyzSO3d9yvA4TtyoZvl21G6wYTwJPjD4YfpRgPwHHylCj4JEKwk5xgtjVXPsWRM6aTzlRgFOD6EER3w0fnRUhpYVC_qqhL1AsdS9ZUxGuh79X1OWPTN_8nIXXA3LnYA

Trademark Resolution

We are also happy to announce the legal procedures have concluded and we and our service providers can safely use the brand Dash in everything that relates to virtual currencies. With this Dash becomes one of the few cryptocurrency projects with well-defined trademark rights.

This was the first big win for the Foundation, and we would like to thank them for their hard work over the past year on all of these legal matters.. Their work has been been invaluable to our currency and will undoubtedly continue to serve us well. Also, we need to thank the Foundation members for their financial support. Without their fees we would not have been able to afford the necessary legal work, since it began long before we had the blockchain governance system in place. As a side note, the resolution of the trademark issue means we can officially rename the foundation from the Darkcoin Foundation to the Dash Foundation.

Block Size Limitation Increase

We would also like to propose we raise the Dash block size limitation to 2MB to prepare for the future growth of the network. We want to know if the stakeholders support this idea. For this, we would like the nodes to vote using our decentralized governance system to make sure we have the community behind us.

With the current 1MB block size limit we have approximately 4x the capacity of the Bitcoin project in transactions per second capability, due to the 2.5 minute block spacing and a current 1MB blocksize. With our current limitations our network could theoretically allow nearly 28 transactions per second. We propose a change to a 2MB block size limitation, allowing up to 56 transactions per second. This will allow the currency to grow to approximately 8x the current transactional capacity of the Bitcoin project. It is important to plan for the long term success of the network and future adoption, by making this change we will be ready to scale and also give ourselves ample time to continue research and development to look for additional ways to improve efficiencies of the network.

The reason why raising the block size limit is not a centralization concern on our network is because of the full node incentive model. As the volume and usage rise on our network, the profits of the masternode network will also increase, creating excess funding to process the extra bandwidth without losing decentralization. This is in sharp contrast to projects without a full node incentive program, due to the inverse relationship between the full-node count and bandwidth requirements.

To implement 2mb blocks and prepare for Evolution, we must take care of some security concerns as well. There is a concern even with 1MB blocks that an attacker could add a transaction that takes 30 seconds to process, with 2MB blocks it’s actually possible to add a 10 minute script to process (https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3yulwv/any_examples_of_the_10_minute_script_thats_a/). To close these attack vectors there will be no more “ completely free” transactions in blocks, instead we will use a flat fee per kb when adding transactions to the blockchain that should be negligible for normal usage. This can be done via the spork code, which can set system-wide variables in the code. Once set, all blocks will be subject to this limitation, otherwise will be rejected by the network.

As far as determining if this proposal passes, we will consider more yes votes than no votes approval by the network as long as more than 33% of the network votes. If less than 33% of the network votes, we will consider the proposal denied and will not raise the blocksize limitation.

If approved, a proper development, testing and deployment process would start before it reaches production. Let’s give Dash room to grow.

If you support this proposal, please vote yes for the following:

mnbudget vote 74e9003906b2ddba7b0115e9bc728367255122cf8da64b5bafec22b9d35683af yes

Thank you for your continued support,

Evan Duffield

Excellent!
Great we can have Dash Foundation now.
Evan what bandwidth increase are we talking about?
Is mining with 2mb blocks will become even harder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work, congratz to the foundation on securing proper trademark rights. That is a great boost of confidence for the investors.

Also, lets raise that blocksize limit! Go Dash always leading and pushing the limits! Literally this time. I vote Yes!

And most importantly Happy Birthday Dash! What an amazing first 2 years!

Amazing work. My yes vote is on its way.

Trademark Resolution
We are also happy to announce the legal procedures have concluded and we and our service providers can safely use the brand Dash in everything that relates to virtual currencies. With this Dash becomes one of the few cryptocurrency projects with well-defined trademark rights.
This was the first big win for the Foundation, and we would like to thank them for their hard work over the past year on all of these legal matters.. Their work has been been invaluable to our currency and will undoubtedly continue to serve us well. Also, we need to thank the Foundation members for their financial support. Without their fees we would not have been able to afford the necessary legal work, since it began long before we had the blockchain governance system in place. As a side note, the resolution of the trademark issue means we can officially rename the foundation from the Darkcoin Foundation to the Dash Foundation.

Can you please give us more details about what will be protected by this trademark resolution?

I'm tempted to vote yes. The only concern I have is the mining profitability. Some say DASH is not very profitable to mine as of now. Won't this change make DASH mining even less appealing and risk a drop in hashing power, which can have side effects?

Amazing work. My yes vote is on its way.

Can you please give us more details about what will be protected by this trademark resolution?

As I understand it, you can now legitimately open up a business using our Dash name&logo without fear of the Kardashians sueing you silly :tongue:

I'm tempted to vote yes. The only concern I have is the mining profitability. Some say DASH is not very profitable to mine as of now. Won't this change make DASH mining even less appealing and risk a drop in hashing power, which can have side effects?

How is that? Block time would remain the same 2.5mins with the same rewards system. What am I missing?

imagine if we managed to reach 2M blocksize before bitcoin and the news spread heard by everyone LOL 0.5 btc per Dash is possible

As I understand it, you can now legitimately open up a business using our Dash name&logo without fear of the Kardashians sueing you silly :tongue:

I hope you're right and everyone (especially people believing in the project) will be entitled to use Dash logo and name.

(« Current Dash price is $2.62 »… There is something depressingly broken in DashTalk… :) )

Congratulations everyone! Such a great community and team behind this project, love it :)

I have a feeling birthday #3 is going to be a corker ;)

I hope you're right and everyone (especially people believing in the project) will be entitled to use Dash logo and name.

Yes, we had a trademark litigation case going for a long time. We could not talk a lot about it because it would affect our chances. We finally reached a friendly agreement with the other party and the case has concluded. All contracts signed and sealed. Dash has the right to use the Dash brand in anything and everything related to virtual currencies, also Dash third party services have this same right. Exchanges, services providers, etc.

We can't reveal a lot more detail because there is still a confidentiality clause in the contract. The important part is we no longer have any potential trademark liability and neither does any Dash service provider or Dash related 3rd party business.

Yes, we had a trademark litigation case going for a long time. We could not talk a lot about it because it would affect our chances. We finally reached a friendly agreement with the other party and the case has concluded. All contracts signed and sealed. Dash has the right to use the Dash brand in anything and everything related to virtual currencies, also Dash third party services have this same right. Exchanges, services providers, etc.

We can't reveal a lot more detail because there is still a confidentiality clause in the contract. The important part is we no longer have any potential trademark liability and neither does any Dash service provider or Dash related 3rd party business.

Ooops... I hope it's not the Kardashians then, as per my previous post! It was a joke :oops: :what:

Back