• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can someone confirm I'm doing this right?

GreenRaccoon23

This is totally a noob question, but I was wondering if someone could double check that my computer's mining correctly. That is, does this hashrate sound about right for my hardware? I've got one of those fancy AMD Kaveri 7850K APU's and I'm running sgminer under Linux. My pool's site reports my khash/s to be 716, and sgmimer reports my khash/s to be around 585.

Does this sound about right? I'm guessing it is, but I just want to make sure I'm not wasting any of my computer's potential. I have no idea what a normal hashrate is.

Another reason I ask is that my APU has 12 cores, but sgminer only runs with "GPU core 0." I was expecting it to run GPU cores 0 through 11. Also, I make it run with 2 threads, otherwise it'd be 1 thread. (I get the same total hashrate with either 2 threads or just 1 thread though--about 585 khash/s total.)

In case anyone wants to know, my sgminer parameters are auto-gpu, auto-fan, thread-concurrency 16384 (thread concurrency never makes a difference for me though), gpu-threads 2, and -I 21. I run it from an .sh file.

No idea what an AMD Kaveri 7850K is but 585 kH/s sounds like a decent hashrate for an APU.
Not understanding the question about the GPU threads. Is the APU an GPU accelerator?

Awesome. Thanks for responding! It's a week old computer, and I think the 7850K is a brand new APU model. I've read that pure GPU's can get like 4 times the hashrate, so I'm thinking about buying another graphics card to put in there too. I know I probably wouldn't make a profit, but I'm just doing this as a cool hobby.

For the thread question, I know the APU has 12 cores: 4 CPU and 8 GPU. When I use minerd, the number of threads matches the number of CPU cores. I was expecting sgminer to do the same thing for the GPU cores. But it doesn't look like sgminer works that way. Am I right?

Awesome. Thanks for responding! It's a week old computer, and I think the 7850K is a brand new APU model. I've read that pure GPU's can get like 4 times the hashrate, so I'm thinking about buying another graphics card to put in there too. I know I probably wouldn't make a profit, but I'm just doing this as a cool hobby.

For the thread question, I know the APU has 12 cores: 4 CPU and 8 GPU. When I use minerd, the number of threads matches the number of CPU cores. I was expecting sgminer to do the same thing for the GPU cores. But it doesn't look like sgminer works that way. Am I right?
sgminer uses all gpu cores by default. You can use the -g option to set the number of threads per gpu core.

Back