• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

COMPLETE MASTERNODE GUIDE (WINDOWS LOCAL + LINUX REMOTE @VULTR)

Hey there,

Many thanks for your instructions on setting up the hot/cold masternode config, i'm trying to do this and these are the best instructions I found.

Sorry for the noob questions, I am fairly new to advanced wallet usage, but 2 things I can't figure out here:

1. If the linux server has the private key of the remote windows masternode wallet in it, can't the cold wallet on windows be reclaimed by a hacker using just the private key on the server? (guessing I have missed something basic here)

2. I have a few masternodes I picked up recently, is it possible to run multiple remote windows wallets on one box - for example having multiple windows users logged in at the same time and have a drk wallet open with a different port on each?

EDIT: I just saw someone asked about #1 and its a different private key on the linux server? still bit confused :)

Thanks

Andy

I think you're confusing your masternode key and your wallet private key (wallet password). Without the wallet password, nobody is getting any funds from your cold wallet.

I think you're confusing your masternode key and your wallet private key (wallet password). Without the wallet password, nobody is getting any funds from your cold wallet.

ok thanks that explains it. so its just the masternode key on the linux server and not the private key from windows. thanks!

Be wary of my explanations as I am still trying to fully understand the fundamentals of this technology myself. I have a dangerous amount of knowledge with a load of big gaps in the middle.

However, the masternodeprivkey that is in both of your conf files in a local cold - remote masternode is certainly not usable to unlock your local wallet and spend funds.

Be wary of my explanations as I am still trying to fully understand the fundamentals of this technology myself. I have a dangerous amount of knowledge with a load of big gaps in the middle.

However, the masternodeprivkey that is in both of your conf files in a local cold - remote masternode is certainly not usable to unlock your local wallet and spend funds.

No probs, very helpful thanks.

Does anyone know if it's possible to run multiple masternode wallets side-by-side on a single windows machine?

EDIT: I found this for mutiple wallets on Linux so am looking for Windows solution https://darkcointalk.org/threads/creating-your-second-third-fourth-etc-masternodes.1957/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is possible.

Firstly, backup your existing wallet! (I accidentally overwrote a wallet trying this)

I run 5 masternodes so I have five subdirectories under User/Appdata/Roaming/Darkcoin called MN1, MN2, MN3, MN4, MN5

Create these folders empty.

Create a shortcut to QT and edit the target of the shortcut to read ....darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=c:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\MN1\

When you run this shortcut it will create a wallet and other necessary files in the subfolder MN1

Create folder for MN2...create shortcut for MN2...rinse repeat.

No probs, very helpful thanks.

Does anyone know if it's possible to run multiple masternode wallets side-by-side on a single windows machine?

EDIT: I found this for mutiple wallets on Linux so am looking for Windows solution https://darkcointalk.org/threads/creating-your-second-third-fourth-etc-masternodes.1957/

Yeah you can run the qt wallet as another local windows user and configure the darkcoin.conf file for each user account, or use the datadir option in a windows shortcut to the qt wallet for each instance of a config file

Yeah you can run the qt wallet as another local windows user and configure the darkcoin.conf file for each user account, or use the datadir option in a windows shortcut to the qt wallet for each instance of a config file

Yes, it is possible.

Firstly, backup your existing wallet! (I accidentally overwrote a wallet trying this)

I run 5 masternodes so I have five subdirectories under User/Appdata/Roaming/Darkcoin called MN1, MN2, MN3, MN4, MN5

Create these folders empty.

Create a shortcut to QT and edit the target of the shortcut to read ....darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=c:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\MN1\

When you run this shortcut it will create a wallet and other necessary files in the subfolder MN1

Create folder for MN2...create shortcut for MN2...rinse repeat.

Exactly like this ^

Sorry for the noob question, but is there any differences to following this guide for RC5 instead of RC4?

thanks

I am trying to download wallet
wget wget darkcoin-0.10.14.1-linux.tar.gz (cant post the link, so jsut added the end)
but all I get is 404 error. Do you guys perhaps know, what I am doing incorrectly?

You should start with https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/ where you verify what is the latest linux binaries... and download them.
Today this is https://raw.githubusercontent.com/d...naries/master/darkcoin-0.10.14.1-linux.tar.gz

If you are getting 404 error then there is a problem with above file (although it works fine with me) or your server/internet connection.
If you get any other error post it here.

Since this is HTTPS now, you might solve your ssl/cert related problem by using this parameter for wget:

wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/d...naries/master/darkcoin-0.10.14.1-linux.tar.gz

I am trying to setup testnet masternodes using Vultr (based on weirddog's guide) but stuck in changing the root password. Anyone is using Vultr at the moment? Help would be appreciated.

Back