Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Darksend Rebranding Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TaoOfSatoshi, Apr 22, 2016.

1. TheDashGuy

TheDashGuy Well-known Member

PrivateTx? Just call it what it is, don't make people think too much.

edit:

Evan said it best. They don't need names, they are features of Dash and should be called such, we can have nicknames for the features but we should just explain that instant transactions are part of Dash and so on.

2. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

I agree, these features should be unnamed in future versions of Dash - a integral part of the package. Whatsapp introduced end-to-end encryption some days ago, did they name it "encryptiX"?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Macrochip

Macrochip Active Member

No because it's default and you can't turn it on or off voluntarily like we can do with IX and DS over the Dash-Qt GUI. I fully agree that names can be ditched when the feature becomes default and not a choice. But until that's the case we still have to worry about naming opt-in features for distinction and marketing purposes.

4. crowning

crowning Well-known Member

That's okay for the documentation, but that can't be put on a checkbox or button of the wallet. For this we need good replacements for Darksend and/or InstantX. IMO InstantX is already quite good, I wouldn't replace it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. David

David Well-known Member
    Dash Support Group

I agree with this. I think the "dark" part of "Darksend" is toxic and needs to go as soon as possible. If it means a temporary rebranding that's eventually removed, that's fine with me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David

David Well-known Member
    Dash Support Group

I can only imagine..."Darksent" to "PrivacyProtected" being only the tip of the iceberg on that one..

7. fible1

fible1 Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Masternode Owner/Operator

I like PrivacyProtect.

Pablo.

8. Ch0nG

Ch0nG Member

When it comes to public documentation the naming of various Dash technology is unnecessary, IMO. While the specifics should be easily found by anyone willing to ask/look for it, Jane and Joe Public generally don't care about how it works, they only care that it is easy to use and does what is promised. Just tell the public Dash is private, secure and instant.

95% (!) of users won't change the defaults or want to mess with anything, even to make things more private. (See this article: https://www.uie.com/brainsparks/2011/09/14/do-users-change-their-settings/) IMO PrivacyProtect/DarkSend and InstantX should be the default, invisible to most users while letting them benefit from the privacy, security and speed of Dash.

9. TaoOfSatoshi

TaoOfSatoshi Grizzled Member

I think the point is well taken that in the future, these names won't be needed. However for now, in V12.1, we will need to have these names sorted out. If the marketing whizzes do their jobs and bring people in, I want them to be greeted with an easy to understand wallet. The terms PrivateSend and InstantSend represent their functions well, IMHO PrivacyProtect and InstantX do not.

Once these terms are set, no need to change them again.

In the future it will just be Dash.

#39 TaoOfSatoshi, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gi01

Gi01 Member

eduffield, while I think you are great "Dark" is something that shouldn't be on the wallet for mktg purposes. That's why I would remove it for sure and also make "Instant" a little easier to understand

11. Gi01

Gi01 Member

eduffield, while I think you are great "Dark" is something that shouldn't be on the wallet for mktg purposes. That's why I would remove it for sure and also make "Instant" a little easier to understand

12. TheUltraaliens

TheUltraaliens New Member

Greetings,

It seems that the "PrivacyProtect" feature solely renders chosen Dash balances/transactions indiscernible via the Dash Blockchain.

I see it from a slightly different but additional perspective.

The whole of Dash Evolution should benefit from "PrivacyProtect" including any social interactions within the "user" namespace.

"Privately" as a feature name suggests that all within Dash Evolution environment "can" be rendered indiscernible via the Dash Blockchain.

e.g. Chat "Privately", transact "Privately", store (DashDrive) "Privately" etc...

Back in a Dash

TheUltraAliens

• Like Like x 1
  13. Defacto

Defacto Member

Dash Address:
    Xj8PUS4r9vk5y8BvoovMoRpbhHXuW6uj5o
    In most cases shorter is better. So PrivateX and InstantX. But... But people need to memorize and remember what specific function does... So PrivateSend and InstantSend are more clear. What about right to use all mentioned names? Does anyone checked that?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Solarminer

Solarminer Well-known Member

Agree. There needs to be a way to explain the different functions. InstantX has a fee and is faster - you can't just say I sent it the fast way...It makes no sense. We need positive connotation names like InstantSend and PrivateSend until they are not separate functions anymore.

The InstanTX and PrivaTX could work. But the TX has to be creatively put in the logo so it looks like the TX in transaction. If these words are converted to another language, will they end with a T so the TX works? The translation might not work.

InstantSend and PrivateSend are easy to say and spell. At this point - less confusing is way more important than trying to be cute with word blends. If you look at other languages it should be simple to just replace Instant, Private, and Send with another language. Actually for the benefit of using other languages this is a really good option.

PrivacyProtect might be good as a trademark for security. But it is too long for an actual function that you need to describe to others. Protect doesn't really add meaning here. Mining and the blockchain already protect your funds. Bringing it up as an option, just makes it confusing.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bridgewater

Bridgewater Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

It seems to me like the name depends upon the feature implementation in the software interface.

If it is a global setting, i.e. a "privacy mode," then PrivacyProtect seems appropriate.

If it is a per-transaction choice of how to send funds, then PrivateSend seems appropriate.

• Like Like x 2
  16. jpr

jpr Active Member

You mean something like darksend trasactions would be in a different sidechain or something and recognizable by a merchant who could decide not to accept any premixed coins?

17. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Why not add a poll to the thread?

PrivateSend and InstantSend seem like the best choice.

18. eduffield

eduffield Core Developer

No I mean, what if we have one implementation of Darksend on Tier 1 and another implementation on Tier 3 using the messaging system? Is the second implementation Lightsend? What do we call that?

19. qwizzie

qwizzie Well-known Member

This would have my vote too, we wouldn't have to change anything with regards to InstantX and we can focus all our attention on
    the rebranding from Darksend to PrivateX.
    With good marketing this should not form a problem.

20. TaoOfSatoshi

TaoOfSatoshi Grizzled Member

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lariondos

Lariondos Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

Evan mentioned his thoughts on the Roundtable show !

• Like Like x 1