• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can't detect valid external address - unable to start MN

Curacao

Dear Community,

I've come here to find help with our masternode. Ever since the release of 0.12 we're unable to start our masternode. We've done a complete reinstall and used the previous dash.conf file. However we are unable start the MN. The error we're getting is:
Not capable masternode: Can't detect valid external address. Please consider using the externalip configuration option if problem persists. Make sure to use IPv4 address only

Our conf file looks as follows:
pcuser=REMOVED
rpcpassword=REMOVED
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
externalip=190.RE.MO.VED
masternodeprivkey=REMOVED

We have not changed anything in our network setup. Basically it's running on a host behind our router/firewall which has port TCP 9999 forwarded to this host. This worked fine previously.

Kindly please advice us how to proceed.

Regards,

Try format maternode.conf as the clue inside the file on local node.
let dash.conf empty.Active the node from "masternode" menu on main page.

Does the line in your dash.conf look like

externalip=190.RE.MO.VED

or

externalip=190.RE.MO.VED:9999

To answer oaxaca:
Without the port number, thus for example:
externalip=190.1.2.3

I'm going to re-try with the latest release now, I will try to get some relevant debug output.

The dash.conf file is for the remote / server side (the computer that stays on with a running dashd node) But the local, funded wallet needs the masternode.conf file. Do you have it set up this way? Make sure you're following a current tutorial, like the ones on the Dash wiki (posted by tungfa)

Hi All,

Over the weekend we've tried it various ways, including with and without the externalip option, also with and without port. The remote wallet (with the 1000 dash) uses the masternode.conf as described in the documentation, and is started with "start masternode alias mn1" (if I remember correctly). We get a "success" message, and the masternode is trigered and quickly fails as it somehow can't detect and/or connect to the it's external IP. See debugging output:

2017-03-03 23:13:55 AcceptConnection -- masternode is not synced yet, skipping inbound connection attempt
2017-03-03 23:13:55 CMasternodeBroadcast::Update -- Got UPDATED Masternode entry: addr=190.1.2.3:9999
2017-03-03 23:13:55 CActiveMasternode::ManageStateInitial -- Checking inbound connection to '190.1.2.3:9999'
2017-03-03 23:14:00 CActiveMasternode::ManageStateInitial -- NOT_CAPABLE: Could not connect to 190.1.2.3:9999

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go:

$ dash-cli mnsync status
{
"AssetID": 999,
"AssetName": "MASTERNODE_SYNC_FINISHED",
"Attempt": 0,
"IsBlockchainSynced": true,
"IsMasternodeListSynced": true,
"IsWinnersListSynced": true,
"IsSynced": true,
"IsFailed": false
}

Everything seems to be in working order. Dash Ninja even reports your port to be open, I don't know what could be the problem. Why don't you give it another try?

@UdjinM6

Wallet says successfull, mn says:

$ dash-cli masternode status
{
"vin": "CTxIn(COutPoint(0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000, 4294967295), coinbase )",
"service": "190.1.2.3:9999",
"status": "Not capable masternode: Could not connect to 190.1.2.3:9999"
}

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum... now it's reporting watchdog expired. Are you running sentinel? Does it give out any errors? Is it called successfully every minute on cron?

watchdog.png

Edit: Added image

Last edited:
I can't help any further. I would upgrade to 0.12.1.3, upgrade sentinel, and retry everything again, maybe even send the Dash to a new address and regenerate the MN private key. If it doesn't work, e-mail [email protected] with relevant debug logs and diagnostics.

I believe it's smth about the way router is configured i.e. it probably cuts connections from inside to its own outside address. I think you need to specify this route explicitly in router config to make it work.

Hi UdjinM6,

I thought so too, but I've made sure port TCP/9999 forwards on both the internal and external interface. In my firewall I can actually see the count of "internal" connections that have been forwarded back to the node. Again, this worked fine before 0.12.1.

I'm not sure why tbh, I can't reproduce this...
Do you have UPnP enabled on your router? If so, try -upnp flag (or upnp=1 in dash.conf).

Back